Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Teladi CEO

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Teladi CEO » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 19:01

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:32
Teladi CEO wrote:
Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:25
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 3. Apr 21, 17:20

I saw that yesterday. Doesn't really add up to me. Thousands of Trumpanzies didn't accomplish anything other than showing the world how truly depraved they are, and this guy thought he was going to do something by himself despite the heightened security around the capital? I recall seeing something in one of the articles where he had made some social media posts saying something along the lines that he could see clearly since he stopped taking some medications. Probably some sort of mental disorder is at play here.
I think it was more of a suicide by police deal, he sounded like he had a mental illness and never really got full treatment for it. He probably couldn’t handle the world and decided that if he was going to go out he would try to take the system or members of the system he despised out with him.

He seemed to think that Biden was the anti-Christ, so he was probably trying to attack his government in the name of god as well.
lol well, even that doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, it's pretty common knowledge that the president lives and works in the White House, not the capitol building. So if the "goal" is to take out Biden, he was pretty well off target. But then again, it's not like suicidal people are generally the rational type.
Oh no, I was trying to say he was attacking Biden himself. I was saying that he was trying to attack Biden’s government, ie anyone and everyone that works or aligns with him which includes Democrats, the police and national guard defending DC and any government workers.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 23:19

Chauvin has been found guilty on all 3 counts for the murder of George Floyd.

I sincerely hope this verdict heralds change for police accountability.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 02:33

What I heard from the evidence I'm not surprised he was found guilty. It was excessive force that he used and his excuse of it was because of Floyd's drug use, just didn't compute with me. One question that I never heard the defence witnesses being asked, was whether Floyd would still be alive today if Chauvin hadn't spent nine minutes with his knee on Floyd's neck.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 02:47

I think the prosecution pretty well established that it was Chauvin's knee on the neck of Floyd that killed him, so he would have more than likely lived otherwise.

Regardless, over the last few weeks alone there have been other executions by police, including one 13 year old boy they said aimed a weapon at cops but the body cam footage magically had something completely different recorded :gruebel: as well as yet another black man executed for having an air freshener hanging off of his rear view mirror. Not much "protecting and serving" going on among cops these days. This has got to stop.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 04:10

That shooting of the 13 year old is a hard one to call, as the kid and another guy had been shooting a gun at passing cars which is why the cops went after them in the first place, and he had just tosed a gun away just before he was shot, so he wasn't 100% innocent. But still, the American cops do seem to have a shoot before asking question policy. Also read the other day that the US are having problems recruiting new officers, as no one wants to be one under the current circumstances, which I don't blame them. America is really in need of a massive change in basically everything, it's a messed up country to say the least.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 05:01

Even if all of that is true, regarding the kid, the point is immediately after the cops shot him, their statement was that he aimed a weapon at them and took a shooting stance which the cops responded to by firing. However, the recording showed him turning around slowly with his empty hands in the air and they just gunned him down.

How many people have been killed where the cops said one thing but the reality was drastically different? This keeps happening over and over again and if it wasn't for cameras, they would be getting away with it without question.
rebellionpac.com

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 05:20

I agree with you that the police shootings in America is out of control. I'm just saying that that kid put himself in that situation with everything that is happening so it's not a good poster case for the cause when there are better or worst incidents that could be used, like the shooting of that guy in his car when the so called cop used the excuse of, I thought it was my taser that I was using. That kids shooting was 100% wrong and should never have happened, but he shouldn't have been firing a gun at cars passing by in the first place, all he did was give the police a reason to shoot him.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 07:26

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 02:47
Not much "protecting and serving" going on among cops these days. This has got to stop.
It seems to be an ingrained attitude in American police that the general public are somehow the enemy. Remember the Dark Judges from 2000AD, who decided that all crime was committed by the living so therefore life itself is a crime? That almost seems to be the attitude of American police--everyone who isn't a cop is either an actual criminal or likely to be one at some point, so treat them all the same.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 08:14

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 07:26
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Not much "protecting and serving" going on among cops these days. This has got to stop.
It seems to be an ingrained attitude in American police that the general public are somehow the enemy. Remember the Dark Judges from 2000AD, who decided that all crime was committed by the living so therefore life itself is a crime? That almost seems to be the attitude of American police--everyone who isn't a cop is either an actual criminal or likely to be one at some point, so treat them all the same.
Who knows... somewhere along the way they've forgotten that their duty is to enforce the law and leave the dispensing of justice to the courts, as is our constitutional right.

Other than ending this qualified immunity bs and whatever other police reforms that need to take place, I feel like sentences should be doubled for people that are found guilty of crimes committed while acting as law enforcement. If police are to be held to a higher standard, their punishments should be as well when they betray the public's trust.
rebellionpac.com

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 11:30

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 08:14
Other than ending this qualified immunity bs and whatever other police reforms that need to take place, I feel like sentences should be doubled for people that are found guilty of crimes committed while acting as law enforcement. If police are to be held to a higher standard, their punishments should be as well when they betray the public's trust.

I recall something like that was in Starship Troopers novel. The higher your autority, the higher standard, is required from you and harsher the penalty for breaking the law.

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 20:23

Personally, I know a few police officers, some are good people and some could be the next Derrick Chauvin.

The fact is that regardless if they are good or bad, all of them are undisciplined and untrained. Near where I live a state trooper was pursuing a fleeing vehicle, he drove the suspects car into a pedestrian, killing him instantly. He was a father on his way to work.

Perhaps if he coordinated with other police, and had the discipline to not inadvertently cause an innocents death that man would be with his kids.

Another police officer I knew thought it would be a good idea (I was a kid and I was camping with his kids) to light a pile of gun powder up in my face. Not only was I traumatized for years, my hair was set alight and I lost large chunks of it.

