Signal_attacked

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

kohlrak

Signal_attacked

Post by kohlrak » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 20:06

I'm having a heck of a time with that asteroid scanning mission, tried the camouflage script here, and that seems to be viable outside of that mission, but not in it. I wanted to rush through the story since it seems to be the tutorial for the game (weird construction, since alot of what you learn you have to go through before you learn about it). So i'm trying to cheese through it, trying to piece together what i'm supposed to learn from it, but certain scenarios are aggravating (i think the "secret reward" for the one mission managed to get randomly placed in a xenon sector, because i keep getting messages saying my property is under attack but none of it's getting damaged from what i can see when pressing R).

Anyway, to the point:

I'm trying to attach "retribution" SIGNAL_ATTACKED using connect ship command/signal, but I don't quite get the conditions for when it fires the signal. I figured anything that should attack me should end up triggering my debug popup telling me that i'm being hit. However, when my shields were getting low, i switched over to autofight, and i suddenly started getting my messages. I don't know if I have to not be in direct control of the ship, not in that sensor obscuring nebula, or if only hull damage counts. Anyone got any ideas?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 10:53

In contrast to the X3 games, X2 has dedicated tutorials which teach you the basic game functions and also allow you to train your combat skills before starting the game. These tutorials are available from the Simulator entry of the main menu.
With regards to the scanning mission in Ore Belt: Getting a fast ship to flee from the spawning Khaak more easily or to lure them away to nearby combat ships is a good idea. Alternatively, getting a better fight ship and training your combat skills may be a viable solution as well. Note that you can leave the campaign usually after/before, sometimes even in between missions and do something else (i.e. trading or doing missions to get more money and improve your equipment, or simply flying a bit around getting used to the controls of the game). After all, while some of the missions in the campaign may seem hard at first, none of them are impossible with proper preparation. Therefore, I suggest that before diving into the wonders of the Scripts and Modding forum, you ask for specific advice about the Vanilla game in the X Trilogy Universe forum first.

As for SIGNAL_ATTACKED, I never used it in X2: The Threat. For X3TC, ScRaT_GER (and others) collected some information about Signals in the MSCI reference forum here. There's of course a chance that things were different in X2.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 19:14

I figured no one was going to reply to this so i left it go. I ended up not getting my answer, but in the end I came up with an even more interesting solution (which is now deleted since i'm playing a game with only 2 convenience scripts installed, set to the default custom universe). I just felt swamped by the number of Khaak. So, i made a "Khaak EMP." Basically, i removed all weapons from all the Khaak ships. The attack signal was too unreliable. It seems to focus on you not actually controlling the ship (so you could use it if you went into autopilot), but it didn't work consistently. I'm betting it was the cooldown part. It did work on the khaak ships though, just not all the time.

It should also be noted that i get major FPS issues in some sectors. I'll probably play through the proper campaign again someday when i get a better computer, just to see if the asteroids mission (and the final mission) is as bad as it feels right now.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 19:43

for SIGNAL_ATTACKED it only fires after a certain number of attacks, and not every attack.

its possible it doesn't fire properly on the player ship, there were some bugs with signals not working correctly on the current player ship which got fixed in X3.
I cant remember which ones were effected though

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 00:51

Cycrow wrote:for SIGNAL_ATTACKED it only fires after a certain number of attacks, and not every attack.

its possible it doesn't fire properly on the player ship, there were some bugs with signals not working correctly on the current player ship which got fixed in X3.
I cant remember which ones were effected though
Well, that explains it. The khaak EMP i made was effective, though. I'm anxious to someday actually get to play X3. This is entertaining, but some of the differences I hear about are interesting.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”