X³: Reunion - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Fri, 25. Jan 13, 18:59

Please attach savegames for almost any issue, it'll help a lot. In case you can't or don't want to include it in the forum post, my email address is: tim13on ( on ) egosoft.com, of course remove the 13 and ( on ) is @ (hope not many spam bots figure that out);p

If textures are broken (red green blue stripes):
You are running open-source drivers without support for texture compression.
If you have an AMD/ATI or NVIDIA graphics card you can install the proprietary drivers which should also result in improved performance.
If you are running Intel graphics or wish to use open-source drivers you will have to install libtxc-dxtn.

Ubuntu: you should get a prompt to install the library, if not report a bug and either:
search for libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 in the "ubuntu software center",
or open a terminal and type in: "sudo apt-get install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0" when prompted enter your password and follow any later instructions
Mint/Debian: probably same as ubuntu (the terminal instructions)
Fedora: not sure yet
SUSE: Install this: http://packman.links2linux.de/package/libtxc_dxtn
Arch: not sure but on 32bit I think "sudo pacman -S community/libtxc_dxtn" on 64bit you probably need to add some repository sources and do "sudo pacman -S multilib/lib32-libtxc_dxtn"
Gentoo: "sudo emerge media-libs/libtxc_dxtn"

Generic information:
Especially at first it is advised to run in windowed mode.
If the game crashes in fullscreen mode it's possible that it'll leave the desktop in a lower resolution mode.

Savegames are by default stored in a hidden folder ".config/EgoSoft/X3/save/" in your home directory as X00.sav, X01.sav etc.
Windows savegames should be two-way compatible and shouldn't be flagged as "modified", if there are any issues please report a bug.

Additional shortcuts:
  • ctrl+g toggles cursor grabbing in windowed mode
  • ctrl+c tries to kill the game a.s.a.p.
Joystick setup:
X3R supports up to 6 axes, you can set which of your actual joystick axes are mapped to which internal X3R axes in the input config dialog (before starting the game). You can also see the resulting current state of the given axis.
To disable an axis set the "Source/Disable:" to -1.
To invert an axis set the scale to -1, if you set scale to e.g. -1.2 or 1.2 it will "saturate" it by 20% (it will reach minimum/maximum value before the physical movement limit).
The throttle axis is special and should be used for "slider" controls (those that don't center automatically).

You can map the actual function of each internal X3R axis inside the game's control settings (start a new game or load a save, in flight press escape or if docked select options, select "Controls", select second tab "Controls").
The deadzone is also set in the in-game settings menu.

Certain joysticks may have a hand sensor that will confuse the game and result in very fast keyrepeat and menu navigation.
To disable the button you can enter the "Input Device" config dialog and press "Remap buttons".
Any button name in red is currently pressed, locate those that are constantly red or red when you hold the joystick and either set "Button:" to -1 or click Assign and then press Delete.
If the button number is higher than 15 you'll have to edit the configuration file in "~/.config/EgoSoft/X3R/config.yaml"
and set "Joy Button<button number> Src' to '-1'.

If the game doesn't detect your joystick and you have /dev/input/js0 when you plug in your joystick but no /dev/js0 then try this:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s input/js0 /dev/js0
Known issues and missing features (in rough order of fixing priority):
  • Issue: Blurred in-game text with 16xAA on nvidia binary drivers
  • Issue: Darker buildings on ground in 2nd plot mission
  • Issue: Main menu envmap looks different
  • Issue: Config file is saved on quit, which can be annoying when testing.
    Postponed: It unfortunately has to, at least for now.
Bugreporting:
There's lots of console output that may look bad, in general don't worry or report it unless you get a crash or I asked for it.

If you notice any graphical anomalies, please (if you can) first try to confirm that they don't happen on windows, take screenshots (the windows ones may appear transparent, but are correct, so attach them anyway), confirm on which shaders it happens, and report it so others can confirm or disprove it on other drivers and distros. If possible attach a savegame as close as possible to the offending situation/cutscene.

Aproximate minimum requirements and advised drivers/settings:
I'm affraid you're gathering them right now, though don't report any yet, at first we're focusing on bugs.

