X-BTF on virtual box Error Opening video

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

daifuco
x4

X-BTF on virtual box Error Opening video

Post by daifuco » Sun, 19. Jul 20, 12:48

Hi. I am quite impressed at how well linux gaming works now. So I am happy to switch.

Sadly X-BTF is one of the few games that dont work well with Proton, so I decided to install it on Windows 7 running on a virtual machine (virtual box).
If I dont install the Direct3D from oracle I get normally a black screen.
If I install the 3d drivers I get a "Error opening video Check your display settings!!!"
I really dont know how to move from there.
I installed some random 3d bechmark "Furmark" And it could render the 3d demo perfectly fine. But it was a opengl, I think.

I installed Win 7 because Im not sure that XP or earlier OS would work with current steam client.
If any dev ever read this... It would be nice if you tweak the original games to make them Proton friendly!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X-BTF on virtual box Error Opening video

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 19. Jul 20, 13:53

Make sure that you have a full DirectX 9.0c available to the game as the early X games used DirectShow from the XP era. Also do not expect surroundsound to work properly; stereo or quadraphonic layout should work. OpenGL, OpenAL, Vulkan etc were not the standards then. The Windows Media Player codecs will be needed too.

Also note this thread if not seen already.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”