[X2] Game not using Nvidia GPU

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Pagio
xr

[X2] Game not using Nvidia GPU

Post by Pagio » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 14:17

Hi everyone! :D

I have X2 both Steam edition and cd-retail. I already selected the Nvidia Graphic Processor in the driver settings (global and programm specified options) and to start the game I use right clcik>use nvidia graphic processor. And yet the game uses the intel integrated graphics (I can tell by the dynamic nvidia Icon persistently off in the tray bar and by the fact that in the game's graphics settings it says "intel hd graphics family"). Both Steam and Retail. Usually I don't care as long as the game plays but I can't use shadows and antialias and it gets frustrating after a while. Is there any configuration file in X2 folder that I must change or am I doomed to use the integrated forever? Thanks in advance

My specs are:
Win 8.1 x64
Intel i5 4210U@ 2.4GhZ
Nvidia GT840M with 4GB vram
8GB Ram

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 17:25

If I recall correctly it is your system that needs to be set up to use the gpu for particular exe files, and not a function of the game to choose. I think there was a very similar thread before - let me look. Yes, here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Pagio
xr

Post by Pagio » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 20:12

Already searched and already did. I'm not a total noob. And yet it uses the intel instead of the nvidia

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Dec 14, 14:03

OK, then you need to find the reason/solution on your system as it is not driven by anything in the game code. I would try your system manufacturer's support FAQs for starters.

One thing that does occur to me is that maybe the system is not recognising the game exe as the one to manage properly if you are going through the Steam launcher and its redirects rather than clicking an exe file - that might be worth checking out. Also running an application 'as Admin' is sometimes needed for special set-ups to be effective. This is all sheer guesswork though as only you have any details of your system. :wink:

Pagio
xr

Post by Pagio » Tue, 23. Dec 14, 19:18

Tried both running as admin and running the .exe in the folder. Also selecting the nvidia gpu. Nothing

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Dec 14, 21:29

The last wild guess I can make from this end is that just maybe your system does not feel that X2 taxes the system graphics sufficiently for the OS/BIOS to switch to using the card instead of the chipset. It is a rather old game now and is cpu- rather than gpu-heavy. Also you need to be 100% certain that the card is not being used in-game; it can sometimes be quite deceptive to tell.

As I said above, only you know anything about your system and set-up at the moment. :wink:

webik
xr

Same

Post by webik » Tue, 7. Apr 15, 23:00

Hey! I just wanted to post a new thread when I saw this. I have exactly the same problem. I have Acer Aspire V15 nitro, which has intel integrated graphics and nvidia gtx 860m.

For some reason, I only see intel graphics in the "Direct 3D device". And yes, I have set NVIDIA to ALWAYS use the 860m. I've browsed the net, but nothing helped. Tried running the game, and the nvidia gpu activity monitor says that nothing currently uses the gpu...

Help? I get around 40FPS and it's really not pretty.

Also, yes, other games use the 860m like they should.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 8. Apr 15, 11:57

Try seeing what can be set up as your graphics defaults in BIOS - that is the best I can suggest when I don't have system info.

webik
xr

Post by webik » Thu, 9. Apr 15, 10:06

K. Gonna have to write more:

First answer to your question: I don't know, BUT that's because my laptop has some s***** InsydeH20 bios, which has like 0 options (basically only boot)...

My specs:
Acer Aspire VN7-591G
Intel Core i7-4710HQ (8CPUs) @ 2.50GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
Intel HD Graphics 4600

I have tried "run with graphics processor" but that didn't work either. I have also just tried uninstalling all nvidia drivers, restarting, and then installing with clean installation.
Now I'm going to try to boot in legacy mode. Hopefully I'll get some more options in the BIOS.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Apr 15, 11:44

This might help with the BIOS. Naturally this is untested by myself so proceed at your own risk!

webik
xr

Post by webik » Thu, 9. Apr 15, 12:40

... I guess I will stick to 40FPS.... :(. I've done some modding before, but that was stuff like PSP, and not 1K NTB.

Thanks anyway.

Freemana3132

Re: [X2] Game not using Nvidia GPU

Post by Freemana3132 » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 00:24

I am running an HP Pavillion Laptop 15 with Intel Core i7 (12th Gen) and (2) Graphics Cards (NVIDIA MX550 and Intel Iris Xe Graphics Card). This is my newer Laptop, and I also have an older HP Pavilion running Intel Core i7 (8th Gen) with (2) Graphics Cards (NVIDIA MX250 and Intel UHD Graphics 620). Like yours, all my games play fine on the old computer. On the new one, I do run into issues. Through my own testing, I have found that the issue lies with the Intel Iris Xe Graphics Card. I have updated all drivers including the Intel Iris Xe Graphics Card (Driver Version 30.0.101.1660 released 3/18/2022) on the new Laptop. The only work-around that I know of to allow all games to play without issue, is to disable the Intel Iris Xe Graphics Card. I presume that this could eventually be fixed, if Intel releases an updated driver that addresses the problem. Until then, my work-around seems to be the only option.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”