[Script] SatelliteDeploy v1.12 (18/01/2006)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 20:27

Glad its not just me, its annoying that it appears again and again and again though. Its only happens since last version though I think.

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 22:20

:o Oh, so it was this script that started doing that. Hmm, well at least now I know before starting a fresh game. I might hold off on this script then, til it gets a minor update, as the spam in the player's log was a bit much. Even though I hardly open the thing up. :lol:
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

CO. Dragon Corp

Post by CO. Dragon Corp » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 23:15

Hi Bhruic,

you seem to be very busy lately, don't you?

There's a PM I've sent to you one day before :wink: . Would be nice if you could update your upload (--> see PM), so that I can release your script in the german modding forum :) .
Commanding Officer of the 'Dragon Corporation'
[ external image ]

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 19:10

Just a little additional info regarding the 'spamming': I noticed when I had two deployment ships the messages only came up for one of them (the 'oldest'). When that one got destroyed the messages continued for the other ship instead.

Anyone of you with several deployers get the messages for both/all of them?

Not sure if it's relevant, but it could perhaps narrow down the troubleshooting.

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 23:04

I just recently restarted due to a bit of a problem in my game (not related to this script.) My last game I remember noticing the logbook spamming. I'm not sure when it started, and didn't look very much into it at the time. I just know I looked into my logbook to get some info on something, and saw message after message that, to me, looked like gibberish.

So far, I've started a new game though, and scripted in some Disco's and money, trying to get back to where I was. My logbook so far has been okay, even running multiple ships with this software. I have however made sure that I saved to a new spot, just in case I notice it acting up again. I'm not SETAing over night, but I do take a few minutes every time before I quit playing to leave it on SETA and let the ships do their work. Mostly just letting it run a bit to see if I start getting the logbook messages once more.

As of last night though, everything was working fine. Normal messages where coming through as expected, including the occaisional message of one of my ships being destroyed. lol

Also, not sure if it helps to identify the problem or not, but in my previous game, I was originally running the older version of this script. I didn't notice any message spamming in that version, but didn't really look either. Then I upgraded the script, and tried just copying it over the old one. Anyone's that tried that, knows it doesn't work, as it doesn't give you the message box to select the different options. I then went back, removed them both, cleaned the save for a bit, and then put the new script back on. It wasn't until after a bit of playing, that I noticed the messages in the logbook.

-Eidolon
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 10:42

Okay, in my new game I'm getting the spammed logbook again. I think it didn't start until after one of the ships running the software was destroyed. I could be very wrong on this, but I think the script is still looking for the ship that was destroyed, and since it cannot find the ship, it makes a logbook entry. Only thing is, the script is still running, just like if it can't find a station to buy satellites from, it'll try again later. So instead of the script terminating on the ship when it's destroyed, it keeps trying to run, every so often ,and each time it tries to run, since there's not ship by that same ship ID, it makes a logbook entry. Hence the many messages filling up the logbook.

-Eidolon

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 14:34

No Because the ship it is looking for in my game is the one presently on Satelite deployment. Also this is the only ship I have used

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 15:48

Sorry for not responding earlier guys, I've been away (and am still, in fact, away) from my main system, so don't have reliable internet access. Nor do I have access to X3 at this point, so I can't check what's up.

I should be back on Monday, so I'll look into it at that point, and hopefully come up with a fix. Sorry for the delay.

Bh

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 22:07

No worries on not responding, I just figured you were off playing X3 rather than checking the forums. :D

In fact, I was starting to feel bad, seeing the posts adding up, with you not around, like now we were spamming your thread. :lol:

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Fri, 13. Jan 06, 04:48

Still not home, but wanted to deal with a few points here...
X-it wrote:I've been running a Discoverer for a few hours now placing 8 normal sats in each sector. It works great, but it's having a hard time finding enough satellites. It usually buys 10-12, just enough for little over 1 sector, then it has to go look again.
There's not much I can do about such supply issues. In my game I have the same problem - too few AdvSats, mainly because Majaglit doesn't get spread well. Try making sure the stations are full up on material and they should make enough.
I think he sets the sats a bit too close, as they overlap each other very much, and the effective area is still quite small. Haven't tried advanced sats yet though (a bit too expensive for me now).
It may appear that way, but that's a function of the 2d display. The satellites are deployed so that they barely cover the 0/0/0 point. If they get moved out farther, you can lose ships in the center of the system.

