X³: Reunion - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 27. Oct 14, 11:02

pezz wrote:
timon37 wrote:@pezz
I dunno, I just expect something in Steam that says, before I buy it, "full controller support" to work.

The second stick doesn't work, and two trigger buttons aren't recognised.
Reunion (and TC) don't have "full controller support" only AP has it. Which one are you playing? Though the second stick should work in all of them, or at least it should be possible to configure it with the "Input Device" config dialog.

SDL provides very little info, basically the name of the joystick and the number of axes and buttons it has.
So I had to do the whole universal remapping-scaling-inverting config-dialog, since I can't create presets for more than one or three devices.
Currently there's only a preset for the real xbox controller, and a default which works for most 4-axis joysticks (or so I hope).

Link6746
x3ap

Post by Link6746 » Wed, 12. Nov 14, 09:19

I am using X3 TC for steam, and every time the game is launched with "primusrun %command%" from steam, it launches, then before the launcher appears it quits the launcher.

Launching from steam without the primusrun prefix works perfectly.

Okay, launching both with primusrun, I get the following:

$ primusrun X3TC_config
/usr/bin/primusrun: line 52: exec: X3TC_config: not found

$ primusrun X3TC_main
/usr/bin/primusrun: line 52: exec: X3TC_main: not found

A different error without
$ X3TC_config
X3TC_config: command not found

$ X3TC_main
X3TC_main: command not found

However,

The game for me is installed at: "~/.SteamLibrary/common/X3 Terran Conflict"

Maybe the issue is with custom install locations?
Last edited by Link6746 on Thu, 13. Nov 14, 00:21, edited 3 times in total.
--Games Owned--

+X2 via Steam
+X3 via Steam
+X3TC via Steam
+X3AP via Steam

--contact info--
Steam account name: Link6746
(Sorry, but that's all I'm posting)

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 12. Nov 14, 10:12

Link6746 wrote:I am using X3 TC for steam, and every time the game is launched with "primusrun %command%" from steam, it launches, then before the launcher appears it quits the launcher.
Can you try launching the game manually from console with and without primusrun?
X3TC_config is the launcher, X3TC_main will directly launch the game.
If you installed to the default location it'll be in ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/X3 Terran Conflict

Link6746
x3ap

Post by Link6746 » Sun, 16. Nov 14, 04:54

Updated original post with details of console/terminal attempts.
--Games Owned--

+X2 via Steam
+X3 via Steam
+X3TC via Steam
+X3AP via Steam

--contact info--
Steam account name: Link6746
(Sorry, but that's all I'm posting)

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Thu, 1. Jan 15, 06:40

First of all, thank you for producing such an awesome game and porting it to Linux for us :D (and a proper one at that, not some horrible Wine-wrapped steamy bundle and calling it a port like some developers! Can't believe I bought The Witcher 2 before realising that). I've bought X3R, TC and AP from Steam, it's gonna take a while to work through all of them!

Unfortunately I'm plagued by random crashes :(. Sometimes it'll crash the moment I finish loading a save game, other times it'll run for hours before dying, and anything in between. No particular action seems to trigger the crash that I can tell, so I can't reproduce reliably beyond just playing it until it does. I haven't been able to find much in the way of potential fixes from Googling around, beyond switching off Glow in the graphics settings, and disabling the Steam overlay (neither of which worked), so I found this thread and thought I'd add my voice here.

I've uploaded a core dump (about 800MB raw, 219MB compressed) here, test_log is empty, and nothing of use in the terminal unfortunately beyond

Code: Select all

./testandlaunch: line 31: 27305 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./$1
This is running the latest X3R beta BTW, running 64bit Fedora 21, Nvidia drivers. Hopefully the core dump is useful somehow :) in the meantime, at least having autosave at stations active saves me from losing too much gametime when crashes happen.

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Sun, 4. Jan 15, 10:09

I'm afraid I'm getting the same crashes in TC as well :(. Uploaded another core dump here.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 27. Jan 15, 14:37

@Link6746
On linux to launch something that isn't visible through the PATH environment variable you need to give an absolute or relative path.
So try:
./X3TC_main
and
primusrun ./X3TC_main

Of course do that from the game folder so first do:
cd "~/.SteamLibrary/common/X3 Terran Conflict"
or
cd ~/.SteamLibrary/common/X3\ Terran\ Conflict

@ColonelPanic
Ok downloading and I'll see what I can conclude.
Can you also try running just ./X3TC_main from the console and uploading the last 500 lines output?
You'll see a bunch of weird/scary messages so don't be surprised.
Normally all of them are harmless and unfortunately useless but sometimes there's something helpful.

