Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 07:08

Gotta say, Felter, I took tremendous pleasure from the verdict. A truly, truly vile man.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 02:38

It's interesting learning just how much of a scumbag the man actually is, to be honest I don't think there is much of a difference between Jones and one of those Indian phone scammers. For example, during the pandemic, he got into trouble for selling toothpaste that he said could protect you from Covid. He also has an advert that he made just after he was fined crying that he was poor and couldn't afford to pay the fine, and he needed help and all you had to do was buy some of his T-shirts, books, video's, vitamins or supplements (which no one has any idea exactly what those are).

One lawyer made the comment that it is pretty rare for someone to turn their civil lawsuit into a criminal lawsuit, as there is a darn good chance he is going to be charged with perjury. Meanwhile, the Jan 6 investigation are on the verge of getting their hands on those email and text messages he said never existed. I would not be surprised if at the end of it all, he is going to end up in jail.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 10:22

felter wrote:
Sat, 6. Aug 22, 03:05
So there are consequences when you tell lies to make money, just ask Alex Jones who has just learned a very costly lesson that free speech does not mean you can say whatever you want as he was fined $4.1 million yesterday, which was topped up today by another $45.2 million, meaning he was fined $49.3 million for spouting horrible mean lies about the Sandy Hook shooting.
The second part of the fine is misleading. Whilst the jury said he should pay the extra $45 million, punitive damages in Texas are capped at $750,000.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 05:10

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Sun, 7. Aug 22, 10:22
felter wrote:
Sat, 6. Aug 22, 03:05
So there are consequences when you tell lies to make money, just ask Alex Jones who has just learned a very costly lesson that free speech does not mean you can say whatever you want as he was fined $4.1 million yesterday, which was topped up today by another $45.2 million, meaning he was fined $49.3 million for spouting horrible mean lies about the Sandy Hook shooting.
The second part of the fine is misleading. Whilst the jury said he should pay the extra $45 million, punitive damages in Texas are capped at $750,000.
Looking into this you are right and wrong, there is a cap at $750,000, but that's per plaintiff, and I think there were two in this trial, so that's $1.5 million. Then there is also a but, where the punitive damage can't be more than twice the compensatory damage plus the maximum $750 thousand pre plaintiff, compensatory award was $4.1 million, so potentially those are then added together, meaning a maximum fine of $9.7 million. Then there is another but whereas far as I have gathered the Judge has some leeway on what the fine will be, as the cap only affects what a jury recommends. But then there is a final but in that some say the cap in itself could be deemed unconstitutional and could be challenged in a higher court. So it's not over yet, also remember there are another two trials and at least one of them is outside of Texas jurisdiction. So all in all it does not look good for the Cretans future. Texas is a crazy place with too many but's. :roll:

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 12. Aug 22, 21:31

As much as I hate to say it, whatever damages he ends up having to pay won't impact him. His earnings have been as high as 800k per day and this is nothing but more publicity for him and his platform. The same morons that listen to him also listen to that orange clown and you've seen how gullible they are. The worst he'll have to endure is a couple months prison time for perjury and he'll be right back out spouting the same rhetoric.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 03:09

It's also about credibility, we all knew he was a liar, he just spouts so much crap, it was all just hearsay, but now it is official, he has now been legally recorded as a being a liar and anything he ever says again has to be taken with a pinch of salt, and whenever he ends up in another legal interest, his lying can and will be held against him. He has done himself no favours.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 04:49

Poland’s prime minister says “huge amounts of chemical waste” were probably dumped intentionally into the Oder River, which runs along the border with Germany. Pretty much killed / drastically damaged the river.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireSto ... r-88298696

Might be Russia related? Poland knew about it ~two weeks before Germany discovered the pollution and never told Germany.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 10:14

felter wrote:
Sat, 13. Aug 22, 03:09
It's also about credibility, we all knew he was a liar, he just spouts so much crap, it was all just hearsay, but now it is official, he has now been legally recorded as a being a liar and anything he ever says again has to be taken with a pinch of salt, and whenever he ends up in another legal interest, his lying can and will be held against him. He has done himself no favours.
Sure, but the people that listen to him won't be swayed by the results of his trials or anything else, and no one outside of his listeners even remotely thought the guy was credible to begin with. This is the GOP playbook - make up BS, scream loudly about it, and don't stop so long as it's something negative about liberals. The GOP needs boogey men to survive and people like him are great at giving the morons something to hate. Case in point, none of this stopped him from slandering the judge, lawyers, and family victims on his show while his trial was in progress.

These people don't fear consequences because they have the money and influence to shrug off any sanctions they may receive.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 21:03

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 13. Aug 22, 04:49
Poland’s prime minister says “huge amounts of chemical waste” were probably dumped intentionally into the Oder River, which runs along the border with Germany. Pretty much killed / drastically damaged the river.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireSto ... r-88298696

Might be Russia related? Poland knew about it ~two weeks before Germany discovered the pollution and never told Germany.

That's the biggest news right now in Poland.
What is weird is that neither Polish nor German analysis are able to tell WTF is the cause.
The latest analysis found some salt compounts, but German are not sure.
This might explain why on Polish side they were haven't made any statement for over two weeks as they can't identify it either.
Now there is 1 mil PLN bounty for a person who can give an info on a source.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 12. Oct 22, 06:03

Looks like the new 4090 nvidia cards have had quite a boost in 4 k performance. 4090 can pull ~ 500 watts. There was some concern of fires over the new little power connector. The cards should release on Oct 12, 2022.

https://youtu.be/j9vC9NBL8zo?t=1026

Intel gpu release is tomorrow also. They seem to be targeting the budget gpu market where most people buy cards. The cards also seem good at productivity tasks. Amd seems to be the go to for fps per dollar while nvidia cards in this range seem to be the worst fps per dollar with intel in the middle.

