[X2] Game won't start (Steam version, Win 7 Pro)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Lotharian

[X2] Game won't start (Steam version, Win 7 Pro)

Post by Lotharian » Thu, 8. Oct 20, 15:06

Trying to play X2 for the first time, and it won't start. Details:

- X2 Steam version
- Already tried uninstall and fresh install. No apparent problems with installing it. I have verified the game files through steam.
- Hardware: Intel Core i5-4590, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB DDR3 RAM, main drive is a 525GB SSD

Starting it, nothing appears to happen (though the mouse periodically and repeatedly gets the "spinning wheel" icon.) I've waited for a long time and it doesn't change. Steam lists it as running, and X2.exe appears in the Processes list, however nothing appears in the Applications list. Clicking the Stop button in steam does nothing. I can end the X2.exe process in task manager, but after that, trying to relaunch gives an error that it's already running. I have tried turning off real time virus protection (Avira) with no effect.

It seems like the program is getting stopped by something it can't deal with, which to me feels like maybe a directx or dot.net or similar issue? But I REALLY don't want to start reinstalling all my directx and similar things just for this game, unless I have reason to think it will help. X3 and even X:BTF work fine without any issues.

I don't need to manually install the sequence of patches for the game, if I have the Steam version? Right?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: [X2] Game won't start (Steam version, Win 7 Pro)

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 9. Oct 20, 21:38

Lotharian wrote:
Thu, 8. Oct 20, 15:06
I don't need to manually install the sequence of patches for the game, if I have the Steam version? Right?
No, you don't.

What you could still try is downloading and extracting the 1.4 -> 1.5 patch to an empty folder, copying the X2.exe to your game folder and trying to start the game with it. If it works, then this points to a problem with Steam rather than with the game installation itself.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Lotharian

Post by Lotharian » Sat, 10. Oct 20, 17:23

Thanks! This got the launcher to open at least, and I didn't take it further. I notice that the patch file includes more than just the exe. Should I really try to play the game like this? Seems like there would be incompatibility issues.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 10. Oct 20, 20:05

As X2 said, you only move the x2.exe file into your game directory and then try launching from that. You leave the other files from the patch in the non-game folder you loaded it into and where they have no influence on the Steam game.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Lotharian

Post by Lotharian » Sat, 10. Oct 20, 21:18

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 10. Oct 20, 20:05
As X2 said, you only move the x2.exe file into your game directory and then try launching from that. You leave the other files from the patch in the non-game folder you loaded it into and where they have no influence on the Steam game.
I just thought since the exe was distributed with the other patch files, they might require each other. I guess I'll try it later as you described.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”