New version of Doubleshadow's X2 Editor (0.36) available

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

madcaddie
x3

Post by madcaddie » Sat, 25. Dec 04, 07:37

It doesn't come from any mod isn't this file from the stock game dat archives?

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 25. Dec 04, 18:55

The only "/t" files that come with the game are xx0001, and xx0002 (where "xx" is your langauge code..."44" for english).

The Bonus Material adds the xx0003 file. Anything else you see in your "/t" directory was added by a script package or mod.

You might try my earlier suggestion, and remove the offending file from your X2 Editor path.

madcaddie
x3

Post by madcaddie » Mon, 27. Dec 04, 06:09

Thank you will do that and see what happens probally came from one of the weapons mods I installed.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 25. Jan 05, 19:17

The initial version of DoubleShadow's X2 Modmanager has just been released.

As a result in DS having to update the libraries for the ModManager, he has released Version 0.32 of the X2 Editor...which is now available at http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/index.php?p=download This is a maintenance release to synch libraries with the new X2 Modanager, no fixes of changes to functionality.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 8. Mar 05, 23:28

Version 0.33 is now available from the download links at the top of this thread.

This release provides a few small bugfixes, and enables compatibility with the latest release (0.12) of the X2 ModManager. (The X2 Modmanager can now open typefiles directly from the .cat/.dat files, using the X2 Editor.)

Duriel_LOP
x4

Post by Duriel_LOP » Sat, 2. Apr 05, 09:38

Err the downloads dont seem to work, they just stop working, am I doin something wrong? I just clikc on the link and nothing.

edit - got it downloading now
:)
HAR HAR HAR, It be here!!!!

"There shall be wings! If the accomplishment be not for me, 'tis for some other. The spirit cannot die; and man, who shall know all and shall have wings..." - Leonardo da Vinci

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 2. Apr 05, 17:06

Err the downloads dont seem to work...
They are back up now.

The site DS uses is in Eastern Europe, and very occasionally the network routes get a bit scrambled.
Last edited by DeadlyDa on Sat, 2. Apr 05, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Duriel_LOP
x4

Post by Duriel_LOP » Sat, 2. Apr 05, 17:55

yup! i got em downloaded thanks :)
HAR HAR HAR, It be here!!!!

"There shall be wings! If the accomplishment be not for me, 'tis for some other. The spirit cannot die; and man, who shall know all and shall have wings..." - Leonardo da Vinci

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Sat, 2. Apr 05, 22:21

Happens too me sometimes too, I tried to download 0.32 -> 0.33 abit ago and it kept on saying it was done when it wasn't. o.O Lucky now everything is smooth. :)
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

cf_nz
x3

Post by cf_nz » Thu, 5. May 05, 10:49

Using the TXT editor I get an 'error creating object' message when I try to add a ship to the tships file. What am I doing wrong?

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Thu, 5. May 05, 11:15

Using the TXT editor I get an 'error creating object' message when I try to add a ship to the tships file. What am I doing wrong?
I may not entirely understand what you mean. The X2 Editor is not capable of "adding" a ship to TShips. It can only edit entries that are alreadt present. The number of entries in TShips is "hard wired" into the x2story.obj file. Unless you modify the obj file, you cannot add ships to X2.

Give me a bit more info, and I'll try and help.

cf_nz
x3

Post by cf_nz » Thu, 5. May 05, 11:38

DeadlyDa wrote:
I may not entirely understand what you mean. The X2 Editor is not capable of "adding" a ship to TShips. It can only edit entries that are alreadt present. The number of entries in TShips is "hard wired" into the x2story.obj file. Unless you modify the obj file, you cannot add ships to X2.

Give me a bit more info, and I'll try and help.
Sorry, I was a little vague. I've had 3 days of confusion trying to learn how to import a ship into the game, I think I'm winning now though.

I mean using the X2 editor to add an entry for a ship to the Tships file (not add the actual ship). If you right click on the ship list you get an option to 'add', if I select this I get the error.

cf_nz
x3

Post by cf_nz » Thu, 5. May 05, 16:38

The X2 Editor is not capable of "adding" a ship to TShips. It can only edit entries that are alreadt present. The number of entries in TShips is "hard wired" into the x2story.obj file. Unless you modify the obj file, you cannot add ships to X2.
I've just read your reply again and maybe I'm misunderstanding the process.

