About how many people are staying loyal to X2 here?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Graceburn

Post by Graceburn » Fri, 6. Jun 08, 14:22

hey man, be careful, we don't want too many screens of pandora out yet! and i am looking forward to the map, is this the one for pandora, or the piarte guild map?

@bobthemanofsteel: i am from aus too, does your REPLAY! version have a CD key? mine doesn't

SWAHILI!!!

Post by SWAHILI!!! » Fri, 6. Jun 08, 15:59

Well, we do have over 60 screenshots in the Pandora gallery, so I don't think I've revealed much! :D

I will talk to Chris about this being a possible alternate version of the map for Pandora, and I'm trying to decide whether or not the Piracy map should be for Pandora, too, or for Top GUn.

What do you think?
As they say, you wouldn’t want to boronificate your potassigastrous plutonimeter before it magnesorites.

Shadow dream
x3tc

Post by Shadow dream » Fri, 6. Jun 08, 16:34

I don't mind if you show screens here, cause of our public gallery, but the stuff in the map should stay unpublished until first release (for bigger surprise :D )
Wahre Gentlemen behalten sogar umzingelt von Löwen ihren Leitsatz: Ladies first.
Wann lernt die Gesellschaft endlich, dass Geld erst die Probleme macht, die wir haben?
[ external image ]
Topic - Gallery - Forum - Freiheit

SWAHILI!!!

Post by SWAHILI!!! » Fri, 6. Jun 08, 16:47

No problem, I'm just showing off the asteroids and the main stuff, no new ships, and the only new station I showed was a Federal Argon Installation.
As they say, you wouldn’t want to boronificate your potassigastrous plutonimeter before it magnesorites.

Graceburn

Post by Graceburn » Sat, 7. Jun 08, 12:59

that sounds OK, just try not to put new ships or stuff up, if anyone wants to get an early (very early, you'll be hungry for a while :wink: ) they can visit http://gallery.x2-pandora.de/ for a look, and that reminds me: have you seen a new UFO in action yet swahili? they look really cool, it was in brennan's triumph, and there was a massive pirate attack, so chris's scripts must be working, they had ships from almost all the races, including xenon, and they killed me when i was in the spacesuit. anyway, i changed the ufo to mine (cheatscript) and it wouldn't listen to me so i blew it up, and it had an argon 'NOOOOO!!!!' as usual. :D

Neeko
x3

Post by Neeko » Wed, 11. Jun 08, 22:27

I find both X2 and X3 to be fun to play, X2 I play when I don't want to thrash my computer, it's my slow, casual game X2 is. As for X3, when I feel like listening to my computer take off I'll play it, it's also my larking about game, cheat,s mods and other stuff so I can just simply wreak havoc lol

Cha0sLord11

Post by Cha0sLord11 » Sat, 14. Jun 08, 01:56

Of course!!

skkayman

Post by skkayman » Sat, 14. Jun 08, 16:46

Hello ppl :)
I was just going to preorder X3 but after reading this topic, I am now sure :) I am now thinking about buying X2 instead of X3 :))

What would you say, buy X2 or X3? X2 don't have special edition with t-shirt like X3..

SWAHILI!!!

Post by SWAHILI!!! » Sat, 14. Jun 08, 17:19

X2 kicks butt

The Trade Empire

Post by The Trade Empire » Sat, 14. Jun 08, 18:38

skkayman wrote:What would you say, buy X2 or X3? X2 don't have special edition with t-shirt like X3..
To be fair - X2 is generally considered to be easier to use and a bit more fun to play than X3. Although X3 allows the player to own a HQ (...and is more graphically advanced...), in X2 you can actually dock inside stations. Also (...from what i have heard...so i could be wrong on this...) X3 can take more playing time to really get through the game.
"Putting Profit before pleasure"

"WHAT??????"

adobis
x3tc

Post by adobis » Sat, 14. Jun 08, 18:53

I would add that the story line is more interesting in X2 than in X3 :P

The Trade Empire

Post by The Trade Empire » Sat, 14. Jun 08, 20:21

skkayman wrote:What would you say, buy X2 or X3?
In the interest of fairness tho....This is the :x2: forum....If you wrote in the X3 forum...you most likely get a different response! :P

"WHAT??????"

The_Vamp
x3

Post by The_Vamp » Sun, 15. Jun 08, 23:54

It's been a while since I have posted on this forum so let me give this question a crack if I may.

I LOVE(D) X2! It was one of the most original and immersive games I have ever played. Did it have issues? Of course, but they were manageable.

