The Rant Thread. :)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should this thread be renamed as above?

Yes
26%
No
6%
Cook off you miserable old git!
68%

Total votes: 68

greypanther
x3ap

Re: The Rant Thread. :)

Post by greypanther » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 22:54

Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 21:47
It's often the opposite for me. Many time I receive a box from Amazon and have to wonder "do they really need to use this big of a box!". Several time the boxes are so big that upon delivery I scratch my head "did I order something THIS big?"
Yes, we get massive boxes too, which whilst wasteful, is not my problem. My annoyance is: the lack of packing inside the box, which leaves the item bouncing around inside. Especially a problem if the item is fragile. :x
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 22:59

greypanther wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 22:54
Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 21:47
It's often the opposite for me. Many time I receive a box from Amazon and have to wonder "do they really need to use this big of a box!". Several time the boxes are so big that upon delivery I scratch my head "did I order something THIS big?"
Yes, we get massive boxes too, which whilst wasteful, is not my problem. My annoyance is: the lack of packing inside the box, which leaves the item bouncing around inside. Especially a problem if the item is fragile. :x
Be glad it actually arrived at the correct address.

Had a delivery guy from GLS unable to read trying to deliver a parcel today.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 23:03

Roeleveld wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 22:59
Yes had that too, from Amazon, actually delivered to the wrong house, on a different street. Several times. Thankfully they were honest...
Arriving broken and unusable is little better. :evil:

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 23:22

Roeleveld wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 22:59

Had a delivery guy from GLS unable to read trying to deliver a parcel today.
You know, this is something that made me realize the difference between a professional workforce and an untrained one. I've been a Prime since my college days, and for over a decade I think they shipped to the wrong address ONCE, and maybe one delay/late arrival per year, but 2 days is 2 days. Which is an extremely impressive record. Even without all the bell and whistle, the prime membership was worth it for that alone. But then, basically all delivery was handled by UPS, Fedex, DHL

A few years back they open a warehouse in my state. Out of all the thing make me feel guilty the most about buying on Amazon is one: not supporting the local and two, no sale tax. Although I did put in my Amazon purchase amount each year when I file to pay the state its due. So at first I was like GREAT, I got all the usual benefit, the local getting jobs and now the sale tax is applied automatically since Amazon now have an official presence. Problem is, they also outsource the shipping to smaller gig business now. And ... things went to shit: my stuffs get delivery to the wrong address at least a handful time a year, delaying is a common occurrence, it's literally a coin toss whether I actual get the promised 2 days shipping or not these day. I also went from "never receive broken items in 12 years to have it happened several times in 3 years. In fact, the reason why I think the record isn't worse because I rarely buy easy to break stuffs from Amazon, I once have to send back a glassware that was broken on arrival, just to receive a replacement that also broken at which point I just asked for a money back. :evil:

Frankly at this point I'm seriously reconsidering the Prime membership, this year could be the last year I have it.

Think that qualified as a rant, yes? :D
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 13. Mar 21, 07:55

It can vary by address, though. Apart from one item that simply never turned up at all, I've never had anything mis-delivered from my Amazon account to my own address. My mother's address is a different matter--in that case, it seems to be largely random if the item will turn up. Best one was some flowers I bought her for Mother's Day a couple of years ago, which ended up being left on the doorstep of a house on a completely different street. They ended up getting delivered by a puzzled property owner about two weeks late, long after we'd given up on them and got a refund.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 10:07

While we are allready on the topic of delivery services.

Neighbour lady STOP HONKING ALL THE TIME! It is a small cobblestone city street in an area with barely any parking spaces. You are sitting in a comfortable 128.000€ Mercedes, just wait for 2 minutes until the overworked low wage employee managed to unload the bloody dishwasher your neighbour ordered and then you will be able to get into your garage. Seriously, it is always the same driver who does it. Every neighbour is pissed at her because she honks at the trashmen in the morning and the deliver drivers in the afternoon. Lady, if you want to get your car into the garage this badly maybe don't use it for every single way. I have lived in this city for years now without owning a car, it is not a big city you will be able to get around! Last Saturday she managed to really step it up a notch by honking at a bloody ambulance that was there to transport an elderly neighbour. No matter how often people talk to her, she does not even understand why people are pissed. It is insanity.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 14:23

clakclak wrote:
Sun, 14. Mar 21, 10:07

Neighbour lady STOP HONKING ALL THE TIME! It is a small cobblestone city street in an area with barely any parking spaces. You are sitting in a comfortable 128.000€ Mercedes, just wait for 2 minutes until the overworked low wage employee managed to unload the bloody dishwasher your neighbour ordered and then you will be able to get into your garage. Seriously, it is always the same driver who does it. Every neighbour is pissed at her because she honks at the trashmen in the morning and the deliver drivers in the afternoon. Lady, if you want to get your car into the garage this badly maybe don't use it for every single way. I have lived in this city for years now without owning a car, it is not a big city you will be able to get around! Last Saturday she managed to really step it up a notch by honking at a bloody ambulance that was there to transport an elderly neighbour. No matter how often people talk to her, she does not even understand why people are pissed. It is insanity.
I'd point this out to her - politely of course. It's surprising how sometimes people change based on a different perspective they hadn't considered.
As for Cardboard - reminds me of my mother going on about why flour (for bread) had such issues last year due to bags only. "They should just make more, it was ridiculous". Having worked in (of all places) a pizza cardboard box making "factory" during my student years, i had to point out they don't necessarily have extra capacity laying around unused. Basically enough machines to provide what's usually required; who'd spend a ton of money on extras that are never used! That place was a small warehouse filled with loud machinery. At best they could double production (by running it 24/7), but there was no space for more machinery. It'd take months (and a bigger building) to get machinery to achieve it (let alone supplies received to enable it if they're likewise running to a capacity capability), and then staff to work it etc.

