X³: Reunion - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

peem

Re: X³: Reunion - Linux support thread

Post by peem » Sun, 26. Jul 20, 18:57

Bump

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 26. Jul 20, 23:55

Please don't.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Unbekanntes Feindschiff
x4

Post by Unbekanntes Feindschiff » Thu, 6. Aug 20, 13:53

can confirm. The campaign makes the game segfault during the first mission on modern Linux distributions. After trying it multiple times (trying both the Steam and GOG version), it isn't a set thing at which the game crashes. Sometimes it crashes during the first Khaak battle, sometimes, sometimes when just fliying, but the game is guaranteed to crash when the second Khaak cluster jumps in (the one containing an M3). If you get that far and the game didn't crash on you beforehand, the game usually allows you to fight the cluster for a few seconds before crashing.

Non-campaign gamestarts work fine though
HGN

peem

Post by peem » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 00:54

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 26. Jul 20, 23:55
Please don't.
Please don't what ?

Don't try to get help ?

Sorry if I had broken any rules, but waited more than a month before trying to get attention to this tread, taking in account pandemic or holidays.

It is almost second month now and my question it's still unanswered.

Is X3 pretty much abandoned now ?

Regards,
Piotr

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Aug 20, 13:43

Please don't bump threads.

X3R is pretty much unsupported by the devs now and this forum is mainly used to seek advice from fellow players.

There is one Egosoft Linux expert dev and that is timon37. He is naturally quite heavily occupied in X4 work at the moment. Now that two players have reported similar X3R Linux issues, you could try a PM to him linking to your post and mentioning UF's one that follows it, but I suspect that timon's workload is already booked well into the future. Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

J_Darnley

Post by J_Darnley » Fri, 25. Sep 20, 10:56

I too was experiencing a repeatable crash in X3 Reunion during the first mission on Linux (mostly up-to-date Arch). I have the version from GOG. On a whim I decided to try replacing the bundled libraries in the lib/ and game/lib/ directories with packaged ones. Surprisingly that fixed the crash and I was able to finish that and eventually dock at a station so I could save after the mission.

I had to build ffmpeg 0.9.4 and GLEW 1.9.0 but all the rest are packaged. Fortunately I know ffmpeg and think it is easy and GLEW just needed a minor change to the lib32-glew PKGBUILD to build the old version. I renamed the two existing directories to lib.old and copied my newly built libavcodec.so.53 libavformat.so.53 libavutil.so.51 libGLEW.so.1.9 libswscale.so.2 into a new game/lib directory.

Now I can fly in space.

[EDIT] I spoke too soon. I now get a crash when loading that game.

organism

Post by organism » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 17:15

J_Darnley wrote:
Fri, 25. Sep 20, 10:56
I too was experiencing a repeatable crash in X3 Reunion during the first mission on Linux (mostly up-to-date Arch). I have the version from GOG.
...and everyone, who crashes during first mission!

rename or delete:

X3 Reunion/lib/
libstdc++.so.6.0.19
libstdc++.so.6
libxcb.so.1.1.0
libxcb.so.1
libXrandr.so.2.2.0
libXrandr.so.2

X3 Reunion/game/lib/
libopenal.so.1
libz.so.1

system libs wll be used, crashes will disappear