The day X3 came out, I bolted to the store and got my hands on a copy (Americans got their look at the game a bit after the other denizens of these forums). I installed the game and - well - what a piece of crap.

The game was unfinished, most of it didnt work, and heck, even the manual was completely wrong for the game (yeah, I was reading it trying to figure out what was wrong with the game). The interface sucked, the missions did not work, and promised elements (trader HQ) were not included in the game.

It was a big repeat of X2 with tons of bugs (I dont care about the pretty visuals). To say that I was pissed is an understatement. Ironically, I had avoided the forum discussion on X3 to save that "new" feeling, but after buying the product I went and had a peak. OMG, the community was outraged! I really thought Egosoft's forum servers were going to melt from all the flames.

Warp ahead a couple of years. First off, I need to give to the people who have continue to work on the X3 product kudos. You folks have done an incredible job pulling the X3 junk out of the rubble it was in.

X3 is now a pretty decent game but be prepared for:

1) The interface suck. Believe it or not, the X2 interface was cleaner and easier to use. The weak element of the X2 interface have not been improved, so large stations/ships/whatevers are still a pain to handle. Interface designer should be given a blindfold and shot.

2) Script are the only way to go. If you are playing this game unmodified, you must surely flog yourself in your spare time. Speed scripts are the most popular (after money) because X3 is actually slower than X2 (I didnt think it was possible, but its true).

3) Game elements (the plot) are stupid and still buggy as heck in X3 (strongly recommend avoiding).

4) Large scale engagement in both X2 and X3 are still hard to set up and stomach (OMG where are the fleet functions Egosoft and exactly how low can my FPS go). Its not your computer (it might be), its the code.

5) X3 lands on the outside of stations vs inside (the "oh crap where did they come from" trick of ducking into a station no longer works).

6) Ships carrying other ships in X3 is a bit odd if you have played X2.

7) more I am sure....

Bottom line, if you have X2 and someone hands you X3, sure jump in. If you are going to pay and have to choose between the two go X3. If you have/love X2 and are thinking about getting X3 with your hard earned cash - dont bother.

Hopefully the next incarnation will be better, but you can bet I will check these forums first.

The Trade Empire

Post by The Trade Empire » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 00:29

The_Vamp wrote:6) Ships carrying other ships in X3 is a bit odd if you have played X2.
Could you please explain what this means?

"WHAT??????"

The_Vamp
x3

Post by The_Vamp » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 00:38

The Trade Empire wrote:
The_Vamp wrote:6) Ships carrying other ships in X3 is a bit odd if you have played X2.
The types of ships that can be carried by other ships in X3 has been modified since X2. In X2 in comparison, a TL used to be able to carry a TS and TP class ships. In X3, I am not sure that any other class of ship could carry these things (I havent tried a carrier yet). In X2 I used to have a small fleet of TS in my mammoth holding energy cells as an example

Regards.

bounty_hunter66
x4

Post by bounty_hunter66 » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 01:22

Yeah i agree

X2 - classc, one of a kind! Superb game

X3 - appart from the graphics, rubbish

The Trade Empire

Post by The Trade Empire » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 02:43

The_Vamp wrote:
The Trade Empire wrote:
The types of ships that can be carried by other ships in X3 has been modified since X2. In X2 in comparison, a TL used to be able to carry a TS and TP class ships. In X3, I am not sure that any other class of ship could carry these things (I havent tried a carrier yet). In X2 I used to have a small fleet of TS in my mammoth holding energy cells as an example

Regards.
Ah!! i see!

Thank you kindly :x2:

"WHAT??????"

SWAHILI!!!

Post by SWAHILI!!! » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 03:22

X2 Kicks ass and will rock forever!!!

:x2: :thumb_up: :x2:

What'd you guys think about my sectors?

The_Vamp
x3

Post by The_Vamp » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 03:39

The Trade Empire wrote: Ah!! i see!

Thank you kindly :x2:
No worries. I used to set up a station with my TL and have everything needed onboard.

As an example, you would lay down a solar station, move ships to the base (which already had crystals in their belly), assign said ships to station, and set them off to keep the station running.

In more remote base areas it was nice to jump in a whole set up (xenon sectors that didnt have any other access as an example. Didn't we all try to establish a beach head in their territory?

Seriously, you could jump in a bunch without having to buy jumpers for every ship.... It was kind of nice.

Take care!

Graceburn

Post by Graceburn » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 04:51

Forgive father for i have sinned: i enjoyed the demo of x3. :lol: I would only buy x3 to continue the storyline, and check out the visuals. but i cannot seem to find it in any aussie stores. whats up with that? :lol:

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”