Relevance? There may be insufficient requirements for certain box sizes, or machinery capable of them, or it's produced in batches and the next run hasn't started for a low use case. So it's just cheaper to use existing stock and pack it up, than source (especially when time is of the essence in the modern world) a more appropriate size and delay/increase cost.

This isn't why your pizza box is huge and a little pizza though. That's just because they've made smaller pizza's to save costs and hope you won't really notice :D :D :D

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 15:28

Chips wrote:
Sun, 14. Mar 21, 14:23
clakclak wrote:
Sun, 14. Mar 21, 10:07

I'd point this out to her - politely of course. It's surprising how sometimes people change based on a different perspective they hadn't considered.[....]
We have tried talking with her. People tried to be friendly with her. People tried getting angry. Multiple people have talked to this person multiple times over a span of 1 and a half years. Nothing works.

Her point is that she has a right to enter her garage whenever she wants and that nobody has the right to delay her because she pays for the parking spot.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 15:40

clakclak wrote:
Sun, 14. Mar 21, 15:28
We have tried talking with her. People tried to be friendly with her. People tried getting angry. Multiple people have talked to this person multiple times over a span of 1 and a half years. Nothing works.

Her point is that she has a right to enter her garage whenever she wants and that nobody has the right to delay her because she pays for the parking spot.
Some people are so caught up in themselves, their importance, that they are just unwilling to see another's point of view. ( Indeed I have seen fights start around here, over such well meant conversations... ) It's a good job I am not in charge, or she would be doing without her large car already!! :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 16:23

The police responded to a call I made about my concerns about a very elderly neighbour of mine living alone with a terminal illness and slight dementia. I was due to drive him to the doctor for an afternoon surgery appointment but I could not raise him at the house which was locked up and with the front door key in the inside lock thereby defeating spare keys.

The two policemen who arrived parked their marked police car half on the pavement outside the house because it was on a dangerous corner, tried to raise him and then went to break in via the back door while I waited outside to help with the neighbour's alsation dog (which I regularly walked for him) also inside. While they were so occupied, a fit and healthy lady pedestrian interrupted them and insisted that they move their police car so that she could use the pavement unimpeded (it was possible to get past the car on foot without going into the road or hedge). The police basically refused as they told her that they were on an essential task.

The lady then turned to me and started giving me her very frustrated point of view on the matter. I forestalled her and advised that if she were that concerned about it, that she call the police. If looks could kill .... There was later a lot of rolling of eyes from the two police but, to their credit, no disparaging remarks about the lady.

(The elderly neighbour turned out to be in bed, weak and confused but fairly well, and we made it to the surgery eventually.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 03:18

@Alan Phipps: Thank you for your kindness and generosity toward your elderly neighbor. You restore my faith in humanity.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 23:16

Well done Alan, good work. :)
Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 14. Mar 21, 16:23
While they were so occupied, a fit and healthy lady pedestrian interrupted them and insisted that they move their police car so that she could use the pavement unimpeded (it was possible to get past the car on foot without going into the road or hedge). The police basically refused as they told her that they were on an essential task.

The lady then turned to me and started giving me her very frustrated point of view on the matter. I forestalled her and advised that if she were that concerned about it, that she call the police. If looks could kill .... There was later a lot of rolling of eyes from the two police but, to their credit, no disparaging remarks about the lady.
What is wrong with people? It's not like they've parked there for a giggle, is it! Even worse if she could actually get past ok... Some people...

Reminds me of the morons who complained about an ambulance blocking their driveway; doesn't matter they were responding to a call!
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -they-face
“You may be saving lives, but don’t park your van in a stupid place and block my drive”
Some people are genuine oxygen thieves. :evil:

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 08:43

So he really is a cuddly teddy bear! :mrgreen:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 11:17

The lady pedestrian didn't think so. I can imagine what she was thinking though.

One other thing, my 'help' cost the neighbour (mainly their house insurance) a new back door. I wasn't totally 'cuddly' in their eyes either, despite the mitigating circumstances.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 11:27

Grizzly teddy bear.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 16:46

On Sunday I ordered a coaster for flowers (my mother's birthday is soon) and the recipient was set as the local flower shop (which is the one suggesting me the actual vases to put on it). I specified a note "DON'T DELIVER ON WEDNESDAY" because the shop is closed. Yesterday, the tracking was telling me "delivering on Saturday".
Now, guess who just called me and had to deliver the package to my office?

WHAT ARE THOSE NOTES FOR?????

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 26. May 21, 16:01

Why do we have to age! Bloody annoying it is! :rant: :rant: :rant:

Now I have a Hernia, probably caused by my caring for my wife, certainly caused in part by my advancing years. Not really looking forward to the probable surgery, even it is is a very simple one. :(

Return to “Off Topic English”