For now these are:
CPU: No idea
Ram: >= 3gb Though it consumes on average around 0.8-1.2gb, so 2gb might be enough if you're not running too much in the background.
HDD: The install size is around 4.5GB

GPU: These are the currently tested configs:
  • Radeon 5450, recomended proprietary drivers, mesa is too slow to be playable
  • Radeon 4850, worked reasonably well with mesa-9.0.1
  • Intel i7-2620M, works with mesa >= 8.0.4
Build history:
2015-03-30 1:30 UTC - Build 32:
- Fixed crash on undocking
- Fixed missile trails

2014-10-10 14:30 UTC - Build 31:
- Partially decreased stutter (at the cost of longer initial game start)

2013-09-28 23:30 UTC - Build 30:
- Fixed a few graphical lightning and reflection blur inconsistencies
- Significant performance improvements on intel and amd drivers (I've seen between 10-40%)

2013-09-10 12:30 UTC - Build 29:
- Fixed bug in missile changing gui (could cause crashes on some drivers)
- Fixed compatibility with newer SDL2 and updated it to the official release
- Fixed cursor image being offset to right from actual click point
- Improved glow performance, about 2-8% more fps

2013-07-29 10:05 UTC - Build 28:
- Fixed texture corruption on AMD (hopefully)
- Fixed video seeking (bug with wrong portraits being shown)
- Alt+enter for windowed/fullscreen transition
- Better automatic mouse grabbing/ungrabbing in windowed mode

2013-07-21 13:30 UTC - Build 27: (yes 23-26 wasn't released)
- Various performance improvements (most notably on nvidia)
- Fixed doppler effect
- Improved launch and load time

2013-06-30 19:10 UTC - Build 22:
- ;)
- AMD catalyst 13.6 crash workaround

2013-06-28 15:05 UTC - Build 21:
- Performance improvement by up to 14% (especially on intel's graphics)
- Various improvements to config dialogs

2013-06-26 22:45 UTC - Build 20: Major shader refactor, if you notice any other changes or something you think is wrong, don't hesitate to tell me
- Less specular asteroids

2013-05-28 11:30 UTC - Build 19:
- Fixed ship shaking when not all that far from sector center
- Fixed mesa 8.0 compatibility on intel graphics
- Fixed fps counter appearing from nowhere

2013-05-11 18:45 UTC - Build 18:
- Fixed striped asteroids

2013-05-11 14:30 UTC - Build 17:
- Load time reduced by 50%
- Fixed garbage in main menu on amd catalyst
- Fixed the terrible 1-3sec hangs on amd catalyst

2013-05-02 14:10 UTC - Build 16:
- Fixed joystick hat
- Fixed player stats signing
- Partial blurring fix for nvidia+16xAA
- (Possibly fixes a few other issues)

2013-04-12 15:15 UTC - Build 15:
- Fixed excesive ship shaking when hit by guns

2013-04-03 17:45 UTC - Build 14:
- Fixed memory leak in new game menu (and probably other in-game situations)
- Fixed crash on shift+scroll (however shift+scroll is unusable which is the same on windows atm)
- Improved boron shader (should be closer to what it looks like on windows)
- Better "unknown object" rendering

2013-02-27 20:55 UTC - Build 13.3:
- Fixed wrong libGLEW

2013-02-27 17:45 UTC - Build 13.2:
- Fixed "unknown object" crash and rendering
- Fixed performance regression from 13.1

2013-02-27 11:55 UTC - Build 13.1:
- Fixed "glowing ghost ships" on new version
- Included x3_bonus_package_3.1.07.tar.bz2 in game folder (temporary measure before a proper solution), to activate the bonus pack you must unpack it into the main game folder (overwrites some files).

2013-02-26 12:50 UTC - Build 13:
- Memory usage cut in half
- Fixed 1-4second lag on first video view (usually when opening a menu)
- Minor config dialog improvements
- Rewrote shaders/opengl setup
- Two new temporary config file options: Frame Finish, Hack FPS Replace Text
- Includes older build (this one also has the memory fix)

2013-02-09 13:15 UTC - New build:
- Switched to sdl2
- Keymap independent shortcuts
- Monitor selection in graphics config dialog
- Fullscreen and input grabbing differences (probably not all for the better)

2013-02-04 16:50 UTC - New build:
- Input config dialog crash
- Config dialog theme (it can still revert to the "ugly theme", but shouldn't be "unreadable dark text without button frames")

2013-02-04 15:10 UTC - New build:
- Last cutscene crash fix
- Audio volume changing fixed (when changing music from 0% you'll have to wait for a bgm change for it to work).
- Weird sounds fixed
- In-game joystick sensitivity setting should work now
- Recent steam library issues
- Screenshots (default shortcut F9)

2013-02-01 16:00 UTC - New build:
- Joystick axis remapping, inverting, scaling, deadzones. For instructions look below in Generic information: Joystick setup.

