Anyone remember freelancer?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Andypocalypse
x4

Anyone remember freelancer?

Post by Andypocalypse » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 22:46

Just wondered if anyone but me liked it and thinks that microsoft should remove the stick from their ass and make another one?

I would like to point out at this time that I own every single X game there is and im not implying I would favor 1 over the other ;)
Andypocalypse

amtct
x3ap

Re: Anyone remember freelancer?

Post by amtct » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 22:48

Andypocalypse wrote:Just wondered if anyone but me liked it and thinks that microsoft should remove the stick from their ass and make another one?
Sure.... on xbox :roll:

Andypocalypse
x4

Post by Andypocalypse » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 22:51

I personally think it would boost the people interested in the Genre so im gonna give you a +1 for that ;)
Andypocalypse

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 23:02

I just played it a while ago. I enjoyed the game. Its a simple game compared to todays games but the atmosphere, pace and story were ok. Was disappointed I had to buy the cd and there was no digital download. Theres lots of games made like freelancer. Usually they don't do well. Theres lots of old games for sale on gog.com and theres mods of old games also.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 23:02

It was fun for a blast, but the restrictions (1 ship at a time, fixed bases etc.) meant I got bored rather quickly. The multi-player modes gave it a bit more longevity, but not a huge amount. As a group, we went back to playing StarLancer, which was great fun for a blast. If Microsoft were to go back to the franchise, I'd favour something more mission based.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 23:06

AdrianM wrote:
Andypocalypse wrote:Just wondered if anyone but me liked it and thinks that microsoft should remove the stick from their ass and make another one?
Sure.... on xbox :roll:
Personally I think it should be on all smartphones too...

Thinking about it, a smartphone would probably be powerful enough to run Freelancer smoothly.

Have to be honest, never played the first one. I do have the second one though.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 23:08

My Celeron 400Mhz with 196 Mb of SDRam @ 67Mhz did run it, albeit at low quality in multiplayer big fights. So my current phone should be able to. As most smartphones.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 23:49

Remember freelancer? I'm replaying it right now.

There's a lot i like about it. The plot was solid and fun, the music was exciting, and even though the stations and economy were fixed, i liked the way it was set up (e.g. some regions were rich in particular raw minerals/ goods and the further you got from those sectors the better the trade price you got for them was). The main thing i liked though was the universe. It had INFINITELY more thought and care taken in it's design. Every sector was unique different and well worth exploring with loads of secrets to find. A vast improvement over x's near copy-paste sectors. There was masses of background info to find out, the faction system was great and they all had backstorys to discover. It was actually possible to find and visit little known desolate remote systems that FELT remote. WIth jumpholes acting as sneaky backdoors into systems you could engage in smuggling, avoiding the police patrols and sneaking down to planets to sell contraband. It was nice that when you landed you actually got to get out of your damn ship, and it was nice to see a little of the planets you actually got to visit.

In short everything X does badly (excitement, exploration, interesting universe, plot ) Freelancer did really well. Sure it can feel a bit restrictive when you're doing the plot and it doesn't last anywhere near as long as an x game, but i got far, far more FUN out of it then any x-game ever.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 03:38

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote: Have to be honest, never played the first one. I do have the second one though.
Scratch that, it's Freespace 2 I have, not Freelancer!
Guess I have no idea what you're talking about in this thread then :D
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Lion Around
x3tc

Post by Lion Around » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 04:17

I enjoyed Freelancer quite a bit. I played it off and on for maybe 3 or 4 years, but unfortunately it hasn't aged well. It looks terrible on my widescreen monitor now. It had some really memorable moments in it, that really made the story stand out above many other games at the time. The multiplayer was a riot.... I was the single most hated person on my community's server, usually because I had a tendency to shoot anything that moved across my screen. Omicron Gamma was my stomping ground, and several "clans" lived there and absolutely hated me. I frequently took on 8 or more players at once, died a million times and took one or two with me every once in a while. Those were some fun times!

Andypocalypse
x4

Post by Andypocalypse » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 08:37

I liked the way the sectors where structured, so you had a sector with several areas that had smaller communities in them, made it less open and more interesting in my opinion
Andypocalypse

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 13:19

Freelancer? Oh heck yes :)

This game was my most favourate thing for a while I can honestly say I know every sector and base in the place INCLUDING the sectors that don't show up on the map ;)

Never played MP though possibly a missed opportunity.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Rabiator der II.
x3ap

Post by Rabiator der II. » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 22:37

I remember it. It was a lot of fun - for a while. It had beautiful graphics and a nice storyline, in that it was a notch better than most X games. :)
Freelancer also had a multiplayer mode :wink: .

But it also had its weaknesses compared to X:
  • -The universe was smaller, and during the storyline you were locked into a handful of starter systems. Much less freedom than in X² for instance.

-The economy was a lot more primitive, you had fixed prices on the NPC stations and trade routes that would always give the same profitsss.

-The game had a RPG-like progression in ship strength, which worked if you played through the storyline as intended by the developers. But in free play, the differences in power levels were ridicoulous. A lvl 10 fighter with maxed out guns could easily kill battleships, even easier than a Paranid Pegasus with shockwave generators in X². And in the noob sectors nothing could touch it. :twisted:
In the end, I played through the storyline two times, once in vanilla mode and once with all the gates "hacked open". After that I played with mods and online a bit, but eventually lost interest.

Lion Around
x3tc

Post by Lion Around » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 23:27

Only two times? I played through the entire campaign dozens of times, with mods, without mods, different ships for different challenges. Anyone beat it with the noob ship, the Starflyer? I have!

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 24. Aug 12, 00:01

Just reinstalled it. I didn't think it would go on Win7 but it does :D .

I just wish Microsoft would fix the
Spoiler
Show
Monkey and Robot
planets. They're cool and all but not much to do there.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 24. Aug 12, 00:57

Lion Around wrote:Only two times? I played through the entire campaign dozens of times, with mods, without mods, different ships for different challenges. Anyone beat it with the noob ship, the Starflyer? I have!
I heard one guy doing it in a freighter until the last few missions. The game needs auto-turrets I think.

brucewarren wrote:Just reinstalled it. I didn't think it would go on Win7 but it does :D .

I just wish Microsoft would fix the
Spoiler
Show
Monkey and Robot
planets. They're cool and all but not much to do there.
It installed and ran fine on xp also. 0 crashes for the entire game. Independance war 2 and homeworld 1+2 (need vsync for mouse or lag or something) all installed and run fine on xp. For Freespace 2 I had to install fsopen to get it to work properly on xp. I'll probably need to install something for freespace 1 to get it to work properly theres mouse lag, flickering screens and no writing. same as freespace 2 was before installing fsopen.

Andypocalypse
x4

Post by Andypocalypse » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 15:41

Well this threads a blast from the past XD (I feel like a necromancer raising this dead thread) lmao :lol:
Andypocalypse

Andypocalypse
x4

Post by Andypocalypse » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 15:43

wow! I cant believe I have been a member of this forum for nearly 20 years!!!! :lol: :o
Andypocalypse

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 17:49

Andypocalypse wrote:
Sat, 1. Apr 23, 15:41
Well this threads a blast from the past XD (I feel like a necromancer raising this dead thread) lmao :lol:
Yes, and the forum rules ask you not to do this...

Return to “Off Topic English”