Traders Tale - Chapter 24 completed

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Mercenary
x3tc

Traders Tale - Chapter 24 completed

Post by Mercenary » Sat, 15. Feb 03, 22:11

Had a bit of a typing frenzy this weekend, which means other stuff hasn't been done... oops :roll:

Completed after the **************

Merc.
8)
-------------------------------------------------

Chapter 24 – Final Delivery

Creed and Tor found Tereana in her room, she was still unimpressed at being ordered around on her station. It took some persuading by Tor, with the imposing presence of Creed, for her to pack. The vacuum proof case also held Tors’ personal and technical datapads.

“It will be a short space walk to my ship!” Creed commented.

Their suits lay in the corridor where they had abandoned them some time earlier, Tor watched as they both suited up. He checked, unnecessarily, that Tereanas’ suit was correctly fastened and the helmet was properly sealed.

With a last look he flipped down her visor so he could not see her tear streaked face. Whatever hold the alien had, he felt that somehow a part of him was about to exit from the station. It gave him the feeling that his soul had somehow been laid bare, whilst his emotional heart was torn asunder. Creed had watched impassively, yet somehow he could see the pain reflected in Tors’ eyes as Tor gritted his teeth. Tereana turned away towards the airlock and Creed put a hand on Tors’ shoulder, but said nothing the hard, stone cold eyes not revealing any emotions.

The inner airlock door closed with a well defined thump and a hiss as the vacuum seal engaged to verify a completely airtight seal. Tor gazed silently as the outer airlock door opened and the two suited figures exited the station and the outer airlock door closed behind them.

Tor decided to investigate the supplies in case there was some space fuel included.

Creed was not one to leave things to chance and as soon as the outer airlock door opened he had signaled the Mamba to come and pick them up.

As they jetted out of the station he told to Tereana to look left. The Mamba rounded the edge of the nearby asteroid at full boost. The reverse thrusters and control thrusters fired bringing the ship closer than recommended safe distance. As soon as they had entered the airlock the ship was turning and heading back into the asteroid field.

Creed did not bother to climb out of his environment suit and took the helm. Checking the Piranha had not moved he steered towards the edge of the asteroid field and plotted a course back to the Hatikvah’s Faith jump gate.

The Mamba shot out from between two large asteroids with its weapons still offline and at maximum speed. The Piranha did not move. Creed brought his weapons back on line, and considered that although the Alien may not be showing interest there were others that probably were.

He signaled all the War Mater ships to him and selected a pair of fighters to remain behind and provide sector information in case their satellite was taken out by hostile forces.

Tereana settled down but did not speak. The strength of her feeling were beginning to reduce the further the Mamba moved away from the station and alien ship.

Creed kept watching the monitors as his Mercenary ships exited the stations that they had been based in and formed up in the usual defensive shield. The four heavy fighters on the outer edges, and the lighter faster ships in formation between them ready to strike at a moment but shielded from surprise attack by the bigger more powerful ships. It was not the best defensive formation but given the number of ships it would do. He calculated that it would take nearly twenty minutes before he reached them. Claw Clan ships began to launch and form up into two separate squads. Their battle formation was, to Creeds eye, ragged but disturbingly organized.

He contemplated they might try a swift attack to change the odds and potentially eliminate one threat. However, in terms of numbers, even if they succeeded they could not afford the losses with the second group of mercenaries and Bloodheart ships still to compete against. Creed decided against a preemptive strike of his own, that would be later.

Looking at the scanner information he became aware of Dark Nebula Mercenary ships now forming up. Ten ships in total had launched, these were mainly Wolf ships and several Scorpions.

The term ‘spoiling for a fight’ wandered across Creeds mind, “Computer ID and remote scan all Dark Nebula designation ships!” He ordered.

These were Split military and unlike the Claw ships would have added confidence that their losses were going to be limited to acceptable numbers when fighting against non-military disciplined opponents.

“Scan complete. Details now being displayed!” The computer responded.