2013-01-31 12:55 UTC - New build:
- Reservoir of Tranquility skybox fix
- Fixed stuck keys/buttons, or at least I can't make it happen, if it still happens please report. Note: duplicated keys on text input still happen.
- Minor joystick axis/hat fix (proper remapping coming soon, though probably not today)

2013-01-29 12:47 UTC - New build:
- some input refactoring (you might notice less latency)
- fixed shift+key commands (those actually worked, they were just displayed wrong)
- fix mouse buttons getting stuck in certain situations

2013-01-29 0:12 UTC - New build:
- another simple crash fix
- fix mouse scroll wheel bleeding into other mouse buttons

2013-01-28 1:52 UTC - New build:
- fixed joystick selection/disabling in input config dialog, and removed some obsolete options (those are configurable in-game)
- redirected stderr to stdout to hopefully avoid huge logs, everyone check your ~/.xsession-errors files and delete them if they are huge
- removed input printfs

2013-01-27 1:25 UTC - New build:
- fixes assert crash in when meeting Tony Marani in Farnhams Legend.
- config dialog improvemnts, though don't report bad/missing translations yet, only functional ones (the "input device" list is still broken).
- added some input printfs.
Last edited by timon37 on Mon, 29. Jun 15, 09:27, edited 46 times in total.

Somnus
x4

Post by Somnus » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 02:33

OMG it's really true! Thank you so much! This is amazing. I can't wait for the TC/AP ports too!

CoastlandCork
x3tc

Post by CoastlandCork » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 03:00

OK, here we go :

1. no keys are working for me in-game. so i was just drifting in space after the start and was unable to close the first message. your debug keys and pause seems to work though.

2. my joystick (t16000m - standard usb hid) isn't recognized in the config program, although it works in-game. despite an inverted throttle, which i couldn't fix due to [1]

Arch 64bit
Kernel 3.7.4
language: german (also keyboard-layout)

btw, what are the needed dependencies, maybe I'm missing one?

edit: when using fullscreen, you should probably just use the primary screen by default

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 03:39

moebius218 wrote:OK, here we go :
1. no keys are working for me in-game. so i was just drifting in space after the start and was unable to close the first message. your debug keys and pause seems to work though.
Hmmm, quite strange, I had that at first when the game couldn't find the default control bindings in install_dir/profiles/default.xpf
Can you first confirm that a file with lots of numbers is there? (default install dir is ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/X3 - Reunion/ )
Also try running in windowed mode and see if that changes anything and test if the arrow keys and enter/escape work in the main menu.
And maybe try changing your keymap.
moebius218 wrote: 2. my joystick (t16000m - standard usb hid) isn't recognized in the config program, although it works in-game. despite an inverted throttle, which i couldn't fix due to [1]
That's one of the Known issues, I forgot to include, that part of the config dialog is a semi-stub right now. There'll probably be some remapping and additional options needed in it either way so it's a discussion topic for a bit later.
moebius218 wrote: Arch 64bit
Kernel 3.7.4
language: german (also keyboard-layout)

btw, what are the needed dependencies, maybe I'm missing one?
If you were missing any libraries to link you should get a terminal with an error message so you're probably not missing anything, unless there are some optional plugins for something, but I'm not aware of anything like that (apart from audio backends).
moebius218 wrote: edit: when using fullscreen, you should probably just use the primary screen by default
SDL handles this and the options are very limited. This will hopefully improve after switching to SDL-2.0.

CoastlandCork
x3tc

Post by CoastlandCork » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 04:34

good news: you're not to blame ;)

apparently it's a fault of the steam beta.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... issues/577

i copied the game directory from my windows install and as windows doesn't care about case-sensitivity, it works there.

