[MOD] Racial Laser Variants (Beta 0.93)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Meros
x3tc

Post by Meros » Wed, 13. Aug 08, 02:39

Hey there Gazz, I allready use some of your great scripts (Stealth laser towers and MARS among others) and really enjoy them, so big thanks to you.
I was wondering though, if I could run the heavy laser part for cap ships (in a XTM game) without using the different racial lasers AL?
So that cap ships will use heavy versions of the standard (well standard in XTM) weapons.
The reason I ask is that I also use the Terracorp package (fighterbase commander and Taskforce) so I have lots of fighters, which I really dont wanna jump into each of them to equip racial lasers.
Or would it be better for me to try your (old) heavy laser mod?

Greetz Meros.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 13. Aug 08, 09:08

Meros wrote:The reason I ask is that I also use the Terracorp package (fighterbase commander and Taskforce) so I have lots of fighters, which I really dont wanna jump into each of them to equip racial lasers.
Is that how you equip your fighters now? You can do that a lot quicker.
Racial lasers aren't any more work to equip than bland ones since every laser is auto equipped if you transfer it from carrier to fighter.
If the fighters had lasers before, they still have lasers after.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Meros
x3tc

Post by Meros » Wed, 13. Aug 08, 11:15

Hmm somehow I got it into my head that I had to manually equip all my fighters, If that's not the case I am a happy camper :)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 26. Aug 08, 12:04

Version Beta 8.5 released.

Equipment dock issue fixed.
Impossible? Sure.
Engine limitation? Right...

Mod should now work. Always.
It takes quite a while to setup all equipment docks.
The one in your current sector is always ignored so test another one. =)

Headquarters only tested briefly but should work.

[*] Equipment docks carry energy cells.
Now your M1 can refuel somewhere. What a novel concept...

[*] Pirate bases fixed.

[*] Equipment docks carry all shields and missiles produced by friendly races in the surrounding sectors.

If the last producing fab closes the existing stock is sold and the ware taken off the inventory.

I've always wondered why I can't buy 25MJ shields in Argon Prime when they are produced only 2 sectors away - even by an argon factory.
Don't they know about that?

The "economy" finally got a little more dynamic, reacting to what actually happens in the universe.
Last edited by Gazz on Wed, 27. Aug 08, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CraterFace

Post by CraterFace » Tue, 26. Aug 08, 19:56

I just installed your latest version of this script and my Orca, with you MARS ;), does not seem to want to install Boron weapons (Boron AFlak/BPAC).

I loaded up some argon ones (APAC) and it worked like MARS usually does (only one gun at the time in each turret until there are any enemies around).

Mabey I missunderstod the first page but is this not compatible with MARS or does it actually mount weapons when enemies are in range?

Edit: Noticed right now that it says "Laser not avalible"
"Various empirical models (intelligent approximations based on intuition, guesswork, and fiddling adjustable constants)."

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 27. Aug 08, 07:45

I went to Kingdom End and uhh... stole the Ray there.
Of course it had only boron lasers.

MARS as well as the AI turret script did use and change weapons.
Doesn't matter which race they are from.

CraterFace

Post by CraterFace » Wed, 27. Aug 08, 12:42

Ok, I'll do a fresh install and try it again :)
"Various empirical models (intelligent approximations based on intuition, guesswork, and fiddling adjustable constants)."

Meros
x3tc

Post by Meros » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 00:45

Hyas Gazz, somehow my PHQ gets forced into selling and supplying storage space (half of total space in the PHQ) for 999 Heavy Laser generators. Any advice on how to get rid of this?

Blackstar1989

Post by Blackstar1989 » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 04:56

Erm, Gazz, can you please make this compatable with CmodII. I really like the "heavy" laser aspect (too bad you closed the other one down, that COULD have been compatable with CmodII!) I need more varients for my federation but im not willing to give up my CMODII!

P.S. IF theres any links for more weapons, lasers, ETC that are compatable with XTM and CMODII, post them here please. thanks. :)

RedEyedRaven
x4

Post by RedEyedRaven » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 06:53

@Blackstar1989
This mod IS compatible. But the Data of CMODII will be overwritten by the RLM.
The only way would be that Gazz and ulfius would combine their work (I don't think they'll do because the goals of their projects are quite different). I personally think the only really cool things in Cmod II are the Laser effects (I just love the new look of the terran EMP's), the sounds and the higher FPS ratio.
All other things are better in Gazz's work in my opinion.
2023: X4: Seafood-restaurant 'Split' opens in ZYA-space. Reservations limited, get yours today!

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 12:41

Blackstar1989 wrote:(too bad you closed the other one down, that COULD have been compatable with CmodII!)
No.
It's the exact same thing. The RLM operates on a far greater scale but all problems or incompatibilities are identical.