Creed picked out that two of the ships were equipped with solid projectile weapons. Also the Scorpion ships were non-standard with serious engine modifications to improve the otherwise slow and cumbersome ship.

“Computer send a transmission just to War Master ships!” Creed began, “Dark Nebula Ships showing hostile intent! Exercise caution two fighters carrying military issue solid projectile weapons, all pilots to wear environmental suits. Ship IDs’ for offending ships are included in transmission.”

The Claw Clan formations also saw the threat but moved away. Creed frowned slightly and came to the conclusion that this could be a battle where pirates fought pirates and mercenaries fought mercenaries. Only the winners from each would then battle against each other, unless the only two factions were Bloodhearts and Dark Nebula.

The Dark Nebula ships had other ideas.

“Orders acknowledged!” Serandamancketal responded over the com.

The Claw Clan ships tried to steer clear of the approaching Split fighters, but soon became acutely aware that they were the intended target.

The Split ships fired a volley of missiles at all but two of the pack which was forced to split up. The com channels were a buzz of unsecured communications. The Split pack tore apart the two remaining Claw ships in a deadly barrage of fire before the rest of the Claw Clan fighters could shake off the missiles and regroup.

Creed looked on solemnly and muttered, “Divide and conquer!”

“Computer contact Serandamancketal!”

“Channel open!” The computer responded.

The second flight of Claw ships moved to assist against the Dark Nebula who were holding a tight formation.

“Creed?” The Paranids face came on the HUD projector.

“Need to thin out those mercenary imposters. They’re Split Military!” Creed commented.

“Time to take out the Wolves” Serandamancketal smiled.

“Just be careful, I don’t want any losses!”

“Prommies only!” The Paranid winked his middle eye and smiled.

The battle group reformed as the only two Prometheus ships split from the group and headed towards the battling Claw and Dark Nebula ships.

The Dark Nebula although outnumbered had the upper hand. They had lost only one ship to the seven Claw Clan losses as the two Prometheuss’ entered almost unobserved by the combatants. The two wolf ships armed with solid projectile weapons were the first two casualties of the War Master Ships.

Creed nodded his approval. He was now nearly with the rest of his fighter group, when he decided against earlier reservations to join the combat. Tereana sat in idle contemplation on the low bunk and was taking no interest in events outside of the ship.

Moments passed as Creed selected a target. The two Prometheuss’ flew in bisecting vectors each targeting the others attackers. The superior shields and heavier firepower had the well disciplined Split pilots scurrying in all directions. The Claw Clan ships had mainly regrouped and were also harassing the Split ships.

Creed dropped in behind one of the Scorpions and opened fire, the pilot bailed out shortly before explosions ripped through the ship. The Dark Nebula were withdrawing and Creed registered that the stations had emptied of fighters, he brought the ship to a standstill and checked the scanners.

The two Prometheuss’ flanked either side of him and in front the massed fighters of the Bloodhearts and the Dark Nebula Mercenaries, behind him the Claw Clan ships. They were outnumbered by an order of magnitude. Creed had miscalculated the total number of warships that had gathered. Even so they kept a respectful distance. The War Masters were not the only ones that had turned up with heavy fighters. In amongst the Bloodheart and Dark Nebula ships were new generation Orinocos and a couple of Mambas. The Claw Clan ships were grateful that it was War Master ships between them and the Bloodhearts having only flown in older ships, the most powerful were five Teladi built Falcon fighters but these were not the latest incarnation.

“Send a message to all War Master ships to head for the Hatikvah’s Faith gate!” Creed commented quietly.

Tereana was standing nearby, “That’s a lot of ships!”

Creed was still suited and did not bother to try and look around. “I make it about one hundred and eight, not including War Master ships!” The Mamba moved slowly forward and turned on a vector that took them away from the two sides and both sides scanned his ship as it left.

“Why don’t they just attack each other and get it over with?” Tereana asked.

