[MOD] X2: Firelance 4.0.4 [RELEASE] [16/June/2012]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

SteelRush
x4

[MOD] X2: Firelance 4.0.4 [RELEASE] [16/June/2012]

Post by SteelRush » Thu, 1. Sep 05, 20:01

Firelance is finally out of beta and is now fully ready. Please report any bugs here.

Players can do story or non-story mode. Some cutscenes had to be disabled due to stability issues.

When you start a game, the universe will be initializing, and will be very choppy. If in story mode, just watch the opening cutscene until it smooths out.

All scripts have been rewritten and optimized since FL3.

Here are the highlights of what's in so far:

- 22 shields
- 36 guns
- 21 missiles
- Over 100 new ships and variants including the new and playable M7 and M0 classes
- Over 30 new sectors of unknown regions (not yet fully fleshed out yet)
- 5 new races
- Derelict ships the player can capture. To capture a ship, fly 50km from a fighter, or 250km from a derelict capship and a message will be sent telling you what to do to capture.
- AI ships now travel in fleets of around 5 capital ships, and have been placed in strategic and border sectors.
- AI now uses jumpdrives by default if equipped.
- Races will attempt to rebuild factories if they are destroyed.
- Races will respond to threats with deadly force. The response system has built from the ground up for FL4, and no longer relies on Jumpfleets. Commonwealth races will not issue responses against each other.
- Reputation matters. Capital ships cannot be purchased unless you have a high enough reputation. You need a Police License of that race to purchase them. A new menu will appear on your ship computer for Shipyard. As you rank up with the race, new ships will come available.
- Reputation consequences for destroying ships and stations are now much more severe. However, you can still take minimal reputation losses if you can manage to isolate a ship with no witnesses from it's owner race.
- BBS system stripped of fake news. BBS now only contains missions and other entries useful to players. News has been moved to a new system that will alert the player to real events in the universe. News can be enabled and disabled per race in the AL menu. News alerts only happen for races the player is on good terms with.
- Pirate raiding parties now spawn to plunder TS ships. If they choose a player as a target, they will demand you to drop your cargo. If you comply, they will take the cargo and leave you alone.
- Pirate smugglers now use jumpdrives to significantly increase their chances of actually smuggling.
- Players may now become friendly with the Pirate factions. Once the player visits Brennan's Triumph, you will be able to see your Pirate reputation. If the player's reputation is good enough, the Pirates will not select the player as a possible raiding target.
- The Yaki are a minor Pirate faction the player can gain reputation with. They do not hold nearly the power in the X2 timeline as they do in X3.
- Pirate Space stations are now owned and operated by a large cartel called the Dantai.
- Xenon now stage deadly raids across the universe with capital ships.

There are some significant combat changes:

- Missiles now ignore shields for fighters. Hornet class missiles ignore capital ship shields.
- Capital ship shields are now invulnerable to mass driver type, and wide area weapons.
- Wide area weapons are very dangerous to fighters, so fighter pilots are advised to keep their distance from combat where these weapons are deployed (Split and Paranid sectors will not care if the player is in range of these weapons when fired).

Race unique weapons and shields

Each race has a unique blend of weapons and defensive capability. Here's how they generally break down:

Argon - Master of none, solid in all

Boron - +50% Defensive capability, -50% Offensive capability (Boron weapons are Ion based, and take down shields at a rapid rate, but their hull damaging ability is very low in comparison to all the other races)

Paranid - -25% Defensive capability, +25% Offensive capability

Split - -50% Defensive capability, +50% Offensive capability

Teladi - +25% Defensive capability, -25% Offensive capability (Teladi weapons are universal for all races.)

Here are the fighter and freighter variants explained:

Vanguard - Less shielding and hull, more firepower, slighly better speed, acceleration and turning
Sentinel - Less firepower, significantly increased hull and shield, less speed, larger cargobay
Raider - Significantly less shielding and hull, significantly increased firepower, better speed. Glass cannons.
Military - All the advantages of the variants rolled into a balanced package. Not available to the player without capturing (attempts will not be appreciated by the AI).

Freighters

Tanker - More cargobay room, more speed, only M class cargo.
Super Freighter - Significantly more cargobay room, more guns, more shielding. A bridge between TS and TL classes. Far less speed than standard TS ships.

There is probably ALOT more I am forgetting. But here's the mod:

http://www.steelrush.com/firelance/FL4/FL4.0.4.7z

Voicework was tested on the English Steam version of X2.

I highly recommend Player's HD Mod for this. It can be found at the link below:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585

Please post any questions or feedback for Firelance 4.

Installation Instructions

The English Steam version of X2 is recommended. If you do not have that, X2 version 1.4 or 1.5 will work fine with Firelance 4.