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Sat, 7. Feb 15, 15:46

timon37 wrote:@ColonelPanic
Ok downloading and I'll see what I can conclude.
Can you also try running just ./X3TC_main from the console and uploading the last 500 lines output?
You'll see a bunch of weird/scary messages so don't be surprised.
Normally all of them are harmless and unfortunately useless but sometimes there's something helpful.
I've uploaded the output of X3TC_main here. I didn't cut the output to 500 lines, just in case any of it was useful (and there are a TON of lines which are close to the same thing so they fill up most of the log), but TC only lasts a couple of minutes before crashing out so there's only about 2500 lines there anyway. Hopefully you can find something useful :).

jug007
x4

Re: Cant play X3 after reinstall Linux Mint

Post by jug007 » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 16:30

rasper wrote:I've reinstalled Linux Mint to latest release (17).
And now cant play X3 Terran Conflict from Steam.
I think I need to install some additional packets, but don't know what I need.

When I start game I see:
[ external image ]
I cant tune graphics:
[ external image ]

Could anybody help me?
I have the same problem with X3 reunion. Starting the config manually works fine.
OS Linux Mint 17.1
Nvidia proprietary 331.113

EDIT: when running "./test_X3R_config > test_log 2" inside steam it shows quite some errors. it doesnt do that when running directly
http://pastebin.com/ui7i2BPh
EDIT2: since the log shows how it could not decode the svg files properly i tried another gtk theme which is a little older and it works.
Also i am using the cinnamon version of linux mint and the bugged theme is Mint-X. The working one is Adwaita. These themes are for buttons and things like that. Not icon themes.

jug007
x4

Post by jug007 » Tue, 17. Feb 15, 15:51

Could somebody tell me how to make the mouse pointer slower?
X3 Reunion makes the cursor REALLY fast which makes aiming almost impossible even with fighting software. I tried configuring the xinput, but this does not have any effect on the game. The setting takes effect on other steam games though.

Greeting jug007

jug007
x4

Post by jug007 » Fri, 13. Mar 15, 12:51

Would you guys at least tell us why you take so long to reply?
I bought the game on a whim, now its on sale and i still cannot play it.

Greeting jug007

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Fri, 13. Mar 15, 13:32

@jug007 sorry I actually tried replying two times but there's this annoying forum bug where sometimes you can't post. Later I had way too much on my hands.

Regarding the mouse speed I honestly have no clue, we're just using SDL2 so we aren't doing anything special. I don't think there is any in-game sensitivity setting so I'd have to implement something custom.
Can you try running in windowed and fullscreen mode to see if it changes anything?

jug007
x4

Post by jug007 » Fri, 13. Mar 15, 14:07

Window mode actually makes the cursor slower and smoother in menu. (moves just as on my desktop)
Ingame (when piloting) the cursor is quite "stuttery" again. I didn't notice any difference between fullscreen and windowed mode.

The movement seems obviously multiplied. When moving my mouse as low as possible, the crosshair moves ~5 pixel. On my desktop it only moves 1 pixel.

I also tried fiddling with sdl2 variables but this didn't help. Trying to use mouse accelleration with sdl (just for testing) also makes the crosshair move weard at higher speeds. It it looks like the speed of the crosshair drops at a certain point of speed, as if the game and the driver had different settings for acceleration.

The command I used for setting the mouse accelleration looks like this:

Code: Select all

SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=0 SDL_VIDEO_X11_MOUSEACCEL=6/1/0 ./X3R_config
Greetings jug007

Hetjo

Post by Hetjo » Mon, 16. Mar 15, 20:43

Hi

Bought X3 reunion on the steam sale this weekend. It crashes a lot unfortunately. Most of the crashes have had this log message:

======================================
/home/steam/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/X3 - Reunion/testandlaunch: line 31: 20938 Floating point exception./$1
Game removed: AppID 2810 "X3: Reunion", ProcID 20938

If typically happens when cycling through ships/stations with the mouse wheel.

CPU: Intel Haswell
GFX: Nvidia 670 with 340.76 drivers.

Game version: The on steam of March 16, 2015.

Occasionally, it will crash if hitting escape during a mission overview movie. But I can just let it run, but it would be nice to be able to skip it.