“Neither side want heavy casualties before they’ve worked out what exactly they are fighting for!” Creed answered.

“Yes but a moment ago they seemed quite happy to be shooting each other!” Tereana commented in a less than impressed manner.

“That was a minor fracas. This is a standoff and a show of strength!” He answered, but he could imagine the commanders of each force were now in heated negotiation the outcome of which had the possibility of one side standing down completely and most likely the Claw Clan would pack up and go home. Or worse still join forces on the promise of shared intelligence.

The brief skirmish would leave the Claw Clan leaders in no doubt of which side was the superior. As the Mamba cruised towards the jump gate with the two Prometheuss flanking him, both factions continued to hold their positions.

Tereana sat down in the bunk and when the ship completed the jump she felt as though some link had been cut with a sudden dizzy spell before passing out.

Creed set the course for the next jumpgate, having confirmed that all fighters were present. Then stood up and started to remove his environmental suit. He turned and noticed the slumped figure of Tereana.

“Are you okay?” He asked as he released the seals and removed his gauntlets.

There was no answer. He took a few moments to wrestle his way out of the suit and moved across the cabin. He checked she was still breathing and had a pulse, but she did not stir when he gave her a brief shake. Creed frowned then maneuvered her to lie properly on the bunk before returning to the pilot seat.

The group made rapid and silent progress across the sector. He called up the galaxy map and checked on the Nopileo’s Memorial the two sides were diffusing back to the stations. They had obviously reached a decision but only time would tell what that may be.

The minutes passed as they crossed into and through Aladna Hill to the shipyard in Light of Heart where the Gallators Fate was still being repaired within the massive superstructure of the station. Creed was mentally preparing his battle plan and it was crude involving squash mines, lots of missiles, drones and fast ships. He would also talk to Serandamancketal to see if they had any Dispersal Field Cluster Mines, a weapon developed after some of the earlier conflicts with the Khaak but quickly banned due to the residual mini-mines, scattered in the initial dispersal, not all detonating and proving to be a hazard to allied ships long after the conflict

Creed called for a medical team when he still could not awaken Tereana. Serandamancketal stepped on board and looked puzzled for a moment as the medical team removed Tereana on an anti-gravity bed.

“Get the men together I need to talk to them!” Creed ordered.

“So you have a plan then! Care to share it with me first?” Serandamancketal growled.

“Close airlock doors, we need some privacy!” Creed commented to the computer.

Tor drifted though the station not really knowing what to do with himself. Eventually he arrived back in the science laboratory and sat at the console. Tereana had left the translation decoder running on the Alien ship logs recovered in the last upload.

He looked at the results of the current log being decoded and to his surprise it looked just like a normal log even if he could not relate to the time line. He read through the details which appeared to be typed rather then spoken.

‘Log entry date, six, twenty five, twenty nine. Forced to drop out of Space Distortion. Fuel cell depletion now at critical levels. Will attempt to repair providing suitable resources are available in the current solar system!’

‘Log entry date, six, twenty five, thirty. Scanned nearby asteroids and planetary bodies without success! Engines off line to preserve remaining fuel for essential functions.’

‘Log entry date, six, twenty five, thirty one. Still no success in locating suitable materials, sling shot path plotted to get ship further out.’

‘Log entry date, six, twenty five, thirty two. Compared materials scanned to determine type of solar system, results are this is only a second generation sun. Material densities not consistant of third or forth generation solar system. Materials will not be available until we reach another solar system.’

‘Log entry date, six, twenty five, thirty three. Stasis unit prepared, engaging primary security protocols, emergency revival program activated.’

The next entry was a computer report on power levels and condition of the stasis chamber. Tor skipped though it and gauged there was fifty of the aliens years of these reports and then a massive four thousand three hundred and fifty two alien year gap.

He glanced at the report prior to the time gap.

