[X-Tension] Throttle control is too sensitive on keyboard

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Vano47

[X-Tension] Throttle control is too sensitive on keyboard

Post by Vano47 » Fri, 19. Apr 24, 00:44

Steam version, Windows 10.

I decided to recall my youth and installed X-Tension. It is working absolutely fine, except for one thing: throttle control is extremely sensitive. Pressing A key once puts me at 50-100% throttle. All other ship controls seem to work fine, but it is very hard to set throttle low enough to dock with a station.
I don't have any controllers or joysticks or any control devices except mouse and keyboard plugged in.
Throttle sensitivity is the same for different ships (tried on Argon Buster and Lifter).
I tried reducing key repeat rate in windows - didn't affect throttle sensitivity.

I tried reducing FPS the game runs in: it somewhat helps, but not much. My normal FPS is 144, at 25 FPS one tap of A key gives about 25% throttle. Still too much, and I'm not playing the game at 25 FPS (I don't want to recreate my childhood experience this accurately). There is also a weird thing with FPS: I can't set FPS limit in nVidia control panel. The only way to limit FPS is to change my monitor refresh rate. I guess X-Tension forces v-synch regardless of nVidia control panel settings? Nevertheless, limiting FPS doesn't seem to be the key to solving throttle problem.

Or am I a big dum-dum, and throttle was always this sensitive? No, I distinctly remember being able to set throttle low enough to dock without any problems. Or was it?

If anyone has any solution, or ideas or suggestions, please help.

Vano47

Re: [X-Tension] Throttle control is too sensitive on keyboard

Post by Vano47 » Fri, 19. Apr 24, 09:35

Alright, I found a solution:

For steam version 2.3 you need to edit X-TENSION.exe with a hex editor. Find the following addresses:
0000F600 20FFFFFBFFB8398EE338F7E9C1FA028B
0000F640 20FFFFFBFFB8C7711CC7F7E9C1FA028B
Change 02 to a value between 02..05. The higher - the smoother throttle is. I found that 04 works best for me.

Credit goes to https://www.elite-games.ru/conference/v ... hp?t=18171

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”