Mission Director Basics and Installation

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

MJALowe
x3

Post by MJALowe » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 02:09

CBJ, there is the name of the pilot i believe (might have been name of ship)

its one of the things symtec did to get that unloged incomeing question thing of his to do its thing...and it works wonders...with that i can finally consider makeing a menu system for the unreleased advanced features of IFTSOS...before it would have been too anoying what with the log book getting filled....or too command/hotkey intensive - no release date yet...im not even done with the menu let alone the functionality of all the options

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Fri, 11. Jan 08, 22:34

Alright, I'm most likely just thick...

but I've created a "director" folder in my X3 directory, moved the "Helloworld" example out of "samples" and into "director," started a new game and changed my name to "Thereshallbewings." But I have not yet received any sort of "Hello world" message. I also tried the question templates, they won't show either, and neither will the mission I'm writing.

Flog me for being a noob, but what am I missing? :roll:

EDIT

And I'm running X3 v 2.5, that's probably relevant.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Sat, 12. Jan 08, 00:31

Hi Tenlar Scarflame,

Have you reset the Mission Director? - I had the same problem until I did so.

You must be in space, not docked.
Press the Enter key on the Numeric Key Pad, this will display a panel called Main - at the bottom is Mission Director.
Click on this - if it shows something under Cues, then all is well.
If it does not show something under Cues, then click on Reset Mission Director.

Boron - Ol Fh'art
Public Service announcement

Growing old is not a disease - it is a delayed symptom of birth trauma.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sat, 12. Jan 08, 00:41

Now working. Knew it would be something silly. :P Thanks much B-O'F.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

B-O'F
x3tc

Post by B-O'F » Sat, 12. Jan 08, 00:46

Hi Tenlar Scarflame,

No problem - learn by your mistakes (as I did), they then stick.... I have learned a lot that way......

This should have been explained in the original post on instalation, but wasn't (yet! - could it please be added?)

Boron - Ol Fh'art
Public Service announcement

Growing old is not a disease - it is a delayed symptom of birth trauma.

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Sun, 13. Jan 08, 18:04

Question about the text files;
in the sample text files folder you give an example text file with a file name of "3247"
the contents of which doesn't have the usual "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>"
- i always assumed this line was necessary? :?

seeing as the page id inside the file is "247" i assume the 3247 is a prefix of some kind
- is it especially for the mission director? as it doesnt seem (atleast for me anyway) that the mission director can read the format of text files we've all used for MSCI scripting :?
i.e. 441234

i always get a =TextIDNotFound= no matter how i do it :gruebel:

[edit - just tried using some general game text like {17,2011} (solar power plant) and that displays text fine it just seems to be new text files]

Cheers
Stevio

Toastie
x3tc

Post by Toastie » Sun, 13. Jan 08, 20:47

Stevio, some of the samples still contained text file references from some temporary text files used while those particular missions were being developed. You'll notice earlier in the thread that I reposted the Lottery misson with the text included, because the sample provided contained those temporary textfile references.

Suffice it to say that if you wish to use text files, all you need to do is create the text file in the normal manner, place it in the normal place using the normal naming convention for textfiles and as long as all of your references are correct, you should have displayed text in your missions.

Edit: Your best bet to get the provided textfile working is to change its name to 443247 and change all of the references in the mission file to 3247,xx as well. It wouldn't do any harm to include the UTF-8 encoding line at the top also. Hope that works.

HTH

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Sun, 13. Jan 08, 21:10

Toastie wrote:Suffice it to say that if you wish to use text files, all you need to do is create the text file in the normal manner, place it in the normal place using the normal naming convention for textfiles and as long as all of your references are correct, you should have displayed text in your missions.
thanks for the reply Toastie,
i've definately got all the references right

Code: Select all

Text file: x3 reunion\t\448560.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<language id="44">
<page id="8560" title="BSG: CotG" descr="Mission Text">
    <t id="1">Hello Nugget</t>
    <t id="2">Colonial Flight Instructor</t>
  </page>
</language>

