[X2] How To Run X2 On Vista (or Windows 7/8)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 12. Dec 08, 01:35

It's generally better to save the patch somewhere then you can re-run if necessary it without having to download again. Just remember where you saved it and double click on the downloaded file when it's finished downloading to start the installation process. The rest of the process is just a question of following the on-screen instructions.

Apart from games that feature auto-update, this method of applying patches is pretty standard across the board so it's worth getting used to it!

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Wed, 17. Dec 08, 09:23

I installed X2 on my computer using this method and it runs fine.

However, my Argon rep keeps dropping to suspected foe for no apparent reason. Could this method of installation have triggered an inbuilt antipiracy script or something?
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 17. Dec 08, 22:54

Not that I'm aware of.

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Thu, 18. Dec 08, 18:13

I wasn`t running it in compatibility mode, I think that was the cause. I started a new game in XP SP2 compatibility and it seems to be working fine with no rep loss.
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 19. Dec 08, 02:55

I'm not aware of any reason why it should require a compatibility mode either...

faarken
x2

thx heaps

Post by faarken » Fri, 13. Mar 09, 11:03

You guys a freaking legends - this has been pissing me off since I installed Vista - thx for the posts - it all works now - good one!

MnnM
x3

Cheers dude

Post by MnnM » Sat, 11. Apr 09, 21:35

Was having probs with installing this X2 till i read this and did what it said :) :) :)

gld77

Post by gld77 » Fri, 17. Apr 09, 02:53

cheers worked a treat!
serenity is not given but earned through patience

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Wed, 6. May 09, 12:16

Tried this but must have done something a little bit wrong. Game works fine but when I go to close it hangs and I have to use the Task Manager to shut it down.

I admit I was a bit confused about where exactly the files from the second disk had to go and so had to do a cut and paste after transfer.

Do you think using the task manager to quit like this will cause any major future problems?

I hate messing around too much: deleting and reinstalling.
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

TheBlackFlag

Post by TheBlackFlag » Fri, 19. Jun 09, 19:59

works beautifully.
Thank you :)

swanwick

vista install problem still

Post by swanwick » Fri, 7. Aug 09, 00:14

man i been trying to install x2 the threat on my new pc ive read this forum 20 times ive tried installing 30 times after the advice in this section but with no joy , the shortcut that the no cd update installs has the dll problem while when i send shortcut to desktop i have the u are not a administrator problem ive tried everythink numerus times really cheesed off about it :evil: now couple of issues i need to clarify... i copy cd 1 i put it in program fileshen i copy cd 2 i put that into the egosoft file created from cd1 is that right ? ok then i install all the patches in the order explained ...but doesnt work problem above^^ were hell am i going wrong my new pc is phenom x4 64 bit vista home etc , y so dificult too install a game on it dont get it at all ..i aint the brightest spark but ive followed the instructions and at this point i have just about give up help would be nice explaining this i realise uhave stated what too do but it aint worked and im sure its the same for hundreds others

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Sun, 20. Sep 09, 20:53

OK, I got it to work and I'm REALLY happy...thanks.

A quick tip. Those who are using 64 bit Vista, copy to Program Files (x86).

Also, once you have followed the instructions from CD1, on CD2 when going into the files to copy and paste I just copied the contents from the X2 The Threat folder into the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EGOSOFT\X2 - The Threat' folder, in other words, I didn't copy the folders from cd2 just the files.

Then I patched with ver 1,4 (European version so 1.2 not needed) and then the rest of the patches.

Worked brilliantly, fast and smooth! :D

banecast
x2

Post by banecast » Mon, 12. Oct 09, 20:26

If you find that the main title screen displays "textId not found" in place of all the text options you would expect to see, it is because you, like I, have copied the file x2.exe to the desktop instead of making a shortcut to it, as x2 looks in whicever current direcory it is run from to find the required text files - if you copied the x2.exe program to the desktop, then the program is looking in the dekstop for the files, instead of the installed directory

best wishes

aaron1595

Post by aaron1595 » Wed, 28. Oct 09, 13:19

I followed you guide with installing the patches and it worked perfectly fine!

I did not copy the files over i installed the discs as normal then installed the patches and it all works fine thank you i am relived :D

DrunkenPirate
x3ap

Post by DrunkenPirate » Wed, 18. Nov 09, 07:02

I was initially shocked when I got the error screen upon the automated install process and quickly scrambled here to see if there was anything I could do to get my X2 fix on my shiny new OS.

I am happy to report that Tumps workaround also works in Windows 7 Ultimate.

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Thu, 26. Nov 09, 00:34

I'm running 64 bit Vista on my new laptop. I just installed X2 successfully by running the install.exe then applying the patches in the correct order. No error messages, no drama, everything works fine.

x2nath
x2

Post by x2nath » Sun, 17. Jan 10, 08:37

Who ever you believe in, bless you and all that's holy!! WOO! It works!!

Just follow the guidelines correctly :)

Mephastopheles
x2

Post by Mephastopheles » Tue, 2. Feb 10, 16:47

Hi,

I've just successfully installed X2 on my Vista computer using the advice on this thread, so thanks to all of you! All I have to add is that the problem I ran into, which may be confusing other Vista users, is that you must be careful to install ALL of the patches, preferably in sequence. I jumped to the 1.5 patch, assuming it would fix all of the same problems as the earlier version. This doesn't work. You must install the v1.2, v1.3, v1.4, Artificial Life, v1.5 and no-copy-protection patches, preferably in that order. If you have already installed 1.5 straight off, don't worry, you can just start again at 1.2. I didn't even need to reinstall.

Thanks again.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Tue, 2. Feb 10, 17:36

If you use the update screen then that should find the necessary updates. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's the 1.4 update you need as that carries the patches before it. The 1.5 update fixes a few tiny bugs and adds the uplink feature if I remember rightly.

Scatter78

Post by Scatter78 » Sat, 13. Mar 10, 16:06

I seem to be adding to a very old topic.

I recently located my old copy of X2 and was busted almost straight away Following the help located in this topic, the X download bit wont let me download the patches because it seems my original codes which are printed on the front of my orignal CD now seem to be invalid although it could be the fact that i used the same code many years ago to log on to this forum is there anyway to bypass this cause for the life of me i cant remember my first account or password.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”