SkyBon
x4

Post by SkyBon » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 04:51

Having text font blurred:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8243/blurd.png

Note more blur to the left than to the right.

Kubuntu 12.10 x86-64
KDE 4.9.4
NVIDIA 313

{Images posted to the forums should not be greater than 640x480, oversize image now linked - Terre}

sakuramboo
x4

Post by sakuramboo » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 07:04

While playing the main story line, game crashes when playing the cut scene when you reach Tony Marani about getting the crystal back in Farnhams Legend.

################
## FPS: 149.00
## BMP 8 (Render Init/Exit): total: 3.00 ms, average: 0.00 ms, percent: 0.30
## BMP 10 (Particles1): total: 2.00 ms, average: 0.01 ms, percent: 0.20
## BMP 11 (Particles2): total: 1.00 ms, average: 0.01 ms, percent: 0.10
## BMP 12 (Particles3): total: 1.00 ms, average: 0.00 ms, percent: 0.10
## BMP 13 (B3D_RapidCollisionCheck): total: 0.00 ms, average: 0.00 ms, percent: 0.00
## BMP 14 (MainEvents_SE_SFX_Movie_VO()): total: 66.00 ms, average: 0.44 ms, percent: 6.59
## BMP 15 (MainEvents_EO()): total: 6.00 ms, average: 0.04 ms, percent: 0.60
## BMP 16 (MainEvents_B3D()): total: 732.00 ms, average: 4.91 ms, percent: 73.13
## BMP 17 (MainEvents_J3D()): total: 65.00 ms, average: 0.44 ms, percent: 6.49
## BMP 18 (MainEvents_Rest): total: 5.00 ms, average: 0.03 ms, percent: 0.50
## BMP 19 (MainEvents_SA()): total: 54.00 ms, average: 0.36 ms, percent: 5.39
## BMP 20 (MainEvents_GameIn()): total: 26.00 ms, average: 0.17 ms, percent: 2.60
## BMP 21 (MainEvents_SE()): total: 87.00 ms, average: 0.58 ms, percent: 8.69
X3R_main: ../X3/X3/3dlib/sector.cpp:8018: ELONG SectorObject::O_StartInHangar(SectorObject*, ELONG): Assertion `hangarobj->O_IsHangar()' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
EDIT: Forgot to mention, Ubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit, nVidia 560ti. It's also repeatable, so if there is anything else you need, I can reproduce the crash.

Trimz
x3tc

Happiness is mine!

Post by Trimz » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 07:36

I cannot describe how happy I am that you've released a Linux version of your game.

Much love Egosoft, you guys rock! :)
"For every part of me that is not; there is a part that is." - The Unknown Artist.

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 11:33

fglrx-13.1, Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970]. x86_64, running with SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa. All high, FSAAx2, Anisotropic x2.

1. After starting the game it shows "X3: reunion" loading screen and then black screen for few seconds until menu is loaded.
2. Game lags for a moment when new item is loading - model for item in shop or new face video sequence for comm.
3. After new game started it was blinking black few times in Argon Prime.
4. Maybe Ion Disruptor beam itself is not visible - ship effects are visible. But I'm not sure, I'm dying too fast.
5. I can't assign shortcut with shift/alt/ctrl modifiers - they are got caught as simple letter.
6. And yes, engine sounds are weird when they are not directed towards you. If you straight behind the ship - sound is normal. If you are just a little bit on side - it weirds out.

I haven't played X3 on windows, only on wine, so I can't tell it this is something linux-specific.

But, btw, great work! Runs smoothly most of times (except this model/whatever loadings), a lot of effects that were missing in wine (reflections!) and seems to be very stable - not crashed even once.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 13:15

SkyBon wrote:Having text font blurred:
Can you (or actually anyone else) confirm it does or doesn't happen on windows? Or with different hardware/drivers. Of course I'll test it sooner or later myself, but the more info I have the quicker I can work.

