[X2] How To Run X2 On Vista (or Windows 7/8)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Thu, 26. Nov 09, 00:34

I'm running 64 bit Vista on my new laptop. I just installed X2 successfully by running the install.exe then applying the patches in the correct order. No error messages, no drama, everything works fine.

x2nath
x2

Post by x2nath » Sun, 17. Jan 10, 08:37

Who ever you believe in, bless you and all that's holy!! WOO! It works!!

Just follow the guidelines correctly :)

Mephastopheles
x2

Post by Mephastopheles » Tue, 2. Feb 10, 16:47

Hi,

I've just successfully installed X2 on my Vista computer using the advice on this thread, so thanks to all of you! All I have to add is that the problem I ran into, which may be confusing other Vista users, is that you must be careful to install ALL of the patches, preferably in sequence. I jumped to the 1.5 patch, assuming it would fix all of the same problems as the earlier version. This doesn't work. You must install the v1.2, v1.3, v1.4, Artificial Life, v1.5 and no-copy-protection patches, preferably in that order. If you have already installed 1.5 straight off, don't worry, you can just start again at 1.2. I didn't even need to reinstall.

Thanks again.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Tue, 2. Feb 10, 17:36

If you use the update screen then that should find the necessary updates. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's the 1.4 update you need as that carries the patches before it. The 1.5 update fixes a few tiny bugs and adds the uplink feature if I remember rightly.

Scatter78

Post by Scatter78 » Sat, 13. Mar 10, 16:06

I seem to be adding to a very old topic.

I recently located my old copy of X2 and was busted almost straight away Following the help located in this topic, the X download bit wont let me download the patches because it seems my original codes which are printed on the front of my orignal CD now seem to be invalid although it could be the fact that i used the same code many years ago to log on to this forum is there anyway to bypass this cause for the life of me i cant remember my first account or password.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 13. Mar 10, 16:16

Scatter78 wrote:the X download bit wont let me download the patches because it seems my original codes which are printed on the front of my orignal CD now seem to be invalid
As pointed out in Game registration codes-topic 'all restrictions on access to downloads and forums relating to X²: The Threat forums have been removed'. So, you don't need to register your game to download the patches.
Scatter78 wrote:although it could be the fact that i used the same code many years ago to log on to this forum is there anyway to bypass this cause for the life of me
If you want to register your game, you should contact an administrator via PM telling your problem and your X2 registration code.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Squee
x2

Post by Squee » Sun, 21. Mar 10, 16:30

right ive tried this several times but it just wont work. the game launches and i see the loading screen with the khaak ships then it blackscreens and goes to desktop. any ideas?
My dragon will own you(if not i can always run :P)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 21. Mar 10, 23:39

It doesn't sound like your problem relates to the installtion process described in this thread. Please start a new thread describing your problem in detail and providing a [url=http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_answer_en.php?answer=610&version=8][b]DX[/b][b]D[/b]iag[/url] report and your game version.

murdicus
x2

Post by murdicus » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 13:26

Thoght I might replay x2, installed on vista machine.

I keep getting this message saying "install complete. need to reboot to complete." have rebooted the system twice, set the game to run as administrator, but i still keep getting this message.

any help on this

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 17:42

Follow the instructions in the first post in this thread.

Cody1234
x3

Post by Cody1234 » Sun, 11. Apr 10, 08:44

I get the same problem...... only I'm running the demo because I can't find my old code to activate the game....

My problem is: It starts, goes to game, waits a few seconds, and freezes. idk what happened.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 11. Apr 10, 22:06

As with Squee's post, your problem doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the installation problem that this thread is about. Please start a separate thread and provide full details including your [url=http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_answer_en.php?answer=610&version=8][b]DX[/b][b]D[/b]iag[/url] report.

orcdemon
x3

Post by orcdemon » Mon, 26. Jul 10, 16:45

Yes I unpacked things to the wrong places too, until I got it right with the path C:Program files>Egosoft>'X2 - the Threat', so that all the bits from the patches were unpacked into the folder 'X2 - the Threat'. Then it worked fine thanks very much :)

From CD one 'Install': Copy the Egosoft file into C>Program files
(From here on: agree to replace all the older files)
From CD two 'Game': Copy the Egosoft file into C>Program files
In the correct order, doubleclick each download to unpack the patches into the 'X2 - the Threat' folder (each time make sure the path is C>Program files>Egosoft>X2 the Threat)
Rightclick 'X2' (the red coloured disc icon which is the exe. file in 'X2 - the Threat') and choose 'send to' - desktop

foxglow
x4

Post by foxglow » Mon, 30. May 11, 23:49

I know this is an old post, But, I just had to say a big Thank you to you guys, as I installed my original copy of X2 today on my Windows 7 comp following the instructions here, and am currently having a big Nostalgia moment watching the intro and at the old start up screen. Amazing job, Egosoft :)

To have a game as old as this and can run on an up to date system without much fuss is, as far as I'm concerned OUTSTANDING!! You should and I suspect be proud of your coders. Great job :D and of course for the fan base who also do so much for the X games.

lol. I will be flitting back and forth now between X3TC and X2 now comparing the differences as I am still currently playing X3TC

Foxy

Thedestroyer
x2

Post by Thedestroyer » Thu, 9. Jun 11, 14:50

Hi there, ive tried to follow the manual install instructions but had a couple of problems. The copy protection patch refused to install and patch 1.5 started questioning me as to where to put it. I couldnt be certain I was telling it the right place tbh.

I have windows 7 64 bit btw.

I created a x2 the threat folder on my desktop and copied and pasted the egosoft folders from the discs in to that, is this ok?

When I double clicked the patches they automatically installed except for the 2 problems above, this is what snookered me. :evil: I would really appreciate some advice please.

Ok, ive had another go. Ive located the C:/program files on my computer and tried to paste the egosoft folder, only for my pc to refuse me permission to do so, I thing im gonna just give up.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 9. Jun 11, 18:08

Thedestroyer wrote:The copy protection patch refused to install and patch 1.5 started questioning me as to where to put it.
Could you elaborate this? Was there an error message or what happened? With regard to saying the patch installer where the game files are, you normally can browse for the right directory.
Thedestroyer wrote:Ive located the C:/program files on my computer and tried to paste the egosoft folder, only for my pc to refuse me permission to do so, I thing im gonna just give up.
You don't have to install the game into "program files". That's just the standard location. If the PC refuses to put the files there - a possible cause are missing administrator rights - just choose a different directory.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Thedestroyer
x2

Post by Thedestroyer » Thu, 9. Jun 11, 20:00

Beforem I persevere with this, will a downloaded version from steam be a viable alternative? Its only £5 and It will save me pulling whats left of my hair out if it does.

Also if it does work would I still need the patches?

Please bear with me, its been ages since ive seriously gamed on a pc, probably about 6 years. So im very very rusty and used to pressing start and letting my 360 do the rest.

Thedestroyer
x2

Post by Thedestroyer » Fri, 10. Jun 11, 14:56

Ive finally managed to get it working, thanks to the help of my wife! It runs pretty nice too.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 20. Aug 11, 23:46

I'm subjecting myself to this torture now.

Why is my CD taking 15 minutes to copy the contents of a single CD??

:evil:

Lol took 10 minutes to copy 79k then crashed.

Tried again. Transfer rate 800k/s but over 20 minutes and transferred about 100k. Then crashed.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sun, 21. Aug 11, 00:01

Gave up and bought steam version lol...

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”