X2 background music sound low quality

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmyjamjohnson42
x4

X2 background music sound low quality

Post by Jimmyjamjohnson42 » Mon, 17. Feb 20, 17:56

My problem is when i play x2 and it has really low quality background music. I dont know what's causing it as i've tried FFDShow and CCCP settings and they don't make any sort of difference at all. I've been trying to pinpoint it but it just seems impossible! :evil:
I play X2 a lot, possibly too much.
800 hours and counting :P

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X2 background music sound low quality

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 17. Feb 20, 18:25

This issue only seems to affect a very few players and FFDshow and CCCP codec packs are the most usual suspects. You need to be sure that you have disabled FFDshow for the X2.exe & folder and/or, even better, have totally and cleanly uninstalled the applications (usually unwanted free or disk-bundled 3rd party media players) and codec packs (such as k-lite or CCCP) that installed those usually unwanted codecs in the first place.

If thoroughly sorting out the codecs does not help in your case, one thing that you can do is to use a downloaded freeware converter to change the in-game music files from .mp3 to .wma format. (Backup the mp3 files first in case of problems or mistakes.) That conversion has helped some posters with music replay quality issues.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Jimmyjamjohnson42
x4

Post by Jimmyjamjohnson42 » Mon, 17. Feb 20, 19:25

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 17. Feb 20, 18:25
This issue only seems to affect a very few players and FFDshow and CCCP codec packs are the most usual suspects. You need to be sure that you have disabled FFDshow for the X2.exe & folder and/or, even better, have totally and cleanly uninstalled the applications (usually unwanted free or disk-bundled 3rd party media players) and codec packs (such as k-lite or CCCP) that installed those usually unwanted codecs in the first place.

If thoroughly sorting out the codecs does not help in your case, one thing that you can do is to use a downloaded freeware converter to change the in-game music files from .mp3 to .wma format. (Backup the mp3 files first in case of problems or mistakes.) That conversion has helped some posters with music replay quality issues.
I have tried that in the past and they never worked
I've uninstalled both programs and they made no difference.
What is the freeware called? i think this'll work this time

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 17. Feb 20, 19:53

Just Google 'mp3 to wma converter' and take your pick. You should avoid any that require registration or further identification details to avoid getting subsequent spam though.

Jimmyjamjohnson42
x4

Post by Jimmyjamjohnson42 » Fri, 8. May 20, 13:49

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 17. Feb 20, 19:53
Just Google 'mp3 to wma converter' and take your pick. You should avoid any that require registration or further identification details to avoid getting subsequent spam though.
Apologies for reviving this post but ive converted them and they sound a little bit compressed even with no changes to the mp3 files. All of the xbtf music sounds terrible and compressed now but the XT and X2 music sound fine with a lot less compression. i have no clue what to do with this so im just asking for help at this point

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 8. May 20, 14:30

I'm afraid you are somewhere well before my X game experience and knowledge now. Sorry.

Obviously you can revert the XBtF music to your mp3 backup made before conversion if that is better than the converted wma.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”