Also test if any antialiasing/anisotropic and nvidia-control-panel quality settings are influencing this.
sakuramboo wrote:While playing the main story line, game crashes when playing the cut scene when you reach Tony Marani about getting the crystal back in Farnhams Legend.
Please attach or send me a save game as close as possible to that point (it's early in the plot but that's still an hour lost). My email tim13on ( on ) egosoft.com, of course remove the 13 and ( on ) is @ (hope not many spam bots figure that out);p
Night Nord wrote:1. After starting the game it shows "X3: reunion" loading screen and then black screen for few seconds until menu is loaded.
2. Game lags for a moment when new item is loading - model for item in shop or new face video sequence for comm.
3. After new game started it was blinking black few times in Argon Prime.
4. Maybe Ion Disruptor beam itself is not visible - ship effects are visible. But I'm not sure, I'm dying too fast.
5. I can't assign shortcut with shift/alt/ctrl modifiers - they are got caught as simple letter.
6. And yes, engine sounds are weird when they are not directed towards you. If you straight behind the ship - sound is normal. If you are just a little bit on side - it weirds out.
1. Do you get any movie sequences at all? A swirling blue tunel in the huge X in main menu, or when you request to talk with a human on a station? Or just play a movie from the main menu. Which distro are you on? There's probably some incompatibility with ffmpeg, you can try removing these from install_dir/lib/libav* and libsw* and use the distro version (you'll need to install 32bit version of them).
2. Yeah it often happens on windows too but I think it's worse on linux. I'll work on this, sooner or later, for now focusing on crashes and errors
3. After the briefing I'm always seeing a delay with envmap rendering so at first everything is much brighter and then it turns darker is this what you're seeing or something different? Does the whole screen turn black or just models?
4. Hmm not sure myself (don't remember all the weapons and their effects), but it probably should be there, can you send me a save game (my email is in reply to sakuramboo) with a ship with those and provide a screenshot of what it looks like on your machine (might be hard to do, note the workaround for making those).
5. Hmm I'll have to check how it was on windows, but I think only shift should be a valid modifier. The rest are like normal keypresses (if someone knows feel free to correct me).
6. ok
Night Nord wrote:But, btw, great work! Runs smoothly most of times (except this model/whatever loadings), a lot of effects that were missing in wine (reflections!) and seems to be very stable - not crashed even once.
Just play a bit more and it'll crash;p

jiveaxe

Post by jiveaxe » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 13:18

After very little testing I have to say that game runs beautifully. I dunno know if I'm lucky but it doesn't give me any sort of problem.

First run was with vanilla options, except vram setted to 512+ and resolution to 1280x720 (windowed). The game loaded normally, the interface in my system locale (italian). The game itself runs smooth, no glitches or artifacts but I only played few minutes in Terra Argon.

Fullscreen mode (1680x1050) is also ok, smooth with FSAAx16 and Anisotropicx16.

About shaders: all ok except ARB Shaders nvidia: game crashes on boot.

1.1GB of ram used.

XBox controller works, but some keys must be configured.

My system:

Processor Information: 
    Vendor:  AuthenticAMD 
    Speed: 2600 Mhz 
    4 logical processors 
    4 physical processors 
    HyperThreading:  Unsupported 
    FCMOV:  Supported 
    SSE2:  Supported 
    SSE3:  Supported 
    SSSE3:  Supported 
    SSE4a:  Supported 
    SSE41:  Unsupported 
    SSE42:  Unsupported 

Network Information: 
    Network Speed:  

Operating System Version: 
    "Chakra Linux" (64 bit) 
    Kernel Name:  Linux 
    Kernel Version:  3.6.6-1-CHAKRA 
    X Server vendor:  The X.Org Foundation 
    X Server release:  11203000 

Video Card: 
    Driver:  NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 

Driver Version:  4.3.0 NVIDIA 310.19 
    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel 
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz 
    VendorID:  0x10de 
    DeviceID:  0x1200 
    Number of Monitors:  1 
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1 
    Primary Display Resolution:  1680 x 1050 
    Desktop Resolution: 1680 x 1050 
    Primary Display Size: 17,05" x 10,67"  (20,08" diag) 
                                            43,3cm x 27,1cm  (51,0cm diag) 
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x 
    Primary VRAM: 2047 MB 
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x 16x 

