Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BaronVerde
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 08:04

The Event Horizon Telescope (those guys who made an interferometer the size of the earth and published the first image of the direct vicinity of a black hole) has published the first ever visualisation of the magnetic field near that same black hole. This helps understand how a region the size of the solar system can produce gas jets that extend 10s of thousands of light years into space.

Link (papers at the end):
https://eventhorizontelescope.org/blog/ ... black-hole

Isn't there a system in X4 with an accretion disk and a swirling jet ? :-)

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 14:45

SCA said it could take days and up to a week to free the stuck ship.

See ? I've always said the Incarcachua is a bit unwieldy :-)

(Suez Canal Authority)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

berth
x4

Post by berth » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 23:07

Surprised nobody has posted about this but LHC results could hint at the discovery of lepto-quarks: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56491033

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 00:40

berth wrote:
Thu, 25. Mar 21, 23:07
Surprised nobody has posted about this but LHC results could hint at the discovery of lepto-quarks: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56491033
Eh, it's three sigma. It could end up being something super exciting, sure, and there have been other experimental results in the past vaguely hinting in the same direction, but three sigma results in particle physics disappear a lot. (I'm reminded in particular here of the 750GeV bump from a few years back, and that one was nearly 4 sigma when it was announced.) I sort of get the impression that a combination of hints of this particular sort of symmetry violation having existed for a while, plus it being lockdown and everyone desperately looking for good news, have produced a little bit more excitement than is really justified by the evidence at this point. I do of course hope it does survive with more evidence, but I'm reserving my excitement until that happens.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

berth
x4

Post by berth » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 09:46

Yeah, agreed. Hence I didn't start a new thread ;)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 28. Mar 21, 08:48

Here a story so full of irony it seems fake.

1. Protest against police violence in 2017.

2. Police brutally beat up a black protestor.

3. Upps, turns out the protestor was actually an undercover cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09J6x1b-wo
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 28. Mar 21, 21:21

clakclak wrote:
Sun, 28. Mar 21, 08:48
Here a story so full of irony it seems fake.

1. Protest against police violence in 2017.

2. Police brutally beat up a black protestor.

3. Upps, turns out the protestor was actually an undercover cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09J6x1b-wo
You catch the part about the text messages being exchanged between the cops ahead of their deployment saying they were "excited to beat up protesters" entered as evidence? Sounds like grounds for premeditation. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that court room.

Of course, an all white jury for all white cops charged with beating a black man... hopes are not high for justice. I do hope, though, that this gets more attention either way.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Len5

Post by Len5 » Sun, 28. Mar 21, 22:55

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 28. Mar 21, 21:21
Of course, an all white jury for all white cops charged with beating a black man... hopes are not high for justice. I do hope, though, that this gets more attention either way.
So... are you expecting injustice based on the colour of the skin?

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 28. Mar 21, 23:21

Len5 wrote:
Sun, 28. Mar 21, 22:55
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Hardly unprecedented, especially in cases like this. And given the high frequency of racism displayed in St. Louis, odds are not good. So, no, not really.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 10:55

Alhamdulillah, Ever Given was made unstuck, with the help of the spring tide.

I look forward how the investigation eventually turns out. Unprofessional behaviour seems to have played a role, painting obscenities with course over ground and deviationg from the optimal course line (driving slightly zigzag) in the channel (track on vesselfinder.com).

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 11:31

I think painting obscenities while waiting his own turn is standard procedure.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 11:43

Definitely not :-)

There is nowhere left on earth with a clear sky above for astronomy:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03 ... -pollution

And it only getting worse, the massive onslaught of satellites that's awaiting launch isn't even included.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 11:49

BaronVerde wrote:
Mon, 29. Mar 21, 10:55

I look forward how the investigation eventually turns out. Unprofessional behaviour seems to have played a role, painting obscenities with course over ground and deviationg from the optimal course line (driving slightly zigzag) in the channel (track on vesselfinder.com).
The BBC report says they've got the stern free, but the bow is still stuck: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56559904
Given there was a sandstorm and high winds, it seems plausible that the zigzag course reflects the pilot struggling to keep control of the ship and not just dicking about!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 12:09

BaronVerde wrote:
Mon, 29. Mar 21, 11:43
Definitely not :-)

There is nowhere left on earth with a clear sky above for astronomy:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03 ... -pollution

And it only getting worse, the massive onslaught of satellites that's awaiting launch isn't even included.
I remember years ago, I went to Alenia (I studied in the same building where some Alenia offices were) and there was this monitor with what looked like white noise on it. They explained it was showing "the sh?t we sent up there", most of which is obsolete.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 12:18

red assassin wrote:
Mon, 29. Mar 21, 11:49
BaronVerde wrote:
Mon, 29. Mar 21, 10:55

The BBC report says they've got the stern free, but the bow is still stuck: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56559904
Given there was a sandstorm and high winds, it seems plausible that the zigzag course reflects the pilot struggling to keep control of the ship and not just dicking about!
A, ok, so not yet floating on its own and able to get out of the way.

