The Rant Thread. :)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should this thread be renamed as above?

Yes
26%
No
6%
Cook off you miserable old git!
68%

Total votes: 68

Roeleveld
x4

Re: The Rant Thread. :)

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:22

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 21. Feb 21, 15:27
@ greypanther: It's fine - just don't mention Trump. :D
You just did :gruebel:

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:25

BaronVerde wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 13:56
Well, philosophy is not about ranting. It's about pondering reason and knowledge and all the rest (42 and all that :-)).

Grrrrrrr:
Just before that virus hit, graphics cards where about to develop into something really usable. AMD had announced a consumer grade card for under 2000,- that handled 64bit floating point with reasonable performance (that was the Radeon VII Pro). I'm not into mining for cryptocurrency, but it would make rendering big worlds so much easier.

And now ... prices are soaring, newest generation isn't available at all or if you see one then at astronomic prices and even last generation technology is hardly available. 64bit is being locked away from consumer use again. And first come first serve mentality, pay or go away. The bloody car industry, not content any more with just destroying our environment, want chips. Use- and needless mobile phones not just spying and feeding lies to us, also on our expense, and those likes of cryptominers, they all buy everything electronic at any price, and it is not like they are not bathing in money at no or negative cost anyway. They just can't get enough.

I was so hoping for a positive development, things getting better for us consumers and hobby tinkerers, but the market is totally messed up by those ... parasites, annoyingly superfluous ... life forms ... argh.

Ok, feeling better :-)
In all honesty, the RTX 30-series are more available lately. I actually had a choice between some cards a few weeks ago (At acceptable prices).
But it is really annoying to see youtubers breaking cards trying to beat each others scores!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 18:07

Roeleveld wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:25
In all honesty, the RTX 30-series are more available lately. I actually had a choice between some cards a few weeks ago (At acceptable prices).
But it is really annoying to see youtubers breaking cards trying to beat each others scores!
Just out of curiosity I went and checked Ebuyer mainly to see what the price of a 30 series card was, as I have never actually seen one for sale before. On their site they have listed 22 3060's, 25 3060 TI's, 30 3070's, 27 3080's and 27 3090's and every single one them say, coming soon, not one single 30 series card for sale and they are a major player in the UK. At this rate they will be ready to release the next gen cards before we see them for sale.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 19:15

Precisely zero of those available at any of the online retailers I use, either.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 20:48

Oh, I just checked Amazon, and they have a 3060 on sale on there--for nearly £700. So, that'll be scalpers again, may they all rot in a particularly unpleasant circle of Hell.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 20:49

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 19:15
Precisely zero of those available at any of the online retailers I use, either.
Here is one with semi-regular stock (NL)
https://www.megekko.nl/Computer/Compone ... d-list_cf-

But prices there have been going up recently.

Wish the situation would be better

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 21:29

The problem with us in the UK buying from the Netherlands, is thanks to Brexit we would probably have to add around another 40% to the price. The UK government is also looking to make scalping illegal, not so much the selling hard to get items at extortionate prices, but the use of using bots to buy the goods, as that gives the scalpers an unreasonable advantage over an ordinary person trying to buy the same things. It's also worth noting, they are not doing this as they felt sorry for gamers who couldn't get their XBOX or PS5, no it's because they were told that they could expect it to happen to the goods they wanted to buy E.G. a new television. If you ever want to get a politician to do anything, tell them it is going to effect their wallet personally, and they will get it done, they don't care if it's just going to effect a portion of the population, but effecting themselves is a totally different matter altogether.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 21:36

Chips wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:02
Wasn't there a rant thread v2?
Yes. A version three, maybe four too. mrbadger started one, because he couldn't be bothered finding the older one. This however was the original one, ( I think, ) for what it is worth and the forum copes much better now a days, with long threads, which it did not back then. :)

Edit: Oh yes, a rant to stay on topic... :roll:
Sort of fits in with what Felter says: talking to someone who voted for Brexit, who now starts to moan that he has to pay more for imported stuff, from Europe. I mean DOH!! Even though it is not as much as 40% that you add on Felter. ( Though it is in fact higher if you include increases caused by Covid. :D )
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 27. Feb 21, 00:11

greypanther wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 21:36
Chips wrote:
Yes. A version three, maybe four too. mrbadger started one, because he couldn't be bothered finding the older one. This however was the original one, ( I think, ) for what it is worth and the forum copes much better now a days, with long threads, which it did not back then. :)

Sort of fits in with what Felter says: talking to someone who voted for Brexit, who now starts to moan that he has to pay more for imported stuff, from Europe. I mean DOH!! Even though it is not as much as 40% that you add on Felter. ( Though it is in fact higher if you include increases caused by Covid. :D )
I think the highest I have read is around 38%, that was for clothing. I did mean to originally type, up to around 40%. I have heard it can be more than 40% though, after everyone has added on their extra costs, just not actually seen it that high.

