The Rant Thread. :)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should this thread be renamed as above?

Yes
26%
No
6%
Cook off you miserable old git!
68%

Total votes: 68

Praefectus classis
x4

Re: The Rant Thread. :)

Post by Praefectus classis » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 15:15

greypanther wrote:
Sun, 21. Feb 21, 14:00
Again at the risk of annoying the mods, ( sorry alan, honest. :) ) also at the sort of suggestion of Gavrushka, I thought I would restart this thread from quite a while ago. Was it really so long ago? My doesn't time fly when you are having fun?
Well as you are the original poster and the thread is still relevant then I think you may be OK but every site has their own rules on necroposts.
greypanther wrote:
To restart: Facebook and Twitter! Damn them! :evil:
I know they have some small benefit to the world, but surely this is far outweighed by the negatives? I mean just look at all the false stories, that are supposed to be true, all the damage they can do. Fake news? Then there is the abuse that was coming from the Donald. I feels sure it was all started with the best of intentions, but as my Grandma used to say: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. :rant:

I wish they would ban/shut down both, probably could start a vote on it in fact. It's all Gavruska's fault! The resurection of this thread and my naughty posts, that is... :P
I hate both but I'm on Faceache but only rarely look at it. The last time was October / November last year. I do notice that it's messed up even more than the last time I looked at it. :(

The latest annoyances are with ads on my phone whilst playing Freecell. A couple of months ago I was getting ads for care homes and sheltered accommodation. Last night I got one for booking your cremation in advance! :shock: I know I'm getting on a bit but I'm not even retired yet! :rant:
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 15:27

@ greypanther: It's fine - just don't mention Trump. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 08:57

Can we rant about people ranting?

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 12:10

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 08:57
That is called arguing isn't it?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 12:59

greypanther wrote:
To restart: Facebook and Twitter! Damn them! :evil:
A book on my face would tilt my nose. Hence I prefer Toilet Paper.
It is a service that gathers honest content ...

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 13:27

clakclak wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 12:10
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 08:57
That is called arguing isn't it?
It's called "philosophy", I think.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 13:56

Well, philosophy is not about ranting. It's about pondering reason and knowledge and all the rest (42 and all that :-)).

Grrrrrrr:
Just before that virus hit, graphics cards where about to develop into something really usable. AMD had announced a consumer grade card for under 2000,- that handled 64bit floating point with reasonable performance (that was the Radeon VII Pro). I'm not into mining for cryptocurrency, but it would make rendering big worlds so much easier.

And now ... prices are soaring, newest generation isn't available at all or if you see one then at astronomic prices and even last generation technology is hardly available. 64bit is being locked away from consumer use again. And first come first serve mentality, pay or go away. The bloody car industry, not content any more with just destroying our environment, want chips. Use- and needless mobile phones not just spying and feeding lies to us, also on our expense, and those likes of cryptominers, they all buy everything electronic at any price, and it is not like they are not bathing in money at no or negative cost anyway. They just can't get enough.

I was so hoping for a positive development, things getting better for us consumers and hobby tinkerers, but the market is totally messed up by those ... parasites, annoyingly superfluous ... life forms ... argh.

Ok, feeling better :-)

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 22:32

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 13:27
No, clakclak is right, it is just arguing, I think. :P

That said maybe the OP should be re posted, because I guess most things go, if it releases tension for you. :D
Considering the high level of inteligence of the denizens of OT, also considering the high percentage of very opinionated people, who often feel the need for a good old rant, I thought it might be a good idea to start a rant thread. :)

I considered it would be better to just use this thread for a general rant, rather than risk upsetting anyone by giving any impression of directing that rant, in another thread.

Anyone want to give it a go? Go on! Venting your spleen, as it were, is said to be good for you! Who knows, you may even find a little catharsis? :) ( Mmm, one of those sentences is redundant I guess.. )
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 08:42

greypanther wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 22:32
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 13:27
No, clakclak is right, it is just arguing, I think. :P

That said maybe the OP should be re posted, because I guess most things go, if it releases tension for you. :D
Whatever, Plato. :| :lol:

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:19

Teenagers! was I ever that annoying? well, I am sure I was, but as by parents are dead, they cannot laugh at my words about my 19 year old son...

Why does he still pee down the outside of the toilet when sitting down to do his " business? " :rant:

He is bloody 20 this summer...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:41

Maybe you shouldn't let him read 'those magazines' while he is on the throne? What's wrong with Gardeners' Weekly in the smallest room? :D

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:45

:lol:

He never reads magazines or books. However he nearly always takes his i phone in there with him... :o

Incidently, yes I agree, that example of a teddy bear I linked above, is a thing of nightmares, but was the first one I found. It works in a way though... :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:50

(Hee, hee. Wrong thread for teddy bears!)

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:58

greypanther wrote:
Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:19
Teenagers! was I ever that annoying? well, I am sure I was, but as by parents are dead, they cannot laugh at my words about my 19 year old son...

Why does he still pee down the outside of the toilet when sitting down to do his " business? " :rant:

He is bloody 20 this summer...
I can tell you exactly what he's doing. He's just letting his business flop about instead of angling it downward so he's splashing up over the rim of the bowl.

Kids suck.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:02

greypanther wrote:
Was it really so long ago? My doesn't time fly when you are having fun?
Wasn't there a rant thread v2?

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:22

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 21. Feb 21, 15:27
@ greypanther: It's fine - just don't mention Trump. :D
You just did :gruebel:

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:25

BaronVerde wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 13:56
Well, philosophy is not about ranting. It's about pondering reason and knowledge and all the rest (42 and all that :-)).

Grrrrrrr:
Just before that virus hit, graphics cards where about to develop into something really usable. AMD had announced a consumer grade card for under 2000,- that handled 64bit floating point with reasonable performance (that was the Radeon VII Pro). I'm not into mining for cryptocurrency, but it would make rendering big worlds so much easier.

And now ... prices are soaring, newest generation isn't available at all or if you see one then at astronomic prices and even last generation technology is hardly available. 64bit is being locked away from consumer use again. And first come first serve mentality, pay or go away. The bloody car industry, not content any more with just destroying our environment, want chips. Use- and needless mobile phones not just spying and feeding lies to us, also on our expense, and those likes of cryptominers, they all buy everything electronic at any price, and it is not like they are not bathing in money at no or negative cost anyway. They just can't get enough.

I was so hoping for a positive development, things getting better for us consumers and hobby tinkerers, but the market is totally messed up by those ... parasites, annoyingly superfluous ... life forms ... argh.

Ok, feeling better :-)
In all honesty, the RTX 30-series are more available lately. I actually had a choice between some cards a few weeks ago (At acceptable prices).
But it is really annoying to see youtubers breaking cards trying to beat each others scores!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 18:07

Roeleveld wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:25
In all honesty, the RTX 30-series are more available lately. I actually had a choice between some cards a few weeks ago (At acceptable prices).
But it is really annoying to see youtubers breaking cards trying to beat each others scores!
Just out of curiosity I went and checked Ebuyer mainly to see what the price of a 30 series card was, as I have never actually seen one for sale before. On their site they have listed 22 3060's, 25 3060 TI's, 30 3070's, 27 3080's and 27 3090's and every single one them say, coming soon, not one single 30 series card for sale and they are a major player in the UK. At this rate they will be ready to release the next gen cards before we see them for sale.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 19:15

Precisely zero of those available at any of the online retailers I use, either.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 20:48

Oh, I just checked Amazon, and they have a 3060 on sale on there--for nearly £700. So, that'll be scalpers again, may they all rot in a particularly unpleasant circle of Hell.

Return to “Off Topic English”