‘computer log: stasis chamber functioning within standard parameters. Pilot deceased. Rapid freeze cryogenic protocols engaged. Insufficient fuel cell life to engage reverse thrusters. Navigation and low level shield activated. Emergency revival protocols activated. Complete system shutdown on completion of cryogenic freeze.”

Tor felt uncomfortable and then read the next entry.

‘Subsystem power restored. Insufficient fuel for reactivation. Security protocols engaged. Emergency revival protocol activated. Biological donors detected scanning for compatibility.’

Tor froze and a cold shiver ran down his spine.

A slow dawning realization crept over him that the Alien influence was more to distract him of his potential fate rather then read the logs and find out. The warm fuzzy feeling in the back of his mind grew momentarily stronger and implanted the thought that at least his last moments would have been pleasurable if he had not agreed so easily to let Tereana leave.

He shook his head trying to clear his thoughts, and wondered if he could call Caran or Creed to get him out of there. Deep inside he knew they would not accept any transmission from the station. The screen flickered and died. Behind him the holo-projector activated and a projection of the alien its skin colour dark but constantly changing hues appeared.

A voice spoke in his mind, ‘Greetings Tor’

Tor span around and looked, open mouthed at the image in front of him. “Where…?” He murmured.

‘Your systems are adaptable and I am merely an image of myself.’

Tor noted the lips of the alien did not move.

“But you’re dead!” Tor replied.

‘In my civilization death is only the first step to immortality!’ The voice replied.

“Yeah and in mine it’s the last one!” Tor somehow did not feel afraid.

‘Understand my place is with my people and that is where I need to return to!’

“And that’s supposed to make me feel better!” Tor replied evenly, though he could not read the creatures expression he got the feeling that it was smiling, but not in a cruel way.

‘The systems your people activated on my ship, engaged several security and defensive sub systems. The computer system that controls these is the one you sense. Not me! It has certain programs that I cannot override that enable the ship and a living me to return home by whatever means necessary.’

Tor paused for a moment, “Could you at least move your lips when you talk, it’s really disconcerting to hear a voice without seeing the lips move!”

‘Ah!’ The Alien responded, ‘Unlike you I do not use sound to speak. My species can communicate via brain wave patterns and complex changes in skin colours. We can hear vocalization but that is a species development thing. But I will turn around to see if that helps.’ The Alien image rotated the arms and hands adjusted themselves and Tor found himself looking at the eyes in the back of the Aliens head but there was no mouth.

“That’s just a little bit too freaky for me.” Tor commented weakly.

“Do you wish me to turn around again?” The Alien asked.

“No, just stay as you are and I’ll adjust.” Tor paused for a moment. “Well it’s great knowing so much about you when I’m going to be unable to share this information with anyone I know.” Tor commented bitterly. He could sense the Alien smile in a knowledgeable way and yet one somehow keeping a secret of other things.

“So why are you here?” Tor asked the one question he really felt needed answering, above that of what his own fate was going to be.

The Alien hesitated for a moment. “My ship is a deep space pathfinder. Assigned to run ahead of a research vessel. To ensure the solar system being entered does not contain any dangers. Unfortunately when dropping out of Galactic drive I encountered a group of Scavengers and Planet Strippers. Their weapons systems damaged the fuel cell but I was able to initiate an escape by using the hyper acceleration of the drive and headed towards the nearest solar system. Unfortunately not my own. The rest you know from the already translated logs!”

“What happened to the research vessel? Why didn’t it try to find you?” Tor replied.

“I don’t know. My feeling is that the Scavengers blocked my warning transmission If that were the case then the research vessel would have assumed I had been killed.” The Alien commented.

“Tough break!” Tor paused and then asked, “Do you have a name?”

The Alien studied him for a moment then said, “Ghojositaling.”

Tor tried to repeat it, several times, before responding with, “If it’s okay with you I’ll just call you Ghoj!”

The Alien made a gesture equivalent to a shrug. “Tell me about yourself, your people and its culture!”

“You could probably get all that information from the computers!” Tor replied.

