Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 11. Dec 20, 07:47

Gah, Pillars of Eternity was the most irritating RPG of all time. - Not because it was bad, but because I tend to restart such games a fair bit, and it was so linear in the opening I had to abandon thoughts of replaying.

It's still overpriced even when free! :P
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 11. Dec 20, 11:27

My way of dealing with that was to back up a save made when I had formed my first party of 4 and use that for any restarts. It cut out much of the routine linear grind.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 12. Dec 20, 22:01

Damn, I keep hoarding Epic Store free games via the web page, but I never installed their client.
I'll wait a few more years and I'll probably will have 300+ games to eventually try someday.

Given how rudiculosly overpriced, crappy and buggy AAA games are I'll be more happy and without giving single $.

Already I got sevearal games from my steam wishlist free in Epic store:
Tyranny
Pillars of Eternity
Mudrunner
Elite Dangerous
Dungeons 3
Civilisation VI
GTA V
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Into the Breach
Surviving Mars

Next week they will have free game daily for Christmass season, so I expect more good catches.

If Epic keeps going that way I might install their client next year :)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 13. Dec 20, 03:31

It's not really free, but if you haven't then the Humble Bundle is a good way to get a lot of game for cheap. I have the classic plan so it's a steady 12 games a months. Yes people will often says "but it's a lot of crap indie", but at the price, you only need 1 or 2 good games to make the deal a bargain. And if there is nothing strike your fancy you can just pause that month. All of the games are either DRM-free or delivered through Steam.

I think my entire collection of Tropico and Yakuza came from Humble, and there are many games I never thought of buying, but end up trying and turn out surprisingly good like Railway Empire, Call of Chluthu or Age of Wonder 3. This months it has Overcooked 2, Children of Morta which are the 2 games I have kept an eye on for a while but never commit. Also Shining Force refrain is the kind of game I don't think I'll ever buy, but I would be happy to try now that I'm getting it for "almost" free.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 14. Dec 20, 17:25

I already owned Pillars of eternity on Steam, but I don't have the DLC/Addons for the game on the steam version. So last night I installed the Epic version with the DLC/Addons. The difference between the two is pretty large, the original steam game is only just under 6gb while the full game with DLC/Addons is a little over 22gb, so nearly 4 times the size. Now I have an issue while the Epic game, while the steam game runs without any kind of problems, the Epic version does not start at all, it actually freezes my computer where I have to do a hard reset to get it working again. This also leads to the problem that the Epic game store, even after such a long time since it's original release, it is still way far inferior to steam, as there is still no way to communicate about any of the games that you have on the Epic store. So if you have an issue with an Epic acquired game, just where do you go for help about that game if you can't get it to work. I still hate Epic game store, even after all this time.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 19:52

Gog.com giving away Prison Architect for a few days.
Editing posts since long before I remember.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 17:42

Daily free game for Holiday season started on Epic Store - Cities Skyline for today.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 22:19

You also get a 10$ voucher on the Epic store by redeeming Cities Skylines, valid for every game purchase (not DLCs, AddOns, ...) for at least 15$.

Trials Rising is free on UPlay.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 04:48

If you have Prison Architect from GOG (still currently free) if you go to the store page on GOG and scroll down to the DLC you will find a DLC Cleared For Transfer for free.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 10:03

felter wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 04:48
If you have Prison Architect from GOG (still currently free) if you go to the store page on GOG and scroll down to the DLC you will find a DLC Cleared For Transfer for free.
Didn't notice that.
Thanks! :D
Editing posts since long before I remember.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 10:09

felter wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 04:48

Thanks for posting, Felter. - I normally get an email saying a game is free for claiming, but didn't get anything about the original offer. Added both game and DLC to account, and might give it a try over the holidays. :)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 02:41

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty is Epic Games free game today. Tomorrow will be a new game and so on each day for quite a few days.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 20:22

Epic Gamestore - free
- The Long Dark

Uplay - free
- Anno 1701 History Edition
- Starlink. Battle for Atlas™ Digital Edition
- Trials® Rising Standard Edition

And some Skins or Mini-DLCs or something for: Assassin’s Creed® Valhalla, Watch Dogs®: Legion and Hyper Scape™

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 20:41

WTF, just tried to claim the Long Dark on EPIC and received this message:
Your account is unable to download any more free games at this time, please wait 24 hours before trying to redeem a free game again.
Never seen that before and I'm unable to claim the game, just another reason to hate the Epic gamestore.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 20:46

Are you using a VPN or anyone else using Epic in your household?

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 21:14

Epic games free daily games might be:

The Long Dark - Todays current game
Defense Grid 1
Alien Isolation
Metro 2033
Tropico 5
Inside
Darkest Dungeon
My Time in Portia
Night in the Woods
Stranded Deep
Solitairica
Torchlight II
Jurassic World Evolution

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 23:19

I found this litte gem on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/334920/ZeroK/

Free game that is like Supreme Commander / Total Annihilation with a twist (terrain forming).

70 Single player missions (albeit first 15 are rather rudimentary and repetetive, but later on it gets much better).

Also AI is fun - it actively search for gaps in your defence, retreat when attack fail and try to avoid battle if at disadvantage.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 18:08

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 20:43

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 19. Dec 20, 23:19
I found this litte gem on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/334920/ZeroK/

Free game that is like Supreme Commander / Total Annihilation with a twist (terrain forming).

70 Single player missions (albeit first 15 are rather rudimentary and repetetive, but later on it gets much better).

Also AI is fun - it actively search for gaps in your defence, retreat when attack fail and try to avoid battle if at disadvantage.
Nice find, thanks for the recommendation! Always up for more TA/SupCom in my life. :D

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 20:26

Alien Isolation is free on Epic Games today.

Next games might be.

Metro 2033
Tropico 5
Inside
Darkest Dungeon
My Time in Portia
Night in the Woods
Stranded Deep
Solitairica
Torchlight II
Jurassic World Evolution

Steam Winter sale 2020 might Start December 22, 2020.

Return to “Off Topic English”