Further stuff from the log:

WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_02_diff, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_02_bump, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_02_spec, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_02_light, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_03_diff, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_03_bump, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_03_spec, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M3_03_light, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_M5_glass_diff, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_m4_02_diff, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_m4_02_bump, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_m4_02_spec, using dummy texture
WARNING: Unable to load texture textures\C:\Documents and Settings\Markus.EGOSOFT\Desktop\New Folder (4)\old_shiptex\unique_argon_m4_02_light, using dummy texture

Since this is Linux that path is definitely wrong :-). It is probably a hardcoded path somewhere (and likely not critical).

Similarly, there are some other path issue:

SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440003.xml
SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440003.xml
SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440004.xml
SE_ReadFile: Can't load file t/440004.xml
SE_ReadFile: Can't load file types\fonts.txt
movloadmovie success: reply=1 (1 / 7697092)

And occasionally stuff like this:

PROGRAM: 1 0xa BaseNormalShip: compiled
PROGRAM: 5 0x8 Asteroid: compiled
#-19531(2012)[01c11c]2012.KilledBy Function GetSize in undefined object -19079 called!
PROGRAM: 1 0x10 BaseNormalShip: compiled

Thanks for any help.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 17. Mar 15, 11:33

@jug007

Just had a thought, you're just using a normal mouse connected directly to the machine right?
If you're using synergy or other keyboard/mouse sharing software, it won't work.
No idea why but when sdl2 grabs the mouse the movement goes crazy.

jug007
x4

Post by jug007 » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 21:39

I use a logitech mouse with unify, so I tried a non unify mouse and the effect is still the same. The game is more playable with this mouse but thats just because of the friction. The movement ingame is still quite fast.

It might also be of interest that slowing the mouse via xinput does not work normally. It dies seem a little bit slower, but not as slow as it should be. When dividing mouse movement with 70 the movement ingame still locks like only halved.

dv.underworld
xr

X3R Linux - final mission - Paranid Crystal Splitter Fab moved to Earth trouble

Post by dv.underworld » Thu, 26. Mar 15, 12:36

Hi,

I'm running:
- Arch Linux (currently 3.14.36 LTS kernel, always updating the system)
- VGA: Radeon HD 6670
- using the AMD Catalyst driver https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst

X3 Reunion purchased & installed via Steam client.
So far the game was running fine, very occasionally some crash back to desktop, which I could live with.

Recently I decided to finish the main storyline in the game, where I noticed a strange thing in so called tunnels:
- "Pleasure Complex" tunnel in "Teladi Gain" - http://www.argonopedia.org/wiki/Reunion#Find_the_Girl
or
- asteroid tunnel in "Nyana's Hideout" - http://www.argonopedia.org/wiki/Reunion ... _Revisited
Where I found myself in quite a distance and in a blank/dark space far from those tunnels.
I could manage those two, simply by flying to them, and entering the tunnels on their ends.
And also I didn't cared much that time about this small tunnel issue, that I was placed far away from it.

But now I'm at the final mission "Proof of Innocence":
- tunnel to Earth in "Heretics End" - http://www.argonopedia.org/wiki/Reunion ... _Innocence
I finished fighting with the Kha'aks, and the story continues, where the "Paranid Crystal Splitter Fab" (screenshot: http://www.ulozto.net/xmyNzdvo/x3r-linu ... ble-01-jpg) is suddenly being moved by the Sargon being to the formed tunnel (ending at Earth).
And I have the same tunnel issue (myself placed very far from the tunnel itself in blank/dark space), but this time there is a time limit for the action.
I can also target the tunnel, and at various game loads it shows different distance (50-150km).
Screenshot: http://www.ulozto.net/xDvNo3bD/x3r-linu ... ble-02-jpg # (that soft blue line in distance of the screenshot is that jump tunnel I'm supposed to be in).
And especially this time limit is making it impossible to reach the tunnel in time and finish the mission/game.

May I ask for your assistance, advice & help with this problem, please?

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 31. Mar 15, 11:47

@dv.underworld

Can you send me a savegame (email in first post)?

dv.underworld
xr

Post by dv.underworld » Tue, 31. Mar 15, 14:46

timon37 wrote:@dv.underworld

Can you send me a savegame (email in first post)?
Sure, but even after compressing it, it's still 12.5MB large, too big for email, I think.
But here you go: http://ulozto.net/xE4nFA87/x04-sav

Thank you.

kumita
x3

X3: Albion Prelude on Steam

Post by kumita » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 03:34

I just purchased the X3 Gold 2011 - X3TC and X3AP and X3R Bundle Retail from Steam. I can't play the game at any length without it crashing. At first when pushing the period button the game would go away, and I would have to start it again. Now the game graphics just partially go away a bit after being docked, can't make anything out. And at one time the game performance started to visibly go away, jerky and slow.

How can I get help so I can play the game?

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”