“Often the information on computer systems are historical impressions of what a species were like and can make a poor impression of the real society as it is today. For example many species remember great battles and victories and this may give the impression of a violent culture. However when you look not at the records but the artifacts they have produced then the impression can shift to an advanced civilized culture capable of producing beautiful serene objects reflecting the true nature of the species.” Ghojositaling commented.

“I think I lost you somewhere!” Tor replied.

Ghojositaling explained again, citing examples from his own species history. The holo-projection operating like a magic show as the Alien image manipulated the screens to reflect times and places, also objects of his own species.

Hours passed and Tor was mesmerized by the information being given to him. Eventually he began to explain as much of the history of the Argon as he could remember, from its violent beginning to the current day. But paying as much attention to the non war side of the Argons history as possible to try and prevent an un-balanced impression. Deep inside he knew he was probably not the best candidate to be telling the history of his people or receiving the Aliens history. However the telepathic link seemed to make the information stick.

Thinking about his predicament he added in conclusion. “At the moment we are at War with a race known as the Khaak and are attempting to defend our borders with the other races in our region of space. But the biggest problem you face is getting out of this sector and back into Danna’s Chance, which is where your ship was stopped. This sector is full of pirates and I’m sure they will want your technology and will try to capture your ship.”

“The Khaak! My kind had not encountered that race when I left, but it has been a long time and we may know them by another name.” Ghojositaling replied, “I have been monitoring events in the sector via your ship and acknowledge the risk. Your navigation data is most useful I can now plot a course home.”

“So that’s why you’ve got my ship! I thought it was to stop me trying to run away!” Tor responded.

“For monitoring and prevent you from getting up to any mischief. That is correct!” The alien commented. “We will meet again!”

Tor was resigned to his fate and suddenly felt tired as the Alien image faded. He made it back to his room and fell into a deep dreamless sleep.

Serandamancketal had returned with the extra munitions and three more Mambas. Creed sent away the smaller fighters with the exception of two fully tuned Octopus for rapid mine deployment.

Caran Belign had also joined them at the shipyard and was talking with Tereana who had slept for twenty two Argon hours before regaining consciousness. Creed had already handed him Tors’ old personal pad and he had spent much of the time reviewing the information whilst waiting for Tereana to awaken. He had also had one of his men deliver the technical data pad to Bilyzonus after it had revived itself and gave the details as to how to contact her.

The freighter carrying the last of the materials for the alien ship had entered the sector under, what Creed considered, unnecessarily heavy escort with three new generation Elites and five Boron Eels all carrying the markings the AIC.

“Welcome to the show!” Creed murmured. His own people were ready the discreet transfer of mines and drones being unobstructed by the station security. They had been given orders to turn a blind eye to the activities in the security section of the station which housed the fighters.

He wandered from the control room and into one of the security controlled food halls. He could tell the regular guards here were uncomfortable with him and the other mercenaries being here so he had encouraged discretion from his men. They appeared comfortable staying near their own ships. He purchased a snack then wandered along to see how Caran was progressing with the interview of Tereana, hoping that she may be able to reveal some additional information as to what will happen after the Alien has received the last supplies.

As the medical center door opened he could hear Caran ask the question, “So you don’t remember the Professor? He was one of your team.” They both glanced over to Creed who casually walked in.

Caran raised a quizzical eyebrow. “The transport ship is now in the sector!” Creed responded, “And I thought I might learn something about our mystery alien.”

Caran tipped his head in brief acknowledgement then looked at Tereana. He smiled briefly. “The Professor?” He asked again his tone soft.

“As I said before there were just the five of us, the other four were killed or captured by the pirates.” Tereana commented slightly frustrated by being asked the same question several times over.

Caran smiled and nodded slightly, “Okay!” he paused as he studied Tereanas’ expression and could tell that she firmly believed her answer. “How much did the alien tell you about its’ mission? That’s if it had a mission.”

“Nothing I was just translating the Alien ships data logs before he turned up and dragged me away!” She answered glancing at Creed.

