Building sector maps

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Building sector maps

Post by Cursed Ghost » Fri, 30. Sep 22, 00:40

Hi all

Quick question in X2 there is a file called x2_universe.xml and inside there is listed all the coordinates for all objects in each sector and I’m wondering if there is something similar for X-Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension or is all the coordinate date hard coded into the executable in X-Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension and therefore inaccessible.

The reason I ask is because I was trying to figure out how to deal with all the asteroids that are off screen in Ore Belt in X-Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension because the low tech method that I used to construct the sector maps for those games wont work due to the fact that its not possible to get a screen shot of the stuff that is off screen as its not possible to scroll the map and therefore I can't use the overlay method.

Now I’m aware that if I target an object and tap F3 the coordinates for that object will be displayed so it is possible to gather the coordinate date for each sector by simply targeting each object in that sector and then activating the camera drone and noting down the coordinates, although this is incredibly slow tedious and error prone it would allow me to use a variation of the method that I’m using to construct the sector maps for X2 to get the positions of all the off screen asteroids in Ore Belt.

The issue I have with this though is that because I can’t see what I’m targeting it makes it extremely difficult to gather the coordinate data for off screen objects it also makes it difficult to know if I’ve scanned all the asteroids because unlike X2 when you open the sector map it doesn’t show asteroids in the right hand panel in X-Tension and in X-Beyond the Frontier the right hand panel of the nav map just doesn’t exist at all, so at the moment I’m at a bit of a loss as to how to tackle this irritating little problem.

now as you can see in this screen shot https://i.ibb.co/H73X07W/untitled.png

Currently I've scanned and positioned the 53 asteroids that are on screen and I'm just hiding the rest as I haven't yet figured out a way to get there coordinate date.

So the question is . . . is there another way I can access the coordinate data for off screen objects in X-tension and X-beyond the Fronter other then using the camera drone ?

Herman2000
x4

Re: Building sector maps

Post by Herman2000 » Mon, 7. Aug 23, 17:21

The Galaxy Map of X: Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension is respectively stored in the l\001.obj file, which is a compiled file of code.
There is a Russian-language Map Editor for X-Tension that tries to add to this file and can read from it pretty easily. See here: https://eg.df.ru/conference/viewtopic.p ... ac#3448983
coordinates are given in the game's internal unit format. 222 units = 1 meter.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”