[Script] SatelliteDeploy v1.12 (18/01/2006)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

thE_sAnE
x3

Post by thE_sAnE » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 12:37

I never said 'someone should write this'. I even assumed that noone would think it worth the effort. And as i also said i have been looking at the scripts, but as you can imagine its quite hard understanding a script that isnt commented much(and as a complete novice :wink: ). tbh i only originally posted cos it just so happened i was looking at it the night before someone else brought this old thread to the top of the forum.

Edit: oooh, you were probably talking to the other guy, nvm me...
Suffering From Sanity

shadowdemon2

Post by shadowdemon2 » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 12:45

Gazz wrote:Well, "someone should write this" hardly ever works.
If you have time to play X3 you clearly have time to write the scripts you want.
Not "being" a scripter is hardly an excuse. Noone was born as one. =P
Well, I think you saw what I was up to recently. Actually, I haven't *played* X3 for like 6 months! I don't need those changes; I am happy with this script as it is. I was just suggesting that this would probably be more efficient. I spend at least 9 hours a day programming at work, and "optimizing" is basically what I spend most of my time doing, so I though I would share my expertise on how to make this faster.

I played X3 (+XTM) for like a year, and didn't manage to finish the plot, or build any kind of significant empire in that time, as I just haven't enough time for that. Now I upgraded my PC and the new one won't load my saved games, so I have to start from scratch. I don't want to ever have to start from scratch again, because I know that if I do I will never "finish" it (by whatever definition of "finish" you want to use).

So my personal goal is to start again with the biggest, most complete, collection of scripts that will work together, so as to accelerate my progress as much as possible (but without "cheating"), in the hope that I will then manage to "finish" the game eventually.

To create this "biggest, most complete, collection of scripts" I need to know about all the available scripts, and their incompatibilities. That is why I rewrote the Index. Now I am busy (when I get some free time) trying to find the real download links of all those scripts (and all the unlisted ones I can find through the forum), and try to download every one that is still available.

Once I'm done doing that, I'll put up an online archive where all I found will be available for download, with some simple tool that helps selecting compatible scripts.

When that is done, then I'll be able to build my personal "collection of scripts" and start playing again (with any luck). I would rather hope that I don't have to learn how to script X3, as there are already a lot of scripts out there that do about anything that one might want. I think that spending time finding those, and making them easily available for everyone, is a much more sensible goal. It's not like I couldn't learn it (anyone that managed to learn how to write assembler programs can learn to program in about every language), but I haven't got enough fingers to count all the programming languages I already learned, and I don't want to clutter my head with just another one special-purpose language, with very limited use.

NB: There are already some sites with collections of scripts, but as far as I know that covers at best 1/4 of everything that is "out there".
thE_sAnE wrote:oooh, you were probably talking to the other guy, nvm me...
Yes, I think he was talking to me.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 14:43

Actually I wan't talking to anyone in particular.
Oh, and in no game I've ever got enough race rank to buy any M2. =)

While your optimisation concept is intended for maximum resource saving it is not very transparent to the user.
The sat deployers would work with old data for hours instead of reacting to changes in their immediate environment first.
Even though the script would work as intended, a lot of users would consider it buggy that a ship buzzes off to deploy sats 5 sectors away when it "should" start in the current sector instead.

Anyway. There are several possible approaches to optimize that script but without someone to implement that, it's not going to happen. =)
I just expanded the deployment patterns a little because they were too ahh... modest for my taste. I want those sectors lit up like christmas trees. =P
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

shadowdemon2

Post by shadowdemon2 » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 20:14

Gazz wrote:Oh, and in no game I've ever got enough race rank to buy any M2. =)
I don't buy M2 (or M1), I steal them from the Xenon... ;)
Gazz wrote:While your optimisation concept is intended for maximum resource saving it is not very transparent to the user.
The sat deployers would work with old data for hours instead of reacting to changes in their immediate environment first.
Even though the script would work as intended, a lot of users would consider it buggy that a ship buzzes off to deploy sats 5 sectors away when it "should" start in the current sector instead.
OMG! You sound like my boss! :lol: Of course you're right. Ideally, one would give the user the choice between "resource usage" and "responsiveness", but that's usually an overkill because it would make the code too complicated. Better two different but simpler scripts, and the user must then decide which one to install.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 20:26

shadowdemon2 wrote:OMG! You sound like my boss! :lol:
Maybe I am? =P
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”