The specific math being:
x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = d^2

Since x, y, z are all equal, and we know d is 35000 for AdvSat, it's easy to do the math to figure out how far from the origin they can be and still cover it.
I would also like the option of having them place 4 sats in each sector, something like random50 mentioned, but I suspect his suggestion would be quite difficult to manage? Another option with 4 sats in a square would be great for now.
So have them set on the y plane? That's doable, but they are more likely to be targeted in that case.

I'd like to see if I can get random50's suggestion in, but I'll need to come up with some distance system that makes sense. We'll see if that's doable when I get back.

Bh

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Fri, 13. Jan 06, 11:47

Bhruic, you should PM Burianek sometime and as for your script to be included in the list of community scripts stickied at the top of the thread. For one, it'll help people find it, and two it can help to ensure compatibility with other scripts out there so that no one uses the same command line.

Also, I'm just happy to see a satelite script that someone's still supporting. I can only speak for myself, but I enjoy it...even with the message log spam. :lol:

-Eidolon

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Fri, 13. Jan 06, 12:21

Has anyone tried to download this recently as tried about ten times and keep getting cant find server. I have had to reinstall everything and this is my only missing one.

Its ok now thanks to TycHouse as he has a link for it that works :)

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Tue, 17. Jan 06, 04:54

Hmm, ok, I found why the message is getting spammed, but I'm not sure of the cause. Basically, for 'ship synching' purposes, I keep a list of all the ships running the script. Any time the script is run on a new ship, it is added to the list. What is happening here is that the ship is being removed from the list, despite the fact the ship is still running the script.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to determine what causes that problem. I'll fiddle around with it some more and see if I can figure it out. Hopefully I can manage to trigger it locally some how and see why it's causing this problem.

Bh

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Wed, 18. Jan 06, 22:02

Ok, I've managed a somewhat kludgy (but functional) fix to the problem - if the ship gets removed from the list for any reason, it automatically re-adds itself the next time it accesses the list. So no more log spamming. Plus it should also help prevent duplication, as the duplication was coming from the fact that some ships were getting 'lost' from the list, so the rest didn't know what they were doing.

I've also included a German readme translated by CO. Dragon Corporation (thanks!).

Link from the first post.

Bh

TycHouse
x3tc

Post by TycHouse » Wed, 18. Jan 06, 22:55

updated my mirror site to v1.12
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.0GHz Processor
ASrock Extreme 3 R2.0 Motherboard
8Gb memory
2 x AMD HD7770 Graphics (Crossfire not enabled)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 06:18

Woohoo, I look forward to testing it out. I especially need it now that I've done the plot, and a lot of my satellites got destroyed in the Paranid sectors. I was contemplating dropping them manually, but your script does them so nice and perdy in the lil box, I was hoping to see the new version come out so soon.

Kakurate
x4

Post by Kakurate » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 07:18

Great plugin Bhruic!

Some future ideas you may want to try to add would be to allow the player to make a list of sectors for the ship to visit to lay its satilites.

Basicly, a new command set:
-> Add/Remove Sector to Deploy List
-> View Deploy List (sends log file)
-> Start Sector Deployment

This would be much more helpful for me as I use Station Manager to manage my trading and I dont want certain areas active.

Also, would you consider adding a package file usuable with Cycrow's Plugin Installer?

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 09:47

Has the latest version made the deploy ship more vulnerable as before my ship went for hours and hours but within 5 mins it got blown up :(

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 10:18

Trevelvis, don't tell me something like that. While your ship may have went for hours and hours in the last one, I know I lost a few. Though, I'm guessing it's probably just luck at any given moment within the sector. Sometimes my disco seems to be quick enough to get in and out without the pirates bugging it, and sometimes it goes in....and never comes back out :(

Kakurate
x4

Post by Kakurate » Thu, 19. Jan 06, 16:00

if you have problems with pirates, i'd recommend the camoflauge addon

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”