New version of Doubleshadow's X2 Editor (0.36) available

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Thu, 5. May 05, 19:16

Doubleshadow is actively looking into it...so use your text editor for now, and watch this space :lol:

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Wed, 11. May 05, 01:37

OK folks...the Wizard of Prague has done it again! Version 0.35 of the X2 Editor is now available at http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/index.php?p=download This version provides a couple of bugfixes, and adds a new feature.

The fixes include the ability to add lines to TShips (and other type files) from within the editor. No more resorting to a text editor to add lines to TShips. (Using ptch07, you can now extend the number of ships in X2, and copy/cut & paste entries around within TShips. Very handy indeed!}

The second fix corrected an obscure problem I encountered (created?) with the Galaxy Editor.

Finally, the new feature is a list of most recently opened files when you open a new file in the Text orGalaxy editors. I don't know how I got along without it!

Lothmorg
x3

Post by Lothmorg » Sat, 28. May 05, 05:07

Is it possible to add content into the galaxy from the editor that does not have the resource loaded into the dropdown list?

Let me explain.

I have taken Deadly's awesome mod and extracted all the files except the x2_universe.xml file. That, I want to recreate from scratch and include all the cool little goodies that Deadly worked so very hard on. ie: I want the shipyard in Argon Prime to sell the 200MW Shield Factory (T=6 S=291).

I know I can edit it with a text editor, but that is ... undesireable. I'd like to do it with DS's Galaxy Editor, but it only allows objects that are currently loaded (appears as hardcoded dropdown).

Does anyone know of a workaround, or am I stuck with notepad?

Thanks.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 28. May 05, 06:21

Lothmorg,

I just finished the 1st draft of a tutorial on how to use Doubleshadow's tools to extend my mod pack. It covers moving/swapping ships arount in TShips, adding other ships, and adding ships to shipyards with the GE.

I sent it off to DS and a couple of others for a quick sanity check...and don't really want to post if for "public consumption" until I've had some feedback.

I'll email it to you, but please don't distribute it until I've had a cahnce to update it based on some external comments.

Like I said, une of the specific examples I use is adding ships to shipyards with the GE. The concept is exactly the same for wares in Equipment Docks.

Also, there is a fairly easy way to get X2E to load the type files you want. Place the cat/dat pair for the mod in your X2 folder, and using the X2 launch screen, select the mod (you don't have to run it...just select it, and quit). X2e will load the files from the currently selected mod after the core X2 files. This means the the TShips, TLasers, TBullets, etc from my mod would be available in the GE.

Check your email, and take a look at the tutorial, I included lots of screenshots.

Lothmorg
x3

Post by Lothmorg » Sat, 28. May 05, 07:33

Wow! That was quick. :o
I'll check it out now.

Thanks. :D

Edit: That could be my problem. I unpacked everything and don't use the mod package. I'm thinking that is why X2E doesn't read all the extra stuff. Weird.
When I look at your x2_universe.xml file (in X2E), I see the new stuff as an interpretation of the raw data (t=6,s=291) and not the real name (200MW Shield Factory).
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 28. May 05, 10:10

You can still unpack everything if you prefer. Just make sure you also put a copy of the cat/dat files in your X2 folder, and select it as the "current Mod.

Then you can edit your unpacked files, and X2E will have access to the information it needs from the mod. As an alternative, you can re-do the "settings" for X2E to point to your "unpacked" folder. Assuming that the base X2 files are there (from your "unpack" operation, and the files from the /type & /t folder from the mod are there, then you should see readable text instead of numbers.

Remember, the xml file with the text descriptions must also be in the load path for X2E...not just the "type" files.

As a note, when i first started modding (before X2E), unpacking the game was an essential 1st step. These days, the only reason I use any unpacked files is to import them into 3dMax (textures amd bodies). Once you get comfortable with X2E and X2MM, there is really no reason to unpack your game unless your into the GFX thing.