“And Tor?” Caran asked.

“Tor? Tor who?” Tereana asked and looked around desperately wondering why she was being asked about people she did not know.

Creed looked surprised, “He’s the guy you were about to get very intimate with when I arrived on the station.”

“What?” Tereana exclaimed loudly and looked at Creed as if he was lying. “There was just me there, OKAY!”

Creed glanced over at Caran who sat with his hand gently stroking his chin in thought. He gestured for Creed not to say anything.

“Well you’ll be pleased to know that you’re safe now! We’d like to just keep you here under observation in case there are any medical problems due to being in close proximity to an unknown life form. Fortunately the reason you’re not in a quarantine environment is because you did not come into physical contact with the Alien. If you remember anything else you know where to find me.” Caran had decided to prematurely end the interview with the suspicion that he would not learn anything new.

Both men left the room, the door hissed shut behind them and it was half way down the corridor and safely out of reasonable earshot did they start to talk and even then in low voices.

“Strange she doesn’t remember them!” Creed commented as he formed his own ideas as to why.

“It’s a brilliant piece of mind control!” Caran observed.

“Make the people closest to the source forget about each other, then they won’t realize anyone’s gone missing.” Creed replied.

“Exactly!” Caran commented.

“Trouble is we still remember!” Creed observed quietly.

“I guess that’s because it doesn’t have the power to influence all of us!” Caran replied.

“Let’s hope this isn’t the front runner of an invasion fleet. Otherwise we’ll all be in trouble!” Creed commented.

“Conquered from within!” The big Argon sighed, the glint of overhead light reflecting off the metal plate in his face and onto the floor.

“Tor did ask me if I could hear a whispering in the back of my mind!” Creed commented.

“And could you?” Caran commented.

“Nope! But I guess that’s because I’m all heart!” The mercenary leader smiled.

“Of course you are!” Caran afforded himself a slight grin.

“So what do you want us to do?” Creed asked.

“Keep with the plan and deliver the materials! If we don’t then someone else will find themselves with the same dilemma!” Caran affirmed.

“We could always bury it in the asteroid?” Creed offered.

“It’s already got control of the Piranha and we have no idea what else it’s capable of.” Caran started, “We are walking a fine line and it is more by mutual trust that it doesn’t hack into any number of the nav sats and dump itself on other computers.”

Creed nodded slowly as Caran continued, “No we have to let it go, believing it is a friend and it believing we are its friends. Once it’s gone then we’ll decide what to do if it ever returns and shows hostile intent.”

“That’s assuming it’s going to get out the sector!” Creed muttered.

Caran glanced over to him, “I see you’ve gathered your heavy artillery!”

“Did I mention we have Split Military thinly disguised as Mercenaries fighting along side the Bloodhearts?” Creed glanced towards Caran.

“Several times already!” The Argon replied.

“And they have military issue solid projectile weapons?” Creed commented.

“Slightly more times then you mentioned military pilots!” The Argon replied again.

“Good! So you don’t mind me using precautions to safeguard my people?” Creed commented.

“What you do is your own business, and I don’t want to know what you’ve had smuggled onto this station. Normally I hold with the principle that two wrongs don’t make a right. But in your case I’m just going to accept the fact!” Caran spoke frankly with a slight hint of disdain.

“This is business!” Creed responded.

“And you will be well paid!” Caran acknowledged.

A com bleep from Carans’ personal pad alerted him that the freighter was standing by. Waiting until the War Master Mercenary ships to join them.

“Time for you to go!” Caran commented, “Oh and the AIC has kindly offered the continued presence of the fighters supplied.”

Creed smiled, “That’s going to shift the balance nicely!” He calculated with the additional fighters he would have a force of eighteen fighters.

“They are there to help you get away not wage war!” Caran responded sharply.

Creed just smiled then went to issue orders for his people to depart. Caran wandered up to the secret service control center within the station and opened the large screens on the Galactic sector maps, he would observe the progress of the convoy.

