Yoshiko: Time discrepancies?

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Vanguard3000
x4

Yoshiko: Time discrepancies?

Post by Vanguard3000 » Fri, 17. Jan 20, 21:44

I've begun reading the english translation of Yoshiko, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm glad they're finally being translated. However, I'm confused about the timing of the novel - the year (jazura) itself seems to jump around inconsistently with Yoshiko's age. So far, from what I've read:
- 562 ZT - the prologue - Yoshiko is escaping Sendir t'Grrt. She has a daughter, and remembers seeing the Sohnen ship as a kid.
- 564 ZT - Chapsters 1-5 - Yoshiko is a kid (ten-ish?).
- 561 ZT - Chapter 6 - Yoshiko is an adult and still working for t'Grrt.
Presumably Chapter 6 takes place between chapter 1 and the prologue, but the dates don't make sense. I know "Zuran time" works at a different scale than Terran time, but it should still be linear as far as I understand.
Can anyone clear this up? Is it a printing mistake? If so, is the original German edition the same?
Thanks in advance for any help.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: Yoshiko: Time discrepancies?

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 18. Jan 20, 09:46

You're right, the numbers are mixed up: Chapter two starts at 546 ZT, not 564 ZT. It's correct in the German print and ebook version, but incorrect in the English ebook.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

nhaines
x4

Post by nhaines » Sat, 18. Jan 20, 11:15

Thank you so much for noticing this and letting me know! I'll get this corrected in a future update to the ebook (whether you receive the update is more up to Amazon than Egosoft, unfortunately), and before any potential English print editions.

Vanguard3000
x4

Post by Vanguard3000 » Sat, 18. Jan 20, 23:56

Thanks, folks. I ended up checking the preview of the German edition on amazon.de and saw the number reversal. as well. That makes things make a lot more sense now.
nhaines wrote:
Sat, 18. Jan 20, 11:15
Thank you so much for noticing this and letting me know! I'll get this corrected in a future update to the ebook (whether you receive the update is more up to Amazon than Egosoft, unfortunately), and before any potential English print editions.
Glad I could help. ;) Actually, to be honest I've found quite a few spelling errors and whatnot, particularly with character names, which is understandable given some of the Teladi and Paranid names in the book. I've already fixed them in my version (I'm a big eBook guy and tend to reformat and correct books as I get them) so if you're planning to update the eBook edition on the store, I'd be happy to send you a list of the fixes I've made. It's the least I can do in return for you getting the books translated for us.

nhaines
x4

Post by nhaines » Mon, 20. Jan 20, 05:15

I'm always happy to get corrections, so if you have a list, please send them on to me!

I'm working on polishing up Nopileos in a way that wasn't possible given the original time constraints. While I strive for the best work possible, it is definitely one of the nicest things about ebooks that improvements are always possible!

I'm always reachable at nathan at nhaines dot com.

Vanguard3000
x4

Post by Vanguard3000 » Tue, 21. Jan 20, 19:16

nhaines wrote:
Mon, 20. Jan 20, 05:15
I'm always happy to get corrections, so if you have a list, please send them on to me!
I'm working on polishing up Nopileos in a way that wasn't possible given the original time constraints. While I strive for the best work possible, it is definitely one of the nicest things about ebooks that improvements are always possible!
Nice! Happy to help. I'm about halfway through Yoshiko now, filling a document with fixes as I go. I should be finished by the end of the week (or early next week).
I did the same thing with Nopileos already back when it came out. I didn't log the fixes I made, but I can send you the fixed ePub I have now to compare against. As for Farnham's Legend, I have your translation but I had already read the version on the forum so I haven't gone over your version. If I have some time I can give it a quick look and let you know.
In any case, thanks again, and stay tuned for a Google doc!

nhaines
x4

Post by nhaines » Wed, 22. Jan 20, 02:20

Vanguard3000 wrote:
Tue, 21. Jan 20, 19:16
Nice! Happy to help. I'm about halfway through Yoshiko now, filling a document with fixes as I go. I should be finished by the end of the week (or early next week).
I did the same thing with Nopileos already back when it came out. I didn't log the fixes I made, but I can send you the fixed ePub I have now to compare against. As for Farnham's Legend, I have your translation but I had already read the version on the forum so I haven't gone over your version. If I have some time I can give it a quick look and let you know.
In any case, thanks again, and stay tuned for a Google doc!
It's pretty funny. One writer friend thinks "I loved your book, here's a list of errors" is super rude, but me, I'm like, "Ooh, I can fix that in a couple minutes and make it better." And I've sent typo corrections to other authors before. Writers don't tend to reread their own work once it's published, and editors always miss something, so I find that kind of thing really valuable. (We have a total of about five other minor typos that will be fixed in the next update to Yoshiko.)

Nopileos was translated against a very unforgiving deadline to make it into the release of the X4 Digital Collector's Edition, and is a very literal translation. (Hopefully you found Yoshiko to be more natural!) I am currently revising it to be updated when the next book comes out and it should be a lot smoother. So I'd love to see your corrections!

Farnham's Legend was translated about 15 years ago here on the forum by regulars, including Timothy Ellis (and a dozen others), and then that translation was rewritten by Steve Miller, who wrote Rogue's Testament. Helge revised FL once since then, although I don't know what that entailed. He's been kind enough to review my work as I go along, and has been a really great guy. :D

As for the next book, I'm currently retranslating Farnham's Legend from the original German, although I always have the English translation open on my Kindle. Here's an early, rough first peek!
Chapter 1

Never before had I seen it more beautiful, its blues never so heavenly nor its clouds dreamier. The air tasted sweeter than ever, and the intoxication its sheer aliveness caused in me was overpowering. Here we were, back on the planet that is our home—the only one that we will ever have, no matter how far or where we go.
Harm must never be allowed to come to it. Never.

Dr. Elaine Sutton
Logbook of the Winterblossom
EDIT: Let the record show that Vanguard3000's list was super detailed and organized, and really kind of amazing. :)

Return to “Creative Universe”