[X3] Problems installing the US version? READ THIS!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

[X3] Problems installing the US version? READ THIS!

Post by CBJ » Fri, 3. Feb 06, 17:28

The Problem

If you have bought the US CD version and find you are getting an error installing the game then read on.

If you have version 1.0 on 6 CDs

It seems that due to a manufacturing fault, quite a few copies of the game are affected and have a problem reading two particular files, 08105.mp3 and 08106.mp3, from CD2.

The primary solution to this is to return your game to the retailer you bought it from for a replacement. Note that retailers in most countries, including the US, are legally obliged to replace or refund for faulty goods, and you should not accept "store policy" as an argument against this. A second, related, solution is to contact Enlight directly for a replacement as described on this page.

However, if, for whatever reason, you do not wish to return your game or otherwise obtain a replacement, it is possible to work around this problem manually:
  • Start installing and allow the process to continue until you get the error.
  • When the error appears, insert CD3 and when it gives you an error message again, click on Ignore for both files.
  • Continue with the installation right up to CD6 (actually the game disk).
  • Download the missed files from the links below and copy them manually into the game's "soundtrack" folder (the default is "C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X3 REUNION\soundtrack").
You should now be able to play normally.

08105.mp3
08106.mp3

Thanks to Elysian_souls whose original explanation of how to do this has been shamelessly plundered ;). A similar solution is described on the this page of the Enlight website.

If you have version 1.2.01 or 1.3 on 5 CDs

A manufacturing fault also appears to have affected this pressing of CD2, but with more severe consequences in that it cannot be installed at all using certain PCs and/or drives.

In this instance your retailer may only have more copies from the same batch which are likely to have the same problem. If you find yourself in this situation, contact Enlight directly and they will exchange your copy of the game for the 6 CD version. Enlight can be contacted at:

Enlight Interactive USA
8707 Yvonne court way
Parkville, Maryland 21234
phone 410-661-3301
Last edited by CBJ on Wed, 1. Feb 12, 13:12, edited 4 times in total.

krummbull
x3tc

Post by krummbull » Thu, 16. Feb 06, 04:04

Thanks to all who researched/posted this. I'm continually amazed at the support and community surrounding these X games. Salute.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 19:56

I was excited to see a workaround but here's the problem - the warning I get by disc 2 references a different file (X3 REUNION/mov/00144.dat) and if I try to ignore, or use the method above and ignore, it continues to warn about .dat files (00800.dat, 08030.dat, etc.) , and then files in a /profiles/ folder, a /scripts/ folder and so on. I gave up after about 35 ignores, knowing I'd never get the game to run if I did eventally resume installation. I've tried installing numerous times and can't get around it.

I took the game back to Fry's Electronics and they exchanged for me, only to have the new copy do the identical thing.

I emailed the support link and got my mail returned undeliverable saying the recipient's inbox was full.

I really want to play this game. Help!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 20:00

It sounds like you might have a drive problem. Try the CD in a different drive or PC if at all possible to determine whether it is a drive or disk problem.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 20:20

cool - thanks for the speedy reply :)

I did check this though lastnight before posting today to be sure. So far, 2 PC's 3 drives, all have the same error at the same exact spot, basically when right after I start with disc 2...

I just reinstalled 2 different multidisc games to be doubly sure and those went without a hitch.

I'm out of ideas? Thanks for the attention on this

----- from edit -------

I just noticed in the first post you mentioned there were 6 CD's, (number 6 being the game disc)

Both my copies so far have only had 5 discs, numbered sequentially, 01 02 03 04 and 05 - the print on CD 05 says it's the Game CD

the small imprint in the center of the 5 discs are as follows:

FINAL2_DISK1
X3D2 .3 5
X3D3 .3 5
X3D4 .3 5
X3D5GAMECD

On my main comp D:\ is my CD drive so Files (according to the error) are being looked for in D:\program files\EGOSOFT\X3 REUNION\mov (and so on) - Disk 1 is set up this way - the rest of the disks are all single bin files which might explain why it can't find the .dat etc files after disk 2 is inserted.

That all might actually mean nothing regarding the problem, just thought I'd include that as it seems Disk2 is a factor in this - sorry for the persistence...

feserik
x3

Post by feserik » Tue, 21. Feb 06, 03:19

nomorechores wrote:- the warning I get by disc 2 references a different file (X3 REUNION/mov/00144.dat) and if I try to ignore, or use the method above and ignore, it continues to warn about .dat files (00800.dat, 08030.dat, etc.) , and then files in a /profiles/ folder, a /scripts/ folder and so on.
I have the exact same problem. I'm hoping for a solution soon. Also, I only have 5 discs where disc #5 is the game CD.

