[WIP] Tenlar's X-music

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Raven112
x3

Post by Raven112 » Sun, 3. Jun 07, 01:15

Just downloaded the tracks now, very good! Original and creative, I'll definitely be adding them into the game when I get it.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 3. Jun 07, 20:23

Updated for completion of the Paranid combat track, Blind to the Power of the Three.

Much, much darker than The Thin Line and For Pride. :twisted:
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Raven112
x3

Post by Raven112 » Sat, 9. Jun 07, 16:57

'Tis very good!

Here's something interesting, everytime I listen to your music on my computer it gets added to last.fm online:

Tenlar Scarflame @ Last.fm

You're an official artist!

KaZsaru

Post by KaZsaru » Sun, 10. Jun 07, 09:31

Tenlar:

Great work on such original music. Small gripe though (which is turning big even though how hard I try to ignore it :x )

Overamp crackling in "The Thin Line..." and "For Pride..."

I dont want to sound like I'm begging, but...

*gets to his knees*

Please please please please re-record them so they dont over-amplify and crackle? I've got sensitive ears and no matter how much I want to listen to your tracks, my ears just say no! :cry:

Goes to show that using headphones does have disadvantages :cry: I even tried to cancel out the crackling in Audacity but to no avail :cry:

Please, Tenlar, your music is great, I just dont want my ears to start rebelling against me.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 10. Jun 07, 17:00

I've actually re-exported quieter versions of both "Thin Line" and "For Pride", they'll be up for download shortly. The crackle is 95% dealt with in these. :)

KaZsaru

Post by KaZsaru » Sun, 10. Jun 07, 17:15

Tenlar Scarflame wrote:I've actually re-exported quieter versions of both "Thin Line" and "For Pride", they'll be up for download shortly. The crackle is 95% dealt with in these. :)
Let me be the voice that speaks for all sensitive-eared-X-flyers as I say: THANK YOU! :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now my F5 key is going to get worn today :D

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 10. Jun 07, 17:22

The decision to re-export them came after I sent them to my iPod and gave them a listen on the way to work... my little iPod headphones couldn't handle them very well :roll:

But Blind to the Power seems to be mixed well? Is anyone getting crackle in that one?

EDIT

The new For Pride is up. I made an interesting discovery about that one- when I mixed it down the first time, for some reason I had the master volume set to about 150%. :P Whoops! It's back down to below jet noise level.

With regards to The Thin Line, what's the time stamp where you get crackle? Or is it the whole thing?

KaZsaru

Post by KaZsaru » Sun, 10. Jun 07, 18:22

I've ran a normalization filter over all three tracks before putting them in. Cleans the craclke up somewhat. On The Thin Line the crackling happens on the climaxes of the song from:

0:42-0:47
big bas beat at 0:50 and a bit 10 seconds more after that
1:43-2:12 where the guitar kicks in
2:22-2:32 not that bad, but noticable on headphones
2:32-2:53 the buildup to the climax of the song has some major overamp crackle

In all honesty, the entire track may need work like For Pride, since in it's entirety, it actually sounds it was recorded at 120-140% master volume.

NOTE: after running Audacity's normalize filter over the current (read: OLD) "The Thin Line..." track, 99% of all crackle has gone away.

EDIT NOTE:
I have to say, the new For Pride, For Family never sounded so good :)
Last edited by KaZsaru on Sun, 10. Jun 07, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 10. Jun 07, 18:28

Crikey!! You're right, that one was exported at about 130% volume. Okay, that one will be up shortly... :roll:

KaZsaru

Post by KaZsaru » Sun, 10. Jun 07, 18:32

:lol: Goes to show, triplechecking one's equipment is a must.

Sorta reminds me of the time when I went out and fought against 3 pirate novas (in XTM, they were bugged with 1.5GJ of shielding. Yep, 1.5GJ) in my M5 (of which I never noticed I was in it) till I saw "The End" on the first pass.

one big "wtf" moment for me.

Blind to the Power is fine as is, loud, but fine. Normalizing on my end before putting it in X3 is a must, so it'll match the other tracks I have for combat in terms of communal volume level. As that track stands on its own, its perfect in volume level. A bit "off" for Paranid, but still great :D

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 10. Jun 07, 18:38

Hah... I had that same experience in a Buster. I nailed one with a full volley of BPAC's and laughed maniacally as I sent a silkworm barreling for his nose...

I then checked his shields, which I had managed to budge about one notch. :o

^ while I had the above expression on my face, I failed to react in time to his rear turret and was pasted. :roll:

Incidentally, the new Thin Line is now up. ^^

EDIT

Heh... yes, now that I've reduced the first two in volume, Blind to the Power does sound a bit loud. :roll:

KaZsaru

Post by KaZsaru » Sun, 10. Jun 07, 18:51

THANK YOU TENLAR!

You have no idea how happy my ears are right now. All tracks are now saved, copies made, normalized, and placed into my X3 game.

Time to rock (and roll)! :D :D :D

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 11. Jun 07, 02:53

Quite welcome. :thumb_up: I think I'm going to finish out the combat tracks before I move on to the sector tracks... not that there's anything wrong with the original combat tracks, but it still bugs me whenever one of them pops up instead of the edgier recent stuff. Without the edginess I simply don't fight as well :P

EDIT

let me clarify... the rest of the combat tracks will be done this summer. :D Now that there's actually time and incentive to sit down and compose. I may also have some sector tracks done this summer, we'll see.

coppercore
x3

Post by coppercore » Thu, 10. Apr 08, 19:42

I used to have all three tracks... utter masterpieces :D

I just started playing X3 again and tried to get them and it's saying the file no longer exsists. Is there anyway you could repost them? I'd love to get them again, they make excellent combat music.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Thu, 10. Apr 08, 20:15

Wow, there's still interest in this? Giant ego boost. :D

Yeah, I figured the links would be dead by now. I'll get them back up on the double.

Unfortunately, the project is just a bit slightly, uh... on hold. Due to some epic RL issues. If anyone's in architecture school you'll understand. :shock: But don't worry, I haven't abandoned this... I do have ideas churning for Teladi and Boron combat tracks, among others. ^^

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Thu, 10. Apr 08, 20:32

The thing is that you can't assign combat tracks to a specific reace iirc. :think:

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Thu, 10. Apr 08, 21:31

Well no, but there are 5 combat tracks and there are 5 main races... figured that lined up well :)

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Thu, 1. May 08, 05:08

Now performing some epic level necromancy to report the completion of my fourth track! It's the Argon sector track entitled Children of Sol, Brothers of Sonra.

It and the three completed combat tracks will be uploaded post-haste. :)

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Thu, 1. May 08, 18:30

uploaded. Enjoyment and feedback welcome :)

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Thu, 1. May 08, 19:23

Tenlar Scarflame wrote:uploaded. Enjoyment and feedback welcome :)
I stopped the music in the X3 options in favour of playing my own playlist with a small mp3 player.

I listened to 3 of your tracks and I think you've done very well.

Having listened to "Blind to the power of the three" I am curious to know if you listen to bands like Symphony-X or Dream Theatre?

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”