Sound card: 
    Audio device: VIA VT1708B 8-Ch 

Memory: 
    RAM:  3958 Mb 

Miscellaneous: 
    UI Language:  English 
    LANG:  it_IT.UTF-8 
    Microphone:  Not set 
    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  202019 Mb 
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  94393 Mb

haitamsh

Post by haitamsh » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 14:20

Hello,
first thank you very much for adding support for Linux!! :)
anyway, I am having a strange silly problem (hopefully it is just something silly that I am doing) after I first get control of the spaceship, it keeps spinning down+left as if the mouse is not calibrated, when I move the mouse it start "correcting" the movements and then go back to spinning down+left..
please let me know if you need more information :)
Thank you for you very much,
Haitam

Edit: I tried this in both window mode and full screen mode, same issue

sysinfo:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
asus sabertooth x79
Gigabyte GTX680 OC 2GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E 1
Corsair 4x8GB Vengeance Quad Channel CL10-10-10-27
mouse: Logitech performance MX

kernel: 3.7.0-7
video driver: Nvidia 313.09
Distro: Ubuntu 12.10 - 64bit

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 14:39

timon37 wrote:
Can you (or actually anyone else) confirm it does or doesn't happen on windows? Or with different hardware/drivers. Of course I'll test it sooner or later myself, but the more info I have the quicker I can work.
Doesn't happen to me on linux, so no need for windows verification.
It's probably driver/config/pipeline specific, so please also try to check the different pipeline settings (instructions in my main post).
haitamsh wrote:after I first get control of the spaceship, it keeps spinning down+left as if the mouse is not calibrated, when I move the mouse it start "correcting" the movements and then go back to spinning down+left..
Edit: I tried this in both window mode and full screen mode, same issue
Hmm do you have any other mice or joysticks connected, try unplugging them? Try pressing all the arrows keys a few times, they might be "stuck" in the sense that the game thinks they are pressed when they are not, this can happen for example when you hold a key and the focus is changed into a different window. Also do you have any peculiar software for remapping keys/macros or for sharing a mouse/keyboard (like synergy), those could cause problems.

haitamsh

Post by haitamsh » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 15:06

I tried two different keyboards same problem, but I have some extra information now:
1- if I start the game with the keyboard and mouse connected the spaceship will keep spinning, tried to disconnect both and reconnect - didn't help, kept spinning

2- if I try to start the game with only the mouse connected no keyboard it will work ok, then I reconnect the keyboard without any issues - fixes the problem.

I have no joysticks or second mouse/keyboard connected, and I am not using any mapping macros.
I also never encountered any input issues that indicates that a key is stuck in other games or daily use.

Thanks,
Haitam

eggman

Re: X³: Reunion - Linux BETA support thread

Post by eggman » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 15:24

I am unable to change the volume of the sound effects at all, while I can adjust the music and voice volume up, but not down.

Processor Information:
    Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    Speed: 3501 Mhz
    8 logical processors
    4 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Supported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported

Network Information:
    Network Speed:  

Operating System Version:
    Ubuntu 12.10 (64 bit)
    Kernel Name:  Linux
    Kernel Version:  3.7.0-7-generic
    X Server vendor:  The X.Org Foundation
    X Server release:  11301901

Video Card:
    Driver:  NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Driver Version:  4.3.0 NVIDIA 313.18
    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
    VendorID:  0x10de
    DeviceID:  0x1200
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1200
    Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Primary Display Size: 20,39" x 12,76"  (24,02" diag)
                                            51,8cm x 32,4cm  (61,0cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x 16x 

Sound card:
    Audio device: Realtek ALC892

Memory:
    RAM:  16003 Mb

Miscellaneous:
    UI Language:  English
    LANG:  en_GB.UTF-8
    Microphone:  Not set
    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  93899 Mb
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  6653 Mb

Installed software:

Recent Failure Reports:

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 15:28

haitamsh wrote:I tried two different keyboards same problem, but I have some extra information now:
1- if I start the game with the keyboard and mouse connected the spaceship will keep spinning, tried to disconnect both and reconnect - didn't help, kept spinning

2- if I try to start the game with only the mouse connected no keyboard it will work ok, then I reconnect the keyboard without any issues - fixes the problem.