I have already moaned about the moaners that are moaning about the extra costs, especially as the ones doing the most moaning are the ones who voted for it in the first place, which means they don't have the right to moan about it, as they got what the wanted. Its like someone ordering fish and chips, then moaning about getting fish and chips saying they didn't want fish and chips. :D

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Sat, 27. Feb 21, 08:57

felter wrote:
Sat, 27. Feb 21, 00:11
greypanther wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 21:36
Chips wrote:

I think the highest I have read is around 38%, that was for clothing. I did mean to originally type, up to around 40%. I have heard it can be more than 40% though, after everyone has added on their extra costs, just not actually seen it that high.

I have already moaned about the moaners that are moaning about the extra costs, especially as the ones doing the most moaning are the ones who voted for it in the first place, which means they don't have the right to moan about it, as they got what the wanted. Its like someone ordering fish and chips, then moaning about getting fish and chips saying they didn't want fish and chips. :D
Brexit is the best example of a country shooting into their own foot.

On Topic: 16th of March is unacceptable, just got told there will be a major work activity, so won't be able to take the time off...

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 08:49

We're back in "orange area", everything is closed again for the next 2-3 weeks. F**k covid!

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 08:55

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 1. Mar 21, 08:49
We're back in "orange area", everything is closed again for the next 2-3 weeks. F**k covid!
That's 2 weeks too early, 4.0 and COH hasn't been released yet!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 09:01

Roeleveld wrote:
Mon, 1. Mar 21, 08:55
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
I know, right?
I blame lombard people for both covid and not releasing 4.0.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 09:07

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 1. Mar 21, 09:01
Roeleveld wrote:
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
I know, right?
I blame lombard people for both covid and not releasing 4.0.
I hope the borders will be open again in summer, I need a proper holiday.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 10:18

Roeleveld wrote:
I was on holiday in Morocco when everything started a year ago and had to cut my 10-days trip after 3 days only. The first 3 days were literally a car trip with a couple checkpoints to reach the "interesting part of the holiday".

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 10:26

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 1. Mar 21, 10:18
Roeleveld wrote:
I was on holiday in Morocco when everything started a year ago and had to cut my 10-days trip after 3 days only. The first 3 days were literally a car trip with a couple checkpoints to reach the "interesting part of the holiday".
Ouch...
Try again in 2030?

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 11:19

Roeleveld wrote:
Mon, 1. Mar 21, 10:26
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 1. Mar 21, 10:18
Roeleveld wrote:
Ouch...
Try again in 2030?
I hope I can try a bit sooner, but thanks...

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 15:17

Bloody Virgin Money!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: I can't access my money!

I am not in fact willingly, a Virgin Money customer, but a Yorkshire bank customer, have been since teenage years, never overdrawn. However, it's all gone Virgin, which is obviously being a problem at the moment, as they change everything over. Bloody good advert for other banks! ( Not that other banks sometimes have similar problems... :roll: )

Time to open another account, or maybe even two, spread the risk. Not least because the nearest branch to me is now 11.5 miles away! :rant:

I guess failing to plan, is me failed. :oops:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 15:52

They will probably have set aside some money for costs and inconvenience incurred (late payment charges, delayed transfers, and sheer inconvenience of wasted trips and phone calls). No doubt the big investors/savers will have been informed in advance, but even the smaller investors should have access to that recompence if applicable. You have nothing to lose by asking.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 5. Mar 21, 12:38

Err, what's virgin money ? Tax excempt money parked on the Virgin islands ?

-----------

I'm going into a permanent consumer strike. Will only buy what's necessary, and do so at local shops where I can pay with real money.

Reason: I tried several times now to order something over the internet, with international companies as well as ones local to where I live. It is impossible without double verification, mobile telefone registration (I do not have a mobile phone) and id/tax number disclosure. This seems to be a new problem, when I last ordered stuff ~half a year ago things went smoothly without all the bureaucracy.

Of course, this is all to my own protection and good. How gullible do they think I am ?

This is not the world I want to live in.

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”