X2 Makes my saves "Modified"

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Hunter1985
x4

X2 Makes my saves "Modified"

Post by Hunter1985 » Mon, 28. Jul 14, 20:14

Hello I got this save from 2010 that I mastered on my X2 Retail Version that isn't modified. But for some reason on the Steam Version, when I load and save this .sav file it becomes modified for some odd reason. I am using a new PC with Windows 7 64-Bit Pro as I've moved on from my old WinXP as well moved onto the X-SuperBox series.

I don't know if this Steam Version can actually mess up my .sav but I didn't install any mods or use Script Editor. But I did use it on seperate saves on my laptop and maybe added some from the Station Autosaves.

Why is my "non-modified" save will become "modified" if I save it without using any mods or Script Editors? I did a clean installation and recovered the .sav files for safe keeping.

Could this be a flaw that my saves that started near the X2 v1.4 retail version would of made it modified on my Windows 7 Steam Version, or do I need to run x2.exe as Windows XP SP3 in Compatibility Option - plus as Admin?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 28. Jul 14, 20:50

Hello. Normally, incorrect modified flags are the result of your Antivirus doing real-time checking and subtly altering the files that they check when loaded into RAM from the disk. The saves on the disk are fine, but the file loaded into RAM may be different somehow after checking.

The other culprit with transferred saves is that the transfer application and memory stick, removable drive or CD etc that you use to transfer the save can use encryption, compression or just mess with the file status flags which may trigger the modified tag.

There was an issue once with a particular make of harddrive and its driver making vanilla saves show up as modified, but that was quite rare and a fair while ago I think.

Lastly the save could possibly have become corrupt in transit.

You can try compatibility mode and run as admin etc; you will do no harm in trying them.

To answer your query, Steam etc versions cannot make your saves modified. It is the signature of the save file as loaded into memory that is tested, and that does not depend on the source of exe running it. Of course if your game installation or its gamefiles are modified, corrupt or not correctly/sufficiently updated then that will set the modified flag whatever save is loaded. However you can test for that by doing a Steam verify of the gamefile cache for X2 and then starting a fresh gamestart and seeing if that game or a save from it are marked as modified.

Good luck with finding out what the problem is.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Hunter1985
x4

Post by Hunter1985 » Tue, 29. Jul 14, 00:21

Well I am loading some games on my External HDD drive (E: ) as my main Storage is a SSD (C: ) plus I got a RAM Disk to reserve the temp files and downloads in a F: drive as RAM Disk, while all my X2 saves are loading and installed in the E: drive. Maybe this could be the source of the Modify bug.

And this Anti-Virus Real-Time Protection...do you think my Malwarebytes Premium and Norton 360 installed in my PC may also mess up my normal .sav when I save it but turns into a modified .sav?

The .sav file hasn't appeared to be touched near 2010, according to the Save Date.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 29. Jul 14, 11:50

As I said the file on disk may not be the issue and as to your drive set-up, only you can check what specific drives and sources are having the problems.

You eliminate AV issues by going offline, switching any realtime checking options off (or maybe even disabling your AV totally) and then trying the game by load, test, save, load and test again. Remember to turn options or AV back on before going online again.

Have you verified the game and tried a new start before testing the game and a save for the modified flag in case of installation issues? Oh, and have you loaded the *same* X2 Bonus Pack and options selected in your new install as was there for the old saves?

Hunter1985
x4

Post by Hunter1985 » Tue, 29. Jul 14, 15:29

Well as far I can tell with this clean installation (with my saves still intact) and racking my brains, it appears playing it as Windows XP SP3 and as Admin on Compatibility options didn't do much. I even tried it in Offline mode with AV and MBAM Real-time Protection off.

It appears in after 20 seconds or a few seconds in SETA makes my Stats change from non-modified to modified for some reason. I don't think I used any X2 Bonus Pack stuff, unless I have as I had this save before I bought X-SuperBox with those Bonus Packages.

It doesn't appear making a new start makes my stats modified so far, but I don't know if it will stay non-modified for a few days.

It must be a problem with the save that may contain modifications or scripts but if this save isn't tagged as modified until after 20 seconds, how come that occurs? It doesn't quite make sense.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 29. Jul 14, 18:19

That is a strange issue. I can only guess that the game does not see the game as modified until a certain suspect script that is embedded in the save is called - hence the delay. As to finding out which script, I have no idea unless you can use some sort of routine monitoring application which sounds a bit time-consuming.

The X2 Bonus Pack (a couple of versions leading up to the latest) was available for download from Egosoft a very long time before the X SuperBox came along iirc.

I suspect that a new start will not go modified all on its own. It really depends how badly you want to keep those old saves and/or why you mind your game being tagged as modified.

Hunter1985
x4

Re: X2 Makes my saves "Modified"

Post by Hunter1985 » Sat, 14. Sep 19, 01:46

It looks like that recent update: X2 Bonus Pack 1.04 - that included some plugins or addons like the Fusion Injector Afterburner and some others caused my saves to become ***modified*** Damn! Well I really hope that won't happen for the future updates for the X-Trilogy...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/2800/a ... 5320292250

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X2 Makes my saves "Modified"

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 14. Sep 19, 16:33

"... recent update ..." [to X2 BP 1.04 Updated: 04/08/05]. Only 14 years ago recent! :lol:

The earlier posts should tell you that it isn't the BP making your saves 'modified'.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”