Within minutes the stations forward cameras were showing the steady stream of War Master Ships launching and forming up. Creed headed the pack as they swarmed in around the freighter. A burst of communications activity and the group went into formation and moved forward.

Caran ordered up a hot drink and sat back watching. In, potentially, just over an hour the action would begin.

Professor Autland sat on the bunk in the Piranha studying his notes. He had spoken to the AI several times to get some clarification of a few points. He titled the piece ‘Gateless Inter-Galactic Travel, Fact not Fiction’. At the moment he only had the vague theoretical description of how this was achieved and was eagerly awaiting the last of the materials to be delivered.

To him this would be the crowning achievement of his career, nothing else seemed important. Once the Alien computer system was back on line it would share the technical detail that demonstrated how the drive mechanism worked, and as an incidental he would be there to welcome the Alien when it awoke from its long slumber.

The AI spoke, “Professor ships are approaching!”

“Identify!” The Professor answered.

“A number of fighters currently holding position approximately ten k’s from this position. A freighter is approaching. Scan indicates the materials are on board. Also on long range scans a number of fighter craft are also closing on this position.”

The Professor sat in the pilot seat and looked at the sector information. The fighters from the stations were still a long way from the asteroid field and not moving particularly fast to be any immediate threat.

The freighter released the two cargo containers and headed away. The Piranha under AI control closed in on the containers and targeting each transported it into the cargo bay. Slowly it turned and headed back into the asteroid field.

Caran Belign was watching the events carefully when he received a call from Macar.

“What is it?” He asked quickly.

“The data’s gone!” Macar replied.

“What?” Caran responded.

“It just went. I was working with the data logs and suddenly it all vanished! Something in the code triggered and trashed the lot. There is nothing left!” Marac commented quickly.

“What about backups?”

“Just checked them and they’ve all gone. Totally corrupted!” Macar replied.

Caran frowned, he did not look at Tors’ personal pad. “Okay. See if there’s anything you can salvage!”

The transmission ended. Caran went back to watching the screen.

The Piranha glided gracefully into the rift of the asteroid and into the darkness of the chasm leading to the Alien ship. The Professor pulled on his environment suit. The lights on the Piranha reflected off the hull of the hollow lifter.

The AI spoke, “Fuel cells construction complete! Transporting to ship! Professor please feel free to cross over to my ship, it will take a short while for all systems to complete self checking and return to full operational status but you will be there to witness the restoration of power, and meet the pilot on restoration.”

The professor smiled and checked the seals on his suit were in secure. The inner airlock door opened and he stepped forward. It closed and sealed behind him and the outer airlock door released to slide gracefully away. With a sense of excitement and pride the Professor crossed over. Cautiously so as to not make any careless mistakes he opened the lifters door and carefully jetted to the Alien ship avoiding all the equipment.

The outer airlock opened and a voice in the back of his head bid him welcome. The airlock door shut behind him and he was still smiling with a warm feeling of well being.
Last edited by Mercenary on Sun, 16. Feb 03, 21:30, edited 3 times in total.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sat, 15. Feb 03, 22:59

Cool read, Merc. Brilliant, the log files and nice battle.

"biological donors" :lol:

found a couple of typos:

- at on the outer edges
- to the seven. Claw Clan losses: "." is wrong

Will be interesting to see what agreement the parties came to. I guess Creed is just too much of a known person that the Claw fighters did not try and ask for his continuous support :D
Disturbing news about Tereana. Hopefully it i fixable or perhaps the three of them are half way through the alienation-process already :o

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Sat, 15. Feb 03, 23:22

Cheers KiwiNZ

corrected....

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 01:06

Excellent read again Merc, nice emotional parting, strange that Tereana later colapsed.

A good tension build up for the fight, I thought it was going to get much worse!

The log entry for the Alien ship was interesting, but still not much info on why the alien is out there in the first place though.