---Edit ---
The full path that is referenced for me is G:\program files\EGOSOFT\X3 REUNION\mov\00144.dat (where G is my DVD-ROM)
Last edited by feserik on Tue, 21. Feb 06, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 21. Feb 06, 03:22

Unless there has been some remastering of the CDs (which is possible, but I have no information about that) then it sounds like you have been sold incomplete packages with missing CDs. If your retailer cannot help then I suggest you contact the publisher, Enlight, directly. The first link in the first post includes contact details.

feserik
x3

Post by feserik » Tue, 21. Feb 06, 03:27

Thanks for your quick reply, I'll contact them immediatly.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 22. Feb 06, 15:55

Hey feserik were you able to get this resolved with Enlight?

I've even scanned the CD's and sent to Enlight to show they were printed as a 5 disc set and I'm only receiving emails back that just have the generic support info from the page listed in first post above pasted in as a reply.

Did anyone else encounter this? I'm double-checking with the retailer today but it appears all of their copies are 5-disc versions...

No luck with the phone number yet, and the supervisor's emails get returned because his disk quota is exceeded. Judging by other posts in this forum, the game sounds pretty awesome so I'm hangin in there.

feserik
x3

Post by feserik » Thu, 23. Feb 06, 02:49

Hey nomorechores

I had emailed enlight and i got a response saying to take my disks back to the retailer and get an different copy. The second set also had 5 disks. The THIRD set had 6 disks in the package and I took that one and it installed without a hitch!! I am patching as i write this post. I wish you good luck on resolving your issue.

-Edit- I took a screen shot of the email from Enlight to show the manager at the retail store (Fry's Electronics) that the game should include 6 disks. I think that helped.

Krevel
x3

Post by Krevel » Thu, 23. Feb 06, 23:18

I had the DVD version by Deepsilver, even though I live in the US (bought from Newegg). That was scratched badly, so I purchased a new game from BestBuy. This is the CD version, composed of FIVE disks. I, too, had a problem while installing: kept getting a "corrupted disk" message. I updated my BIOS (Asus P4P800 SE mobo) to the latest version, and the game installed without a hitch and runs well now. To my surprise, the game installed version 1.3 out of the box.

I'm not saying that updating your BIOS will solve all of your problems, just that it worked for me.

Someone should get this straightened out with Enlight. Maybe the 5-disk version is the newer version, as I suspect. Either way, they have some quality control problems to fix.

Hope this info will be helpful.
There are two things we know are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And we're not sure about the universe.

zaptan
x3tc

Post by zaptan » Sun, 26. Feb 06, 17:13

looking at those names you can see exactly the problem, I got this 5 CD set too just bought

the 5 CD set is a patched release, alreadt at 1.3
the problem is, the first CD is the old 1.0 installer, and they changed how the 1.3 CDs are layed out

it is Impossable to install from the new 1.5 5 disk set with out a patched installer.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 26. Feb 06, 19:59

All of my retailer's copies are this version - they won't refund, only exchange for same package... which I've already done.

So until there is a patch I'm teasing myself with the box art.

:evil:

I tried the BIOS thing - all my stuff is up to date. Just won't install no matter what.

And Enlight's response to me was to exchange at retailer.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 26. Feb 06, 20:03

There is no way to "patch" the fact that you cannot install from the CD. You will need to take this up with Enlight, as they are responsible for the production of the CDs.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 26. Feb 06, 20:19

Thanks CBJ - I don't mean to keep posting in these forums, especially knowing this issue is not for this area... but you and others are at least replying. After emails returned, calls and voicemails unanswered, they replied with the same pasted-in response you linked to above.

I'll stop now but it just feels since I bought this game that the general consensus is that it's broken, and it's my problem.

Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
John

---- on edit: ------

To make my post somewhat productive, can anyone with a working 5 CD version tell me what's imprinted on the center ring of their disc 1?

(Mine read:
FINAL2_DISK1
X3D2 .3 5
X3D3 .3 5
X3D4 .3 5
X3D5GAMECD
)

This will help me pick out the right version with the retailer hopefully.
Thanks in advance.

Krevel
x3

Post by Krevel » Tue, 28. Feb 06, 00:05

I have a working 5-disk set.

Disk 1 says: X3D1 .3 5

The rest are the same as yours.

Good luck.
There are two things we know are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And we're not sure about the universe.

Varthlokkur
x3

Post by Varthlokkur » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 01:14

Argh. Apparently I have a 6 cd set. However, it came with two Disk 2s and no Disk 6. Is it possible to download Disk 6? :?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 01:24

No. You need to return it to your retailer. They are responsible for sorting out the fact that they sold you faulty goods.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 16:51

I have updated the first post in this thread with information relevant to people having problems with the newer 5 CD version.

shanergb
x3

Post by shanergb » Sun, 5. Mar 06, 22:32

zaptan wrote:looking at those names you can see exactly the problem, I got this 5 CD set too just bought

the 5 CD set is a patched release, alreadt at 1.3
the problem is, the first CD is the old 1.0 installer, and they changed how the 1.3 CDs are layed out

it is Impossable to install from the new 1.5 5 disk set with out a patched installer.
So why don't they just release a disk image of the fixed disk 1? For those of us with the faulty CD set, it would be an extraordinary convenience to be able to d/l it and burn it instead of running around to retail stores hoping they have a working copy.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”