Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 6. Oct 19, 01:23

Front and central on the Beeb at the moment:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-49945461
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 6. Oct 19, 10:10

Rug wrote:
Sat, 5. Oct 19, 19:44
I don't know how to search specifically for American news coverage, but my attempt didn't turn anything related up.
If you go to www.cnn.com you can select the "U.S." edition rather than the "International" one that comes up by default. The news article is there in the international edition but not in the US one.

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Sun, 6. Oct 19, 10:44

RegisterMe wrote:
Sun, 6. Oct 19, 01:23
Front and central on the Beeb at the moment
Which is why I wondered about coverage in the USA.

Alan, I didn't mean to question the morality of the actions or facts of the incident so much as wondering if the states would be embarrassed by the story enough to keep it low profile. It seems that either they are, or it's not a big story. But as RegisterMe points out, it is prominent here...
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 6. Oct 19, 16:25

I still can't find anything from any US news outlets on this.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it's the weekend and most government facilities are closed so officials would be difficult to reach, plus the "A team" reporters are laser focused on Trump right now. I would expect to see something tomorrow, most likely. Maybe even a mention of it on Last Week Tonight, tonight.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 6. Oct 19, 22:36

felter wrote:
Sun, 29. Sep 19, 16:05
Sometimes YouTube recommends something decent.

The Gunfighter.
Good spot :lol:

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 03:46

Well looks like NBC was the first to pick up a story on it state side.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fami ... s-n1062941

I'm really sorry for this family. This is some seriously shameful behavior on the part of the woman driver.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 08:29

Interesting to note this part of the article:

“If I were advising this spouse as a client, I would recommend getting back to the U.S. as soon as you can," Cevallos said. "Because, if for some reason this immunity ends up not applying, you'd rather be back in the U.S. and fighting an extradition than in the U.K. and trying to get out of jail,” he said.

Not much else I can say to that except lawyers gonna lawyer, I suppose...

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 14:49

As expected, other news agencies are picking the story up this morning, including Boris's comments that he is going to reach out to the white house. Who knows what the hell Trump will do about it. One can only hope that there is some closure given to the family of the deceased.
rebellionpac.com

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 14:58

The face of a killer.

Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 16:06

@ felter: Hmm. Under our laws she remains innocent until proven guilty and we certainly do not know the full circumstances surrounding the very sad death. I think your comment about 'killer' may be both premature and unwarranted unless/until either confessed or supported as true fact by a court.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 16:20

There are no doubts she killed the guy, she even admitted to it herself in her own words spoken from her own mouth. It is the facts surrounding how she did it that people are trying to work out, but like a coward she ran away from the investigation into just what happened and how it happened. I think what you are mistaken my comments for is if I called her a murderer, which I didn't. She killed the guy which as I said there are no doubts about that, I don't think it was intentional, it was an accident but an accident she caused, a death that she caused and something she has ran away and hidden from. If she had done as she originally said she was going to do and not leave the country, then fair enough but she didn't she ran away so she could not be held responsible for the death she caused, that is the face of a killer.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 16:59

I can understand the reasons why diplomats are granted such partial exemptions from the law, with incidents such as this being the regrettable cost to be weighed against those reasons.
However, I entirely fail to see why such special treatment should be extended to the diplomats family.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 17:01

Bishop149 wrote:
Mon, 7. Oct 19, 16:59
I can understand the reasons why diplomats are granted such partial exemptions from the law, with incidents such as this being the regrettable cost to be weighed against those reasons.
However, I entirely fail to see why such special treatment should be extended to the diplomats family.
To keep the diplomat's family from being used as leverage by the host government.
rebellionpac.com

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 21:15

Forget the story that is being linked to, it's about Trumps latest fiasco in Syria. What I want you to do is scroll down to the bottom of the page, there is a picture of Syria and who occupies what parts, even ignore this. Have a look at the picture of the globe in the top left of the picture and look and see where the great BBC thinks Syria is, that's the little black rectangular box on the map. Whoever made that picture up did not do well in Geography.

For those that don't know where they are saying Syria is:
Spoiler
Show
That is south west Africa probably Angola, Zambia, Namibia, Botswana and perhaps a bit of Mozambique. In a straight line you are looking at pretty well over 3000 miles between where they say Syria is and where Syria actually is
Remember the picture is at the bottom of the page. Just ignore the story.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 21:27

felter wrote:
Mon, 7. Oct 19, 21:15
Forget the story that is being linked to, it's about Trumps latest fiasco in Syria. What I want you to do is scroll down to the bottom of the page, there is a picture of Syria and who occupies what parts, even ignore this. Have a look at the picture of the globe in the top left of the picture and look and see where the great BBC thinks Syria is, that's the little black rectangular box on the map. Whoever made that picture up did not do well in Geography.

For those that don't know where they are saying Syria is:
Spoiler
Show
That is south west Africa probably Angola, Zambia, Namibia, Botswana and perhaps a bit of Mozambique. In a straight line you are looking at pretty well over 3000 miles between where they say Syria is and where Syria actually is
Remember the picture is at the bottom of the page. Just ignore the story.
lol... still, not quite as bad as everyone leaving New Zealand off of their maps. https://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/ ... n-the-map/
rebellionpac.com

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 8. Oct 19, 11:00

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Mon, 7. Oct 19, 17:01
To keep the diplomat's family from being used as leverage by the host government.
I guess that makes sense, but I rather think that a better solution to that one is to employ people who don't have familiarises, or are prepared to be apart for them for the sake of their work. . . . rather than have a whole slew of people who are essentially exempt from the law.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 8. Oct 19, 11:59

Bishop149 wrote:
Tue, 8. Oct 19, 11:00
I guess that makes sense, but I rather think that a better solution to that one is to employ people who don't have familiarises, or are prepared to be apart for them for the sake of their work. . . . rather than have a whole slew of people who are essentially exempt from the law.
So you're basically saying we should treat diplomats the same as people who are in the army or similar high risk jobs? I don't see that working terribly well, to be honest.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 8. Oct 19, 14:20

pjknibbs wrote:
Tue, 8. Oct 19, 11:59
So you're basically saying we should treat diplomats the same as people who are in the army or similar high risk jobs? I don't see that working terribly well, to be honest.
It's admittedly anecdotal but I kind thought this happened anyway, that senior diplomats were a live to work not work to live kind of lot.
An ex of mines father was an ambassador. . . . he lived in the country in which he was assigned and she, her mum and her sister lived here in the UK.
She gave the impression that was the usual arrangement.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 8. Oct 19, 14:46

Bishop149 wrote:
Tue, 8. Oct 19, 14:20
pjknibbs wrote:
It's admittedly anecdotal but I kind thought this happened anyway, that senior diplomats were a live to work not work to live kind of lot.
An ex of mines father was an ambassador. . . . he lived in the country in which he was assigned and she, her mum and her sister lived here in the UK.
She gave the impression that was the usual arrangement.
To be fair, not every ambassador takes their family with them out of country. I think it largely depends on where their assignment is and how long they're expected to be there. However, in this case, it's a bit odd if the report is accurate that the specific diplomat is a spy. I've never heard of diplomats and spies being one in the same.
rebellionpac.com

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 8. Oct 19, 18:43

pjknibbs wrote:
So you're basically saying we should treat diplomats the same as people who are in the army
What does diplomat's job description say? "Walk in the park" or "you're expendable"?

Return to “Off Topic English”