1. You can add ship slots into the game using the Patch07. Y/N?

2. You then need to add an appropriate entry into Tships and change to number of slots at the top. Y/N?

3. Can you use the X2 Editor to add that entry into Tships or do you need to add in into the text or XML file and then edit it using the X2 Editor?

Thanks

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Thu, 5. May 05, 18:55

1. You can add ship slots into the game using the Patch07. Y/N?
Absolutely correct :)
2. You then need to add an appropriate entry into Tships and change to number of slots at the top. Y/N?
Again, correct :)
3. Can you use the X2 Editor to add that entry into Tships or do you need to add in into the text or XML file and then edit it using the X2 Editor?
Ahhh,,,that would be "door number 2" :D

You must add the new entries in TShipe using your trusty text editor, and then brin up X2 Editor, In a way, this makes things easier, since you can cut & paste an existing entry that is close to what you want...so you don't need to manually enter each and every field.

Having said all that, Doubleshadow is looking into it, and will see what he can do about enabling the "add ship" feature directly from X2 Editor.

Hope this helps...

cf_nz
x3

Post by cf_nz » Thu, 5. May 05, 18:59

You must add the new entries in TShipe using your trusty text editor, and then brin up X2 Editor, In a way, this makes things easier, since you can cut & paste an existing entry that is close to what you want...so you don't need to manually enter each and every field.

Hope this helps...
Many thanks, thats helps a lot.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Thu, 5. May 05, 19:16

Doubleshadow is actively looking into it...so use your text editor for now, and watch this space :lol:

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Wed, 11. May 05, 01:37

OK folks...the Wizard of Prague has done it again! Version 0.35 of the X2 Editor is now available at http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/index.php?p=download This version provides a couple of bugfixes, and adds a new feature.

The fixes include the ability to add lines to TShips (and other type files) from within the editor. No more resorting to a text editor to add lines to TShips. (Using ptch07, you can now extend the number of ships in X2, and copy/cut & paste entries around within TShips. Very handy indeed!}

The second fix corrected an obscure problem I encountered (created?) with the Galaxy Editor.

Finally, the new feature is a list of most recently opened files when you open a new file in the Text orGalaxy editors. I don't know how I got along without it!

Lothmorg
x3

Post by Lothmorg » Sat, 28. May 05, 05:07

Is it possible to add content into the galaxy from the editor that does not have the resource loaded into the dropdown list?

Let me explain.

I have taken Deadly's awesome mod and extracted all the files except the x2_universe.xml file. That, I want to recreate from scratch and include all the cool little goodies that Deadly worked so very hard on. ie: I want the shipyard in Argon Prime to sell the 200MW Shield Factory (T=6 S=291).

I know I can edit it with a text editor, but that is ... undesireable. I'd like to do it with DS's Galaxy Editor, but it only allows objects that are currently loaded (appears as hardcoded dropdown).

Does anyone know of a workaround, or am I stuck with notepad?

Thanks.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 28. May 05, 06:21

Lothmorg,

I just finished the 1st draft of a tutorial on how to use Doubleshadow's tools to extend my mod pack. It covers moving/swapping ships arount in TShips, adding other ships, and adding ships to shipyards with the GE.

I sent it off to DS and a couple of others for a quick sanity check...and don't really want to post if for "public consumption" until I've had some feedback.

I'll email it to you, but please don't distribute it until I've had a cahnce to update it based on some external comments.

Like I said, une of the specific examples I use is adding ships to shipyards with the GE. The concept is exactly the same for wares in Equipment Docks.

Also, there is a fairly easy way to get X2E to load the type files you want. Place the cat/dat pair for the mod in your X2 folder, and using the X2 launch screen, select the mod (you don't have to run it...just select it, and quit). X2e will load the files from the currently selected mod after the core X2 files. This means the the TShips, TLasers, TBullets, etc from my mod would be available in the GE.

Check your email, and take a look at the tutorial, I included lots of screenshots.

Lothmorg
x3

Post by Lothmorg » Sat, 28. May 05, 07:33

Wow! That was quick. :o
I'll check it out now.

Thanks. :D

Edit: That could be my problem. I unpacked everything and don't use the mod package. I'm thinking that is why X2E doesn't read all the extra stuff. Weird.
When I look at your x2_universe.xml file (in X2E), I see the new stuff as an interpretation of the raw data (t=6,s=291) and not the real name (200MW Shield Factory).
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”