About how many people are staying loyal to X2 here?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

bounty_hunter66
x4

Post by bounty_hunter66 » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 01:22

Yeah i agree

X2 - classc, one of a kind! Superb game

X3 - appart from the graphics, rubbish

The Trade Empire

Post by The Trade Empire » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 02:43

The_Vamp wrote:
The Trade Empire wrote:
The_Vamp wrote:6) Ships carrying other ships in X3 is a bit odd if you have played X2.
Could you please explain what this means?
The types of ships that can be carried by other ships in X3 has been modified since X2. In X2 in comparison, a TL used to be able to carry a TS and TP class ships. In X3, I am not sure that any other class of ship could carry these things (I havent tried a carrier yet). In X2 I used to have a small fleet of TS in my mammoth holding energy cells as an example

Regards.
Ah!! i see!

Thank you kindly :x2:
"Putting Profit before pleasure"

"WHAT??????"

SWAHILI!!!

Post by SWAHILI!!! » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 03:22

X2 Kicks ass and will rock forever!!!

:x2: :thumb_up: :x2:

What'd you guys think about my sectors?
As they say, you wouldn’t want to boronificate your potassigastrous plutonimeter before it magnesorites.

The_Vamp
x3

Post by The_Vamp » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 03:39

The Trade Empire wrote: Ah!! i see!

Thank you kindly :x2:
No worries. I used to set up a station with my TL and have everything needed onboard.

As an example, you would lay down a solar station, move ships to the base (which already had crystals in their belly), assign said ships to station, and set them off to keep the station running.

In more remote base areas it was nice to jump in a whole set up (xenon sectors that didnt have any other access as an example. Didn't we all try to establish a beach head in their territory?

Seriously, you could jump in a bunch without having to buy jumpers for every ship.... It was kind of nice.

Take care!

Graceburn

Post by Graceburn » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 04:51

Forgive father for i have sinned: i enjoyed the demo of x3. :lol: I would only buy x3 to continue the storyline, and check out the visuals. but i cannot seem to find it in any aussie stores. whats up with that? :lol:

SWAHILI!!!

Post by SWAHILI!!! » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 05:34

*Gasp*!!!

You traitor!!

Jk! :lol: :P

I admit I tried the demo a little while back and I thought it was okay, but I heard that the actual game sucks
As they say, you wouldn’t want to boronificate your potassigastrous plutonimeter before it magnesorites.

Graceburn

Post by Graceburn » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 05:40

the demo crashed half the time i tried to do what they called 'dock' with a station, but the music was good

SWAHILI!!!

Post by SWAHILI!!! » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 06:03

I liked the music and the new ships, apart from that, not that much

Blown
x4

Post by Blown » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 11:25

Bah... There is no sin in testing X3... the instability in the demo is penance enough, the rolling demo crashed 2 out of 3 times for me, and the playable demo killed a windows install (curse you starforce Copy Protection!!!)
Do not trust the views of others... for they are based on their own preferences and experiences.

I can give you my views on X3 soon enough, but not yet, I've only just upgraded a computer enough to run it, and it hasn't arrived yet, but in the interim, I'll be building a massive economy to work from... anyone know how well those save game converters work???

as for the lack of it in stores... how long do those stores hold a game on their shelves?
Targeting and shooting Reds at every opportunity, and the occasional blue...

Thank you for your valuable assistance, we offer you a pittance in credits, and some goodwill for you covering for our incompetent defenses.

Please cease attacking our assets!

The Trade Empire

Post by The Trade Empire » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 11:27

Admittedly - the fact that you can link your stations together is rather cool! 8)

But the fact that the game is actually bigger (and slower!) then X2 is rather cool in one sense........but in another sense is just plain irritating!! :evil:

Combined with the fact that you cant dock at stations in the conventional sense and it is just frustrating!! :headbang:
"Putting Profit before pleasure"

"WHAT??????"

Chris Gi
x3tc

Post by Chris Gi » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 11:45

Blown wrote:There is no sin in testing X3 [...]
Do not trust the views of others...
Quite right. And there's no sin in liking X3 more than X2.
Best way is to check out X3 if your computer can handle it. There are some features I like more in X3, and some I'm missing. Some of the features I like are hated by others....