Windows Vista and 7 Compatibility

X2 should have the following compatibility options set:

Compatibility mode:
Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

Priviledge Level:
Administrator

This will prevent crashing and other odd bugs.
Last edited by SteelRush on Fri, 22. Jun 12, 00:17, edited 104 times in total.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Thu, 1. Sep 05, 20:45

What? Is even half of what you say there even POSSIBLE!? I HAVE to check this one out. :o

*edit - after taking it out for a spin* Hmm, to bad it screwed up the voices. And whats the purpose of having 3 Wharfs in the Home Sectors? :?
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Thu, 1. Sep 05, 21:28

:o There some real changes hear. Great job will try it out.

How does your wingmen perform under these condition ?? i normally don't max out my wingmen anymore, because then they usually crash into my ships, but those speed looks great though.

How is de pirate now ?? Are they a chalange too now ??

DZorro,
System spec: Pentium (R) D 2.66 Ghz, Ram : 2048 DDR, HD : 250 GIG 7200 RPM intern 8 MB cash
Videocard : Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb : Realtek
Laptop : AMD athlon 64 3200 + 1024 DDR 80 gig HD Conexant AMC Audio, Ati mobility Radeon Express 200

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Thu, 1. Sep 05, 21:35

The wingmen now perform much more efficiently, because they no longer oversteer or get into turning fights. Also, we've put an accent on balancing ships so you would perform much better in an M3 with an M4 and M5 wingman than three M3s, because each of them sports different weapons and act more coherent as a team. The M5 is there to cut the shielding, the M4 will generally pound on the hull and the M3 is there to provide the killshot once it gets the target ship confused and slow (so it can aim properly).

As for the pirates... see for yourself. It's a secret, but I can tell you one thing: our beta team noticed definite improvement. ;)

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Thu, 1. Sep 05, 22:00

Galaxy613 wrote:What? Is even half of what you say there even POSSIBLE!? I HAVE to check this one out. :o

*edit - after taking it out for a spin* Hmm, to bad it screwed up the voices. And whats the purpose of having 3 Wharfs in the Home Sectors? :?
What version of the game are you running, EU or US?

The point of 3 Wharfs is having a better chance of having L ships in stock.

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Thu, 1. Sep 05, 22:25

Eh one question though, fighting a pirate base with one m3 is out of the question now right ?? :o

I really like the way the LaserTowers handle in protecting a station, just tried it and my ship was ripped away in secods. :D
Even though i was just testing the way my ship would handle it self. i just could not shake that laserTower weapons firing on me.

Looks like i really need to built a large fleet to try that again, i gues that disco just don't cut it. :roll:

DZorro,
System spec: Pentium (R) D 2.66 Ghz, Ram : 2048 DDR, HD : 250 GIG 7200 RPM intern 8 MB cash
Laptop : AMD athlon 64 3200 + 1024 DDR 80 gig HD Conexant AMC Audio, Ati mobility Radeon Express 200

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Thu, 1. Sep 05, 22:35

D_Zorro wrote:Eh one question though, fighting a pirate base with one m3 is out of the question now right ?? :o
It's not out of the question, it's just that... the chances of survival are insignificant and dropping. :twisted:
D_Zorro wrote:I really like the way the LaserTowers handle in protecting a station, just tried it and my ship was ripped away in secods. :D
Even though i was just testing the way my ship would handle it self. i just could not shake that laserTower weapons firing on me.
In theory, you could shake it with enough strafing. In practice, the beam is now powerful enough to only need to lick you before the Disco incinerates.
D_Zorro wrote:Looks like i really need to built a large fleet to try that again, i gues that disco just don't cut it. :roll:
One of the objectives that we hoped to reach was to actually diminish the "one man army" effect that's been plaguing X2. In turn, some weapons have been nerfed significantly (you can probably guess which ones ;) ), as well as the shields and hull which have been modified to better show just how powerful and invulnerable the capital ships seem.

Regarding the sounds, that's probably a problem with your installation and codec setup rather than the mod's problem. You might want to retry reinstalling your codecs first.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 00:55

SteelRush wrote:What version of the game are you running, EU or US?.
The US version, should that change much?

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 01:58

Galaxy613 wrote:
SteelRush wrote:What version of the game are you running, EU or US?.
The US version, should that change much?
What exactly is the sound doing?