I rather assume the zig zag course reflects a bored captain/helmsman on the bridge of that ship, and it mainly led to the ship being pushed into the bank by dynamic forces in the narrow water body. Edit: of course, for a cleaner argument one would have to compare the course over ground of the Ever Given to the other ships who sailed in the same convoy.

There's allways that wind argument, invoked from the captain, and the wind 'raised' from 20 over 25 and 30 to 40 knots recently. In an SCA statement I read 25 knots in gusts, so that's the number I'd stick with. That's a nice sailing breeze, sporty when beating high, it may affect a container ship that size and have been one component in a causal chain, but if it was enough to blow a ship that's steered responsibly off course they'd just pile up everywhere around the world. So, I think that's a foul excuse, a small contribution blown up to the main cause by those who might be held responsible .... one day.

What's not mentioned is the lateral plane of such a ship. It has a draught of 14m over the whole length, not much water under the keel in the channel -> Bernoulli there as well and ships have already grounded because of that, or used the effect to achieve more clearance under low bridges. The resulting area in the water acts against the wind force and water is slightly thicker than air ;-) As long as the ship moves with sufficient speed, wind is a minor factor. It does become one as soon as the ship stops, or the flow around steering surfaces isn't enough any more.

Sure, there's a lot of speculation involved. But imagine, for comparison, a sail boat on a reaching course, with a lateral plane of less than a tenth of the sail area. It moves perfectly along, with few degrees of correction angle, as long as it moves. It is only when it stops that it looses steering authority. But a sailing ship usually sails in open waters and is less if at all exposed to the confined flow around its hull than a huge Incarcachua style freighter.

We'll see. I don't pretend I am right.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Len5

Post by Len5 » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 14:59

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 28. Mar 21, 23:21
Len5 wrote:
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Hardly unprecedented, especially in cases like this. And given the high frequency of racism displayed in St. Louis, odds are not good. So, no, not really.
I'm familiar with the narritive.
So based on something that's based on assumptions. Never mind.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 15:59

Len5 wrote:
Mon, 29. Mar 21, 14:59
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Len5 wrote:

Are you also familiar with the long history of allegations against the St. Louis police department, not only from citizens, but even from black officers?
article from 2020 inlk below wrote:One of the nation's largest black police organizations is throwing its support behind a St. Louis law enforcement watchdog group that's accused the city's police department of fostering systematic racism.

The 9,000-member National Association of Black Law Enforcement Officers released a statement praising the St. Louis Ethical Society of Police for calling out instances of alleged racism in the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, including blacks being passed over for promotions or being assaulted by white officers.

The Ethical Society of Police, created in 1972 to combat racism in the department, also voiced support for embattled St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner, who filed a lawsuit this month against the city and its police union alleging a coordinated, racist conspiracy to drive her from office.[...]
https://abcnews.go.com/US/national-blac ... d=68611060

Here are a few other highlights:

2021: St. Louis police officer calling black people the N-Word

2020: Barton [St. Louis Police Chief] Acknowledges Racial Divide In St. Louis County Police Department

2019: St Louis prosecutor refuses to accept cases from police officers accused of racism

2019: St. Louis sergeant says there are white supremacists on police force
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 16:11

BaronVerde wrote:
Mon, 29. Mar 21, 12:18
A, ok, so not yet floating on its own and able to get out of the way.
Properly freed now:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56567985

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 20:31

Len5 wrote:
Mon, 29. Mar 21, 14:59
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Len5 wrote:

Yeah... try familiarizing yourself with history, instead.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 09:01

Population in the US is so mixed compared to most western countries I'm impressed by how big racism is there. It means a very large portion of the population is composed by bad people or easily mind-controlled people (or both). Calling "blacks" a minority (edit: I mean, a numerical minority) in the US is just a lie, from my point of view.

Return to “Off Topic English”