Another officer thought it was a good idea to throw a shovel into the air, it came down and cut into his sons head. (He survived)

I knew two of these officers, and I think this stand that officers are untrained and unprofessional, both in the workplace and that there private actions probably should have factored into their public actions. I thought this even before I saw the officer mistake her firearm for her taser. Police are supposed to practice constantly so this doesn’t happen.

They need increased training, review and need to be selected far better. I think Starship troopers did mention punishment based on standard. That those who were held to a higher regard should be punished to a higher regard. While I thing this sounds all right, should a soldier get 10 years in prison for petty theft, and your average person only 5? It’s the same crime just different people.

Police need
1) Better weapons training
2) Reduced weapons capability (I was stunned to see an officer with an AR-15 in a wealthy neighborhood with multimillion dollar houses)
3) Selectively picked to avoid extremists, and to fire those that are.
4) Greater community integration
5) Greater regulations on what ways they can subdue someone
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 20:44

Teladi CEO wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 20:23
They need increased training, review and need to be selected far better. I think Starship troopers did mention punishment based on standard. That those who were held to a higher regard should be punished to a higher regard. While I thing this sounds all right, should a soldier get 10 years in prison for petty theft, and your average person only 5? It’s the same crime just different people.
I think in most states, petty theft carries a max sentence of 1 year for a first time offender, so 2 years for a cop engaging in it sounds pretty reasonable to me. Repeat offenders get a felony charge, in which case, they shouldn't have been allowed to be cop in the first place and doubt they'd make it through a background check.
rebellionpac.com

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 20:55

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 20:44
Teladi CEO wrote:
I think in most states, petty theft carries a max sentence of 1 year for a first time offender, so 2 years for a cop engaging in it sounds pretty reasonable to me. Repeat offenders get a felony charge, in which case, they shouldn't have been allowed to be cop in the first place and doubt they'd make it through a background check.
Yeah, the numbers I gave were obviously off, I was over exaggerating it. In that sense, if someone is entrusted with a certain position they should be held to a higher charge for abusing it. However I feel like this one be a double edged sword. It would keep people who would abuse the job to rethink their decisions, but also keep people like me who are paranoid when it comes to making sure I do nothing illegal...ever (I’ll wait on the crosswalk all day if necessary) That isn’t just for policing, it could be for doctors, military or politics.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 22:12

Teladi CEO wrote:
In my country there was a multiple cases where judges were involved in shoplifting for reasons beyond me (thrill, boredom?).
Person who uphold the law, shouldn't break it no matter how petty it is.

Having policemen and judges held to higher standard would actually improve trust in the law.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 19:34

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 07:26
Vertigo 7 wrote:
I mean some American police officers are taught, that if you kill someone you have the best sex in your life afterwards and that having this post killing sex is one of the "perks that come with job".

Sounds crazy, I know, so here is the video of it being taught to them.

Am I the only one who finds that insane?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 20:01

clakclak wrote:
Fri, 23. Apr 21, 19:34
I mean some American police officers are taught, that if you kill someone you have the best sex in your life afterwards and that having this post killing sex is one of the "perks that come with job".

Sounds crazy, I know, so here is the video of it being taught to them.

Am I the only one who finds that insane?
No. That's the same guy that police departments have been hiring to come train their cops to be killers. It's been going on for years.
rebellionpac.com

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 21:28

Open Source works just fine !

Linux kernel maintainers have permantly locket out University of Minnesota from Linux kernel development because they have repeatedly tried to inject faulty patches into the kernel, for "research prpose" and as "tests" but without informing those responsible.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/greg-kroa ... y-patches/

The maintainer wrote:
All contributions by this group of people need to be reverted, if they
have not been done so already, as what they are doing is intentional
malicious behavior and is not acceptable and totally unethical.
from: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nfs/YH+7Z ... kroah.com/

Those derps apparemntly tried to do a paper:
https://github.com/QiushiWu/QiushiWu.gi ... curity.pdf
without sticking to sciency behaviour and honest work.

But that's not all. After that, and after being reminded to stick the rules they tried it again, and that's when the kernel maintainers had enough.

Others seem to agree (from the above first link):
The problem is that Prof. Lu and his team seem to be unrepentant, and has some very... skewed... ideas over what is considered ethical, and acceptable behavior vis-a-vis the Kernel development community. The fact that the UMN IRB [Institutional Review Board] team believes that what Prof. Lu is doing isn't considered in scope for human experimentation means that there isn't any kind of institutional controls at UMN for this sort of behavior -- which is why a University-wide Ban may be the only right answer, unfortunately.
And thus it came.

-----------
What should I say ? Open Source works just fine, doesn't it ? 8)

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 24. Apr 21, 07:26

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not here? The fact that this was spotted and corrected quite quickly is open source working exactly how it's meant to.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Sat, 24. Apr 21, 10:19

Ok, I should have said "the Linux kernel" instead, because of it's review and maintenance process.

But that's only a side note. May main point was the insolence, somewhere between ignorance and criminal energy the University of Minnesota team and their internal review board exhibited in the process, even after being detected and reminded to stop it.

There were already gleeful remarks by google and companies who make money with security software going in the direction "imagine what's all under the radar and never detected so use our products to 'protect' your system". That's how it gows these days, snake oil everywhere.

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 24. Apr 21, 12:53

Ehh, not sure what you're getting at. Google isn't known for security software, if they even sell any? Nor would anyone be wise to trust them with security, even if they did.

If anything, this event proves open source is just as vulnerable to malicious actors as closed source is. Besides, you'll be unlikely to convince enterprise network directors to opt for 3rd party support from a forum vs a contractual service agreement.
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”