Mission director file: x3 reunion\director\cotgbf.xml
snippet

<cue name="cotgbfready">
              <condition>
                <check_all>
                  <check_value value="{player.age}" min="5s"/>
                </check_all>
              </condition>
              <action>
                <incoming_message author="{8560,2}" text="{8560,1}"/>
              </action>
            </cue>
and all i end up with is a message from "unknown" and "=TextIDNotFound="

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 13. Jan 08, 21:37

Was there a 'load_page' instruction or something?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Sun, 13. Jan 08, 21:55

Your a genius i never even saw that command :wall:

<load_text fileid="8560"/>
required in the <action> tags

good thinking jlehtone

Toastie
x3tc

Post by Toastie » Sun, 13. Jan 08, 23:36

Oh yes and you'll probably need to use the load_text to load the file into the MD too :oops:

Sorry, was responding in a hurry earlier and forgot that bit.

saber1
x3tc

Post by saber1 » Mon, 14. Jan 08, 21:35

Another question:
I'm trying the PDF Guide, that comes with the MD.
First example "Hello world" - works fine :) (after added <load_text> and removed max from checkin {player.age}
- i'm running XTM and it's blocking first minute or two after new start).
Second example - still working on it, but ... there is {reward.money@veryeasy.XXXT} - and here is the big question:
Does anybody know what the XXXT is for? :? - In the command listing it states that it is "discipline" - What it is? and How i use it? :gruebel:
Any ideas?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 14. Jan 08, 21:39

The discipline string is TFBT (Trade, Fight, Build, Think). Anything other than the appropriate letter in the appropriate position is ignored. The convention is to use Xs for disciplines that are not included in the mission. So XFXX is a Fight mission and XXXT is a Think mission (used for anything that doesn't fit into the other three disciplines). The reward calculations are slightly different for the different disciplines, so for example the Trade discipline will put more weight on things like your trade ranking.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 14. Jan 08, 22:57

I'm looking into playing movies possibilities. Does anyone know what <play_cinematic> does/how it works? I haven't tried <play_movie> yet but will give it a try tonight.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 14. Jan 08, 23:01

Bad news I'm afraid. The <play_cinematic> action isn't implemented in this version. I'm not sure how it sneaked into the schema as I thought I'd removed anything that wasn't going to be available. The <play_movie> action should work though.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 14. Jan 08, 23:07

CBJ wrote:Bad news I'm afraid. The <play_cinematic> action isn't implemented in this version. I'm not sure how it sneaked into the schema as I thought I'd removed anything that wasn't going to be available. The <play_movie> action should work though.
Ok, thanks CBJ. One question: What happens to game UI if I make Movie type=fullscreen (while movie is playing)? Is game action temporarily suspended?

Stevio
x3tc

Post by Stevio » Mon, 14. Jan 08, 23:12

i was interested in that too i havent used them yet

from the description in "director.htm" i believe <play_cinematic> is just a command to make the camera follow the "object"/"position in space" for a specified time (in ms)
(like the begining of a new game you see your buster shoot off then the camera spins slowly around the argon one)
i.e. (not sure if its an one line command or whether it requires a close tag - could be both?)

<action>
  <play_cinematic object="{player.ship}" distance="1km" duration="100ms"/>
</action>
whereas the <play_movie> i assume plays an external movie file but what directory they go in i dont know yet

edit: @CBJ damn was looking forward to using this, any idea on where the movie files go tho in the \MOV folder??

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 14. Jan 08, 23:25

Observe wrote:What happens to game UI if I make Movie type=fullscreen (while movie is playing)? Is game action temporarily suspended?
The finer details of things like movie playback are something you'll have to experiment with I'm afraid. As far as I can see both briefing and fullscreen modes freeze the gameplay, but I could easily be wrong about that.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 14. Jan 08, 23:30

Fair enough. I'll give playing movie a shot and see what happens. Presumably parameters are similar to playing billboard videos. In any case, should be interesting.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 15. Jan 08, 00:07

I just had another look, prompted by one of the DevNet people, and discovered that I was wrong about <play_cinematic> not being implemented. It is implemented, and it provides a couple of basic external views for a defined period of time, to help with mission storytelling.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”