[X2] How To Run X2 On Vista (or Windows 7/8)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

thomas12345

[X2] How To Run X2 On Vista (or Windows 7/8)

Post by thomas12345 » Wed, 9. May 07, 09:48

Hi Ive noticed that many people have been having problems installing X2 on vista. well here is how to do it.

Explore the CD and open the Programs folder and copy the EGOSOFT files into the program files on your computer. Do the same for the 2nd CD. The mov folder will want to replace the other, DONT just add the files inside to the ones that are already on your computer. Once completed install the updates 1.2, 1.4 and the AI script update. these are found at the homepage. once done install the no CD patch. create a short cut to desktop of the no cd patch.

Run the game!!

I have tried this and it does work.

KarlHemmings
x4

Post by KarlHemmings » Tue, 12. Jun 07, 23:38

tick, v good.
In my experience the save games are stored in

drive:\[username]\APPData\Local\virtualstore\program files\egosoft\x2 - the threat\

so for me that is
c:\karlhemmings\APPData\Local\virtualstore\program files\egosoft\x2 - the threat\

You have to set folder options to view hidden folders*, otherwise once all save game slots are full you can not save new games.
I set a new folder called backup and move all my save games bar the newest to this (over right) and then start from fresh.

*click - organize - folders and search options - click on view tab - show hidden files and folders.
Last edited by KarlHemmings on Thu, 21. Feb 08, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

netoftheback

Re: How To Run X2 On Vista

Post by netoftheback » Tue, 22. Jan 08, 21:42

thomas12345 wrote:Hi Ive noticed that many people have been having problems installing X2 on vista. well here is how to do it.

Explore the CD and open the Programs folder and copy the EGOSOFT files into the program files on your computer. Do the same for the 2nd CD. The mov folder will want to replace the other, DONT just add the files inside to the ones that are already on your computer. Once completed install the updates 1.2, 1.4 and the AI script update. these are found at the homepage. once done install the no CD patch. create a short cut to desktop of the no cd patch.

Run the game!!

I have tried this and it does work.
I've tried all other methods and was going to give up...I saw your method and thought I'd give it one more shot...everything seemed to work well, but when ever I try to open the application all I get is one of the following:

"This application failed to start becasue zlib1.dll was not found. Or A N Other .dll file - it changes when I reinstall...

But once, I didn't get any .dll message, but got the X2 Error box come on screen stating I needed to run the program in Windows XP/ME etc... so I tried with the compatiability mode, and also as admin...nothing...

Fails to run everytime.

Freelancer works wonderfully.... ;)

Is X3 Vista compatibile

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 23. Jan 08, 00:24

Yes, both X² and X³ are fully Vista compatible. This is the X² Tech Support forum, so which are you running? If X³ then you don't need to do anything clever to install it anyway.

netoftheback

Post by netoftheback » Thu, 24. Jan 08, 18:36

I was trying to run X2, which I bought ages ago for my older pc...now upgraded, and had Vista too...so its X2 I'm having issues with...its all elementry really as I just today took delivery of X3, so we'll see how this one goes!

Thanks anyway!

:)

swoodhouse
x2

Post by swoodhouse » Sun, 9. Mar 08, 23:40

I keep getting the following error -

This application failed to start because ijl10dll was not found - Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I have followed the above instructions even though they aren`t very precise, twice, with the same results,

What am I doing wrong.

A step by step instruction from the beginning might help.
Mmm... What does this button d.....!!

Einder
x2

Post by Einder » Tue, 11. Mar 08, 01:10

thomas12345 wrote:
Explore the CD and open the Programs folder and copy the EGOSOFT files into the program files on your computer.
Is this after having installed the game with the setup program? By "EGOSOFT files", do you mean all of the files on the CD that have to do with the game?

thomas12345 wrote:
create a short cut to desktop of the no cd patch.
By "short cut ... of the no cd patch", do you mean a shortcut to the patched X2.exe?

I followed the instructions, assuming that I wasn't supposed to install the game first. I copied all the files on the CDs and used a shortcut to X2.exe. But just after I ran the game, the first window displayed "=TextIDNotFound=" in all the spots where there would be "text" text (rather than graphical text, like the X2 logo in the upper left corner of the window)--all except for where "EAX" is displayed. When I click on the button to run the game (I know which one that is.), the screen goes blank and does nothing more. I'm able to get to the task manager and quit the game nicely.

Does anyone have any more info about installing X2 on Vista?

Tumps

Post by Tumps » Tue, 11. Mar 08, 20:43

Ok this is very simple.........

X2: The Threat has 2 CD's

1) Insert Disc 1 "install"
2) Right click CD icon in My Computer and select Open
3) On the CD open the folder "program files" and inside should be another folder called "EGOSOFT" copy and paste that folder to where you want to install it (e.g C:\Program Files\)
4) Once the files have been pasted there, Take out Disc 1 "Install" and insert Disc 2 "Game"
5) Once again right click the CD icon in My computer and select open
6) Find the folder "EGOSOFT" located in the "program files" folder and copy and paste to the same place you put the other files (e.g. C:\Program Files)
7) Now Visit http://www.egosoft.com/download/x2/patches_en.php to download and install these patches in this order;

X²: The Threat Update 1.2
X²: The Threat Update 1.4
Artificial Life Update
X²: The Threat No Copy Protection 1.4
X²: The Threat Update 1.5

When installing the patches the patch might ask you where the game is. Just show the patch where the files are on your computer. If they ask to overwrite files then select "Yes to all"

8.) Go to where you installed the file (e.g. C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X2 - The Threat) and in that folder you should find an application file named "X2"/"X2.exe" right click it and select "Send To" then selct "Desktop (create shortcut)"

9) Run the shortcut you just made for your desktop and the game should start.

alexjmckay

Post by alexjmckay » Wed, 12. Mar 08, 00:42

Sorry I have tried this a number of times and get the same error every time.