I have no joysticks or second mouse/keyboard connected, and I am not using any mapping macros.
I also never encountered any input issues that indicates that a key is stuck in other games or daily use.
I understand that just pressing the arrow keys didn't change anything (apart from temporarily stopping the rotation)?
Also try if num_lock caps_lock or scroll_lock changes anything.
When the ship is spinning if you press , . or "r" does the window show/hide a bunch of times as if you pressed and released it extremely quickly?
Can you give me the result of "xinput list --long" and "xkbcomp :0 out" (the output will be saved to file "out"), you can put it on e.g. pastebin.com.

LaurensBER

Post by LaurensBER » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 20:13

timon37 wrote:
haitamsh wrote:I tried two different keyboards same problem, but I have some extra information now:

I understand that just pressing the arrow keys didn't change anything (apart from temporarily stopping the rotation)?
Also try if num_lock caps_lock or scroll_lock changes anything.
When the ship is spinning if you press , . or "r" does the window show/hide a bunch of times as if you pressed and released it extremely quickly?
Can you give me the result of "xinput list --long" and "xkbcomp :0 out" (the output will be saved to file "out"), you can put it on e.g. pastebin.com.
I can confirm this problem. Pressing the arrow keys doesn't help. I don't seem to have Scroll lock (Logitech Wave keyboard) but pressing numlock doesn't change anything.

Pressing F3 (target view?) and using the numlock keys stops the spinning but if I press F1 (my ship view) again it starts to spin again.

I don't get any scrolling in the windows in , . or r.

xinput list --long:
http://pastebin.com/KedcQqL3

xkbcomp :0 out:
http://pastebin.com/ZE7BQFmu

SkyBon
x4

Post by SkyBon » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 20:42

timon37 wrote:
timon37 wrote:
Doesn't happen to me on linux, so no need for windows verification.
It's probably driver/config/pipeline specific, so please also try to check the different pipeline settings (instructions in my main post).
No good, tried all the different settings both in nvidia-settings and config.yaml.

By the way, forcepipeline=2 crashes the game w/ nvidia-current. 1 and 3 work ok.

haitamsh

Post by haitamsh » Sat, 26. Jan 13, 20:54

windows are being opened when pressing r , . but it will not stop spinning. I don't have a numlock in my keyboard, as for capslock it didn't have any effect.

if you need my xinput and xkbcomp output as well:
xinput list output: http://pastebin.com/Ce18cnxR
xkbcomp output: http://pastebin.com/QhBbWAXi

let me know if there is anything else that I provide.
Thank you for your help and quick response.
Haitam

Mellen
x4

Post by Mellen » Sun, 27. Jan 13, 00:13

Here are my findings in the first session until my computer froze up exiting X3. Also available here: http://goo.gl/uDk1H

Num	Date	Version	Severity	Description
1	26/01/2013	2.5	MINOR	"X3 - Reuinon" typo in splash/startup menu above version number
2	26/01/2013	2.5	MINOR	Graphics Settings dialog seems to forget Antialiasing and Anisotropic was enabled when restarted. Enabling/disabling also does not seem to have any effect.
3	26/01/2013	2.5	MINOR	Input Device/Controller Adjustment settings dialog forgets "invert tilt control" was enabled when restarted
4	26/01/2013	2.5	MINOR	Scrolling mousewheel results in random left/right mouse button clicks, like firing weapons or activating mouse cursor
5	26/01/2013	2.5	MINOR	At one occasion starting the game resulted in the menu music playing while the desktop remained visible. After about a minute, X3 appeared shortly and went back to desktop where the Ubuntu crash agent said compiz had crashed.
6	26/01/2013	2.5	MINOR	Blurry/overly soft fonts in dialog windows. Changing pipelines did not change this. Changing antialiasing from 16x to 2x made fonts sharper.
7	26/01/2013	2.5	MINOR	Saving player stats says it is saved in "My Documents/EgoSoft/X3/PlayerStats.pck" but it is in fact in ".config/EgoSoft/X3/PlayerStats.pck"
8	26/01/2013	2.5	MINOR	Video force pipeline = 2 crashed X3.
9	27/01/2013	2.5	MINOR	Generated playerstats file fails verification on upload: "PlayerStats.pck Signature verification failed!"
Last edited by Mellen on Sun, 27. Jan 13, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
X3: Reunion for Linux
Screenshots: http://goo.gl/sv6qn
My Issues: http://goo.gl/uDk1H
System Information: http://goo.gl/l74Dh

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”