Oder River fish kill off was likely caused by people dumping some sort of salt into the river. So it may have been intentional.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/to ... r-AA12svUf

The "introduced salt" led to "massive proliferation of a brackish water algae that is toxic to fish," it said.

However, "due to a lack of available information, the experts had to leave open what caused the unnaturally high salt content," it added.

German Environment Minister Steffi Lemke said it was clear that "human activity" was to blame.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Wed, 12. Oct 22, 12:15

burger1 wrote:
Wed, 12. Oct 22, 06:03
Looks like the new 4090 nvidia cards have had quite a boost in 4 k performance. 4090 can pull ~ 500 watts. There was some concern of fires over the new little power connector. The cards should release on Oct 12, 2022.

https://youtu.be/j9vC9NBL8zo?t=1026

Intel gpu release is tomorrow also. They seem to be targeting the budget gpu market where most people buy cards. The cards also seem good at productivity tasks. Amd seems to be the go to for fps per dollar while nvidia cards in this range seem to be the worst fps per dollar with intel in the middle.
Seeing how this forum is frequented by gamers I would think that GPU development discussion perhaps deserves entire thread.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 12. Oct 22, 23:13

So he claimed he was bankrupt, and he thought it was unfair to be told by the courts for him to pay around $50 million in damages. Well that was nothing, as today in a separate trial Alex Jones has now been told he also has to pay a massive $965 million to the Sandy Hook Families. Let this be a warning, while free speech may mean you can say what you want, but telling lies and making things up can come with some hefty consequences.

He said he was bankrupt before, well he probably is now, and it couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 18:59

Another species die off likely due to global warming. Alaska snow crab season cancelled as officials investigate disappearance of an estimated 1 billion crabs

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fishing-al ... te-change/

An estimated one billion crabs have mysteriously disappeared in two years, state officials said. It marks a 90% drop in their population

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 18. Oct 22, 17:18

The Brexit effect, so it's been a while and just how is it going, well not too good it seems. The thing that gets me is you have all these people in the country going no one told us these things would happen, whereas I'm going I told you these things would happen if we left, people just didn't want to hear it, they would rather listen to the lies. I do love all these trade deals that the government keeps going on about, but as they point out in the video, we already had those deals to start with and the ones we need to have made deals with, we still don't have them, like America.

But we have left, and we have to live with that decision, the problem is our government who created the problem have no idea how to do that. They do say that it's great and everything is going to plan, but they can't tell us what the plan is or what it is that is actually going great, but they keep up with that rhetoric probably thinking if they keep on saying it people will eventually believe it. Nope, Brexit has turned into a total and utter cluster.... of a mess.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 18. Oct 22, 17:28

It looks like there has been around 50M of pipeline destroyed in the NS1 pipeline, that is a pretty major amount of destruction and would probably have taking some doing this video of the destruction though it is a short video around the 15-second mark to me, it looks like the damage was caused from the inside out rather than from the outside, but we would have to see more of the damage to ultimately come to any conclusion.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 18. Oct 22, 20:32

felter wrote:
Tue, 18. Oct 22, 17:18
Nope, Brexit has turned into a total and utter cluster.... of a mess.
Saying this implies that it wasn't that right from the beginning. It was always going to be a disaster and the so-called "fearmongers" have been proved right on every argument they made.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 20. Oct 22, 10:11

The Brexit was good idea on principle, but the execution was worst possible comedic level.
I don't think anybody expected that whole UK goverment would turn into Monty Python sketch, with every next PM turning to be bigger joke than previous one.

It really looks like whoever was in charge, was afraid to pick between commiting to Brexit or openly going No-Brexit against the vote.
They tried to meander between Brexit and No-Brexit approach in hope to pick benefits from both approach...but somehow ended just with amassing detriments from both paths.

This will go into history books for sure.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 20. Oct 22, 11:26

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 20. Oct 22, 10:11
The Brexit was good idea on principle, but the execution was worst possible comedic level.
I was a terrible idea, and it there was no way it could have been executed that would have turned out differently.
mr.WHO wrote:
I don't think anybody expected that whole UK goverment would turn into Monty Python sketch, with every next PM turning to be bigger joke than previous one.
A lot of us expected exactly that from the day Boris got elected.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 20. Oct 22, 11:49

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 20. Oct 22, 11:26
I was a terrible idea, and it there was no way it could have been executed that would have turned out differently.
It was a good idea, but in hindsight, with these politicians, there was absolutely no change this would turn any good, to the point No-Brexit would be better alternative.

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 20. Oct 22, 11:26
A lot of us expected exactly that from the day Boris got elected.
I'm thinking in even wider timeline - Cameron, May, Boris, now Truss, the slide is still running towards the bottom.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 20. Oct 22, 15:35

mr.WHO wrote:
The Brexit was good idea on principle
(Didn't we have a lengthy thread on that topic?)

Remind us, why end of (trade) agreements is a good idea (particularly if you have to negotiate new deals as a smaller customer)?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “Off Topic English”