"To install the application, You must have administrator priveleges to run the program"

I do have administrator priveleges can anyone help or has my copying routine screwed up? Many thanks.

Einder
x2

Post by Einder » Wed, 12. Mar 08, 05:48

Tumps wrote:
3) On the CD open the folder "program files" and inside should be another folder called "EGOSOFT" copy and paste that folder to where you want to install it (e.g C:\Program Files\)
My CDs, from Enlight in the U.S., have neither a "program files" directory nor a "egosoft" directory. My disc 1 has a bunch of files in the root directory along with a "data1.cab" and "data2.cab", which appear empty. My disc 2 has some files, along with a "demo" directory, a "fanfiction" directory, a "directx9" directory, and a "data3.cab" which appears empty.

My best guess was to just copy everything from the disks to a directory of my choosing, then run "x2.exe" via a shortcut, but it didn't work as described above.
But just after I ran the game, the first window displayed "=TextIDNotFound=" in all the spots where there would be "text" text (rather than graphical text, like the X2 logo in the upper left corner of the window)--all except for where "EAX" is displayed. When I click on the button to run the game (I know which one that is.), the screen goes blank and does nothing more. I'm able to get to the task manager and quit the game nicely.

alexjmckay

Post by alexjmckay » Wed, 12. Mar 08, 21:47

Got it now many thanks

tam2001
x2

Post by tam2001 » Fri, 9. May 08, 17:37

I recently obtained a copy of Freelancer, and all it did for me was remind me of how much better X2 was than it. Anyway I attempted to install my old X2 on my new Vista OS machine and came across the problems outlined above. Which brought me here.

I also got the missing .dll message initially but found 2 .dll files on the cd outside of the program file on disc 2 which I copied as part of Tumps' guide.

Thanks Tumps for the step by step install guide. However, having followed it through I now get a message stating that X2 "can only be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95/95/ME/xp" etc. I've attempted running it with the compatability changed but it informs me that "Launching the application in the compatability mode is impossible. Please turn off the compatability mode on the compatability tab" blah blah.

This is so frustrating :evil: . Maybe Freelancer's worth another go?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 9. May 08, 17:39

It sounds like you didn't patch the game up to the latest copy-protection-free version after installing it.

tam2001
x2

Post by tam2001 » Fri, 9. May 08, 17:57

You're right CBJ. I've installed the patch properly and now I get the start screen and then black. Still working on it. I'll update this thread if I get it going.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 9. May 08, 18:12

Try ticking the box marked "Ignore settings..." the first time you run it to prevent the black screen. If that doesn't work then we probably need a [url=http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_answer_en.php?answer=610&version=8][b]DX[/b][b]D[/b]iag[/url] report to help you further.

tam2001
x2

Post by tam2001 » Fri, 9. May 08, 18:36

Thanks for the quick responses CBJ, IT WORKED!!

I started again from scratch, I didn't have to tick the "ignore settings" box.

Thanks for taking the time to write the guide Tumps, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to keep a copy in my X2 patches folder.

Thanks again CBJ.

veroman34

Post by veroman34 » Sat, 24. May 08, 13:54

i know it said the same thing. ive managed to make this work. go to properties, then click on compatabilitythen go down to the bottom of the window and click the box that says run this program as an administrator.click ok then have fun

Garretto
x2

Post by Garretto » Thu, 29. May 08, 01:59

Hi, I was going through this "How to" but I find some issues:

1. Is step number one installing the game the standard way, before following instructions in this thread?

In case it is, I would like to ask about the installation of some Runtime files that pops up during the installation of X2. I'm concerned about this Runtime files installation because the game dates from about 2004 and I'm going to install it in Vista, I'm afraid of screwing someting up in my Vista, what should I do about these files?

2. I bought what seems a spanish language version of the game published by Ludis Games which contanis one DVD and not two CD's as everyone here seems to have. Nevertheless, in the DVD there is a "program files" folder which contains an "EGOSOFT" folder. I guess I should proceed with this folder the way it has been described for folders from CD 1 and CD 2, right?

3. I've noticed there is also a required install of a protection system (I mean in the standard -1st- install). Is it a safe install, will it be friendly to my system?

4. How do I know the software version I have? As my version is a DVD one, is it possible that it is a later version and thus I wouldn't need to perform one or more of the necessary updates?

Finally, I would have no problem keeping the DVD inside the reader all the time, is the installation of the "No CD Patch" completely necessary to run this game on Vista?

Thanks in advance!!!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 29. May 08, 09:57

1. No. Step 1 is just inserting the disk marked "Install" (or in your case the DVD).

2. Not knowing the specifics of the Ludis Games release I can't be sure, but at a guess, yes, just copy the contents of that folder.

3. If you follow the instructions in this thread the copy protection system will never actually be installed.

4. This is a good question. You might have to contact Ludis Games to find out the version before applying patches.

5. Yes. Installing the NoCD patch is necessary under Vista. Remember that this is an official patch, not some illegal crack, so there is no disadvantage to doing so.

Garretto
x2

Post by Garretto » Thu, 29. May 08, 11:19

Thanks CBJ for your quick reply. You've made all points pretty clear.

Only one thing about question number 4:

Ludis Games seems to be unreachable at this moment (web offline and couldn't find more about them), but anyway I wonder if when you try to install an update for an earlier -not later- version a warning message might prompt, I've seen this sometimes on other software. Similar to that, what would happen if you attempt to install update 1.4 over, say, version 1.0, thus bypassing update 1.2? Will you get a warning message?

I think I will ask in the spanish language forum anyway, they might know about the version.

Well, thanks again, tonight I will retry the install with the help received so far and let you know...

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”