The mod was tested and built around the US version, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 02:26

Well, it's like everything is shifted about 500-1500 milliseconds to the right. So when I jump into The Wall I get some weird noises where "Now entering" should be and then it'll say part of "Farnhams Legend" like "Farnhams Le-" and cuts off. This also happens with ship names and seveal other things. Like when I target a ship it says the name starting 500-1500 milliseconds ahead of when it SHOULD start and it finnishes saying that and starts reading the description then stops.(Because all the voices in the game, or the majoity of them, are in one big wave file)

daneren2005
x2

Post by daneren2005 » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 02:56

Has anyone noticed any bugs besides the voices yet (I don't care about those). My game cuts out pretty quickly usually, so I think I'm going to wait till the next time it cuts out...Just wondering wether I should try this out or stick with Terradine. I don't like Beta (I know it's not beta, but it's still the first released version) testing just because I don't have a lot of time and I don't feel like starting over every time that something goes wrong.

DrunkenPirate
x3ap

Post by DrunkenPirate » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 02:59

Oh my.. :o

Time to excercise the modem...

daneren2005
x2

Post by daneren2005 » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 03:03

lol, I hated downloading with a modem, just upgraded my internet recently.

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 03:23

Galaxy613 wrote:Well, it's like everything is shifted about 500-1500 milliseconds to the right. So when I jump into The Wall I get some weird noises where "Now entering" should be and then it'll say part of "Farnhams Legend" like "Farnhams Le-" and cuts off. This also happens with ship names and seveal other things. Like when I target a ship it says the name starting 500-1500 milliseconds ahead of when it SHOULD start and it finnishes saying that and starts reading the description then stops.(Because all the voices in the game, or the majoity of them, are in one big wave file)
For sound problems, see the following tech support FAQ entry:

http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/inde ... &subcat=13
Last edited by SteelRush on Sun, 4. Sep 05, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

Harlock776
x2

modding changes

Post by Harlock776 » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 03:47

If you guys made any changes to the voices in the game for any reason then you need to check those changes. What most people that want to change the voices do is make a seperate audio file that has only what they want in it and go from there or they separate each voice comment into it's own file. Audio is a very big problem in this game especially gunfire sound playback. If you get some time, go over to *** and look for my replacement sounds version 2.0 mod and check out it's readme file. Lots of info there if you haven't already figured it out yet.

SteelRush
x4

Re: modding changes

Post by SteelRush » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 05:09

Harlock776 wrote:If you guys made any changes to the voices in the game for any reason then you need to check those changes. What most people that want to change the voices do is make a seperate audio file that has only what they want in it and go from there or they separate each voice comment into it's own file. Audio is a very big problem in this game especially gunfire sound playback. If you get some time, go over to *** and look for my replacement sounds version 2.0 mod and check out it's readme file. Lots of info there if you haven't already figured it out yet.
To accomplish what I did, I had to go around alot of hardcoded limitations. I've been working on this for about 6 months now. There's a method to my madness in how I modified things.

Since not everyone is having this problem, I'd like to see if I can figure out what causes it for some and not others.

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 09:50

I'm not having any problems with sounds like the others are reporting, but what's the deal with those M5 class ships ??

they don't go in formation very well like they used to, and keep flying in circles arround my ship, luckely none of those hit me yet.

But they kind of look funny though like spacefly or something. :D

DZorro,

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 10:41

I didn't tried it yet, but :
SteelRush wrote:The point of 3 Wharfs is having a better chance of having L ships in stock.
Even with 200 wharfs, the availability of L ships is dependant of the availability of 25MW Shields. So you should add well supplied 25MWshield factories in the sector ;)

Edit : hum. I've checked your file. There's a lot of script files from the official bonus pack. It can cause issues with people who do not have the same version of the pack running.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 12:27

SerialKicked wrote:Even with 200 wharfs, the availability of L ships is dependant of the availability of 25MW Shields. So you should add well supplied 25MWshield factories in the sector ;)
Actually, it has been confirmed several times that the availability of L models isn't dependent on anything but a dice roll, so we added a few more dice to the throw. :)
SerialKicked wrote:Edit : hum. I've checked your file. There's a lot of script files from the official bonus pack. It can cause issues with people who do not have the same version of the pack running.
The script files are there because their behaviour was modified - there is no more ongoing cost, and the prices have been modified so the software is more available, which was one of the main "brakes" in the early gameplay - there are no more "cold starts" with this mod. :) As for the compatibility with older script version, there's no excuse now, anyone can download the latest script pack and patch, and we put that into the disclaimer as well.

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 2. Sep 05, 14:08

Actually, it has been confirmed several times that the availability of L models isn't dependent on anything but a dice roll, so we added a few more dice to the throw. Smile
:o I was quite sure of what i said, but after a check you're right.
Sorry :)

----
Just a word of warning to other people, do NOT run my Pirate Guild script on this map. Without any pirate owned sector it can't work correctly here. I'll probably release a patch soon.
----
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”