Looking forward too more, cheers.

crunn
x4

Post by crunn » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 01:12

As always, outstanding.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 02:56

Moss wrote:Excellent read again Merc, nice emotional parting, strange that Tereana later colapsed.

A good tension build up for the fight, I thought it was going to get much worse!

The log entry for the Alien ship was interesting, but still not much info on why the alien is out there in the first place though.

Parting is such sweet sorrow :D and the real fight is yet to come...

The translation section didn't manage to get that far back and I believe Tor will be too concerned about his own fate then investigate further :( ...ho hum ....hmmm, I do know why the Alien is there it just doesn't seem appropriate to mention why... or could I :gruebel: ... That's a different story perhaps...

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 11:01

bump

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 11:05

That was cool. I wish i had an imagination like that. 8)
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 14:25

Mercenary wrote:
Moss wrote:Excellent read again Merc, nice emotional parting, strange that Tereana later colapsed.

Parting is such sweet sorrow :D and the real fight is yet to come...

The translation section didn't manage to get that far back and I believe Tor will be too concerned about his own fate then investigate further :( ...ho hum ....hmmm, I do know why the Alien is there it just doesn't seem appropriate to mention why... or could I :gruebel: ... That's a different story perhaps...
Okay.. Sooo the aliens mission was never going to be part of the story?! :( ah well at least we'll eventualy see the effect it has on Tor and the rest involved in this story, I still think the professor is the one in most trouble tho, unless the "Biological donors" age is relevant in some way!

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 15:22

Moss wrote: Okay.. Sooo the aliens mission was never going to be part of the story?! :( ah well at least we'll eventualy see the effect it has on Tor and the rest involved in this story, I still think the professor is the one in most trouble tho, unless the "Biological donors" age is relevant in some way!

About half way through typing the second half, and it looks like Tor has found out a lot more.... :wink:

The professor hasn't had much of a mention recently perhaps I should put in a word about him.... but not yet.. 8)

Adamskini
x3tc

Post by Adamskini » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 18:44

yet another most excellent read :)
Aug 2000 -> March 2001 - Old Skool Egosoft Forum
March 2001 -> Nov 2002 - THQ forum
Nov 2002 -> now - Current, prettier Egosoft Forum

[anybody remember The Enforcers?!]

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 19:01

good stuff merc. Looking forward to more.
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 21:22

Ahem... chapter completed...

Longer than normal, and onto preparing the final chapter... :shock:

Hope you enjoy....

Merc
8)

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 22:10

come into my parler. Said the spider to the fly
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 22:48

Excellent yet again, Merc!!

Now I am really curious what you have planned next. This does turn events a bit. Wonder what Tor's chances are to get out of there ... or join the alien to its home or what. MOOOOOOREEEE

- Waiting until the War Master Mercenary ships to join them. ?for the ...?

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 23:40

KiwiNZ wrote:Excellent yet again, Merc!!

Now I am really curious what you have planned next. This does turn events a bit. Wonder what Tor's chances are to get out of there ... or join the alien to its home or what. MOOOOOOREEEE

- Waiting until the War Master Mercenary ships to join them. ?for the ...?
No not yet. Tris has to send him on that mission yet and that's at least 5 years away.

Read chapter 1 again.

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Sun, 16. Feb 03, 23:45

Oh Merc, sorry to ask, but when you have finnished the first part of the story, witch sounds like it will be either this or next chapter, can I have a complete copy?

Adamskini
x3tc

Post by Adamskini » Mon, 17. Feb 03, 01:44

shove a stick up my ass and call me 'Charlie Wang'! :D
Aug 2000 -> March 2001 - Old Skool Egosoft Forum
March 2001 -> Nov 2002 - THQ forum
Nov 2002 -> now - Current, prettier Egosoft Forum

[anybody remember The Enforcers?!]

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Mon, 17. Feb 03, 02:08

Adamskini wrote:shove a stick up my ass and call me 'Charlie Wang'! :D