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Sun, 29. May 05, 02:53

specially that "merge mods" button on the MM makes life so much easier .. :roll:

just delete what you dont need out of the to copy mod .. put it in your mods-folder together with the mod (cat/dat-files)you use .. hit the button .. est voila .. :o

Maulkye
x3

Post by Maulkye » Thu, 2. Jun 05, 22:37

The Galaxy Editor link seems to have died. Anywhere else I can get this little gem?

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 3. Jun 05, 00:45

Maulkye,

Just got back from a biz trip, and checked the links. They seem to be working fine now.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Mon, 6. Jun 05, 20:09

Version 0.0.36 is now available from the links on the 1st post in this thread.

This update changes to look of the editor "launch panel", adds in a new and very useful feature where X2E will automatically load the files from the currently selected mod (either from the X2, or X2MM). There are also a couple of bugfixes related to cut & paste.

Also with the release of this version, I am releasing my tutorial on how to use X2E (and X2MM) to swap ships around inside my SSG mod. I use the SSG mod as the basis for my example since I know it quite well, and since I have already extended the X2 OBJ files to accomodate an extra 55 ships. The tutorial can be found at http://www.flatrock.org.nz/wolf/images/ ... ial_V1.rar

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Mon, 18. Jul 05, 19:17

Would it be possible to add to the race selection dropdown, the 5 custom races slots? I am using two of the custom race slots in a mod in progress, and I have to use XeHonk's galaxy editor as it's the only one to let me use those slots, so I can set ownership of items to the "custom races".

keitherwild6
x2

Post by keitherwild6 » Wed, 14. Sep 05, 02:36

Hi! I have been trying to get the doubleshadow editor for sometime now but everytime I dl the supposed extra files needed for it I end up with a corrupt file, I have a dial up and dling a couple times makes ya mad. LOL.

Well, what I really need is a step by step instruction.

My purpose is Simple:

1. Edit the weapon speed/damage/range of the game.
2. Edit the statistics of the Ships.

So what I need is:

1. The specific file names of the Doubleshadow editor I have the following:

a. x2e_runtime2_install.exe
b. vbRuntime_install.exe

2. The site to get them at besides the one listed.
3. How to install and make it work!

Thank you! If this answere elsewhere please point me at the right direction! thank you!

NightmareKato
x4

Post by NightmareKato » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 23:44

I'm in need of this utility, but I can't seem to get the download to work - hell, the links just stop working for some reason.

Can these be sent to me via AIM or something, please?

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 00:11

You should had bad luck, i'm hosting these files, and i've tested several times, downloads work fine, atm.

Try :
http://doubleshadow.fxnetworks.org/x2e/ ... nstall.zip
http://doubleshadow.fxnetworks.org/x2e/ ... o_0.37.zip

cheers.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

benjaminbray

Post by benjaminbray » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 00:05

Im using X2E on a D2D install with no mods and no scripts. I keep getting the error: Invalid size in CAT entry.
How do i remedy this?

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 05:01

Hi and welcome here,

D2D files are corrupted. But I've seen a topic (HERE) about this issue, maybe it will help you.

Anarkis Gaming HQ

Khaak_Hammer
x2

Post by Khaak_Hammer » Sat, 1. Jul 06, 20:42

HELP I cant download the Doubleshadows Editor It just comes up as "page not found" please help

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Sat, 1. Jul 06, 22:07

Look at the previous page of this topic, i've posted the direct download links.

Anarkis Gaming HQ

Kurashima
x2

Post by Kurashima » Tue, 1. Aug 06, 00:46

Direct Links dont work my friend, its just a broken link.

Is this related to your hosting being down? If so, its terrible timing :( (for me anyway).

destrucci
x4

Post by destrucci » Wed, 12. May 10, 01:48

For anyone having trouble installing the X2 TXT editor I found a link for the zlib and vbfiles you will need.

http://apricotmappingservice.com/X3TCdownloads/

# X3TC-DS-VBRuntime_install.exe
# X3TC-DS-X2E_runtime2_install.exe

They are used in the X3 editors but they work.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”