There is a 99.9% chance that is is indeed compatible with CMOD right now.
Of course you would get my version of all lasers.
Changing things is the basic principle behind mods. =P

RedEyedRaven wrote:I personally think the only really cool things in Cmod II are the Laser effects (I just love the new look of the terran EMP's), the sounds and the higher FPS ratio.
I bet that RLM helps a lot with FPS...

Fighters have never been a major issue because their lasers have a lifetime of 1-7 seconds and fighter attack runs are spaced out by a lot of maneuvering.
That results in "fighter bullets" contributing very little to the CPU load.
Cap ship turrets fire near 100% of the time and PPC have lifetimes of 15-30 sec. That endless stream of white death requires constant collision detection all the way, the whole time.

So... since cap ships now use heavy lasers (including heavy PPC!) the number of active bullets is reduced by about 1/3. That's pretty serious.

Laser graphics and sound effects I don't know about. That is something I could look at when everything else works but for now this is still a beta version.
It looks relatively stable and reliable so far and I havent found anything broken recently.
(The PHQ issue is trivial. Just 1-2 missing lines.)

I'm not quite sure what the design philosophy behind CMOD is but for the RLM it's quite clear.
- more diversity in how different races fight (finally!)
- believable integration of equipment docks into the economy - with regards to race relations
- ED dynamically react to market changes and opportunities caused by both GoD and player
- FPS reduction especially with cap ships
- the huge (and only them!) cap ships no longer have the disadvantage of their own size when using "small" anti-fighter lasers.
(That's more of a long overdue bugfix than a design change!)

Small cap ships like the Hyperion can use only very few and very small "heavy" lasers such as APAC or thereabouts.
It does help with missile defense or swatting that last super fast M5 without radically overpowering such ships with hypercharged AHEPT or the likes.
Besides, it's a pretty cool feature that even small cap ships like M6 can play with the big boy lasers because their woefully few turret lasers hardly ever abort a fighter's attack run early enough to matter.
The defensive value of their few turrets is substantially increased without altering the total firepower of the ship.
That's the way I think. =)

Blackstar1989

Post by Blackstar1989 » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 13:37

Well, Thanks for the info guys, very helpful, truely! (no sarcasm intended)

By the way, the reason I like CmodII is because everything is rebalanced and salvos are made mure uneven. gives combat some diversity and then again, so would this mod. UGH! I cant choose! :roll:

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 13:59

Hmm, salvos.
I could tell MARS to fire in salvos as opposed to the typical "stream of white death".
It already does fire (2 second minimum) salvos so simply adding a "wait 1 sec" at the end of every "turn" would make the firing appear more salvoish. =)

Granted, artificial breaks for no good reason whatsoever do hurt the effectivity of the script but *shrug* - if someone thinks that's prettier...
It's really only one simple line. 2 if I make it optional because I definitely won't cripple the script by default. =)

CraterFace

Post by CraterFace » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 14:00

Do you have any plans on making racial shields?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 14:10

No.
Ships are already balanced through the number and type of shield they can install.

This is completely different from lasers where every M3 could use the standard 8 AHEPT, 8 APAC... you get the idea.
With the exception of very situational lasers like PSG there was no diversity whatsoever.
Oh, yeah. The laser generator. That's such an obvious distinction.
(Note the dripping sarcasm inherent in that sentence!)

Besides, I've had my share of technical issues and engine limitations for a while. =P

Meros
x3tc

Post by Meros » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 15:59

Those 2 simple lines that that would fix that trivial PHQ storage problem, would you be so helpfull to post those and what file to insert them and on what line in the script?

Losing half my storage space because the space maffia keeps on transporting Heavy Generators into my brand new Station (undetected I might well add), this seriously mucks up my future plans (to start building some heavy duty ships). :wink:

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 16:01

Just re-download the thing.

Version 8.7 released.

No important changes, just cleaning up.
Correct installation/upgrade messages etc.

TiggerBandit
x3

Post by TiggerBandit » Sat, 30. Aug 08, 03:36

still having problems with my EQDs for all races.
they start out with all the stuff, but over time it disappers, and none of them seem to have any upgrades.
It is hard to soar like an eagle, when you are surrounded by Turkeys.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 30. Aug 08, 16:40

Try just doing the initial installation (2 complete passes of the AL plugin), then turn the plugin off so ED are not touched again.

TiggerBandit
x3

Post by TiggerBandit » Sun, 31. Aug 08, 05:02

OK, that didnt work after all, thought it did initially, but now they have all gone nutty again.
Would not have anything to do with Stevio's weapons dealers by any chance ?
Also it seems to stop DDRS from working and giving you missions.
It is hard to soar like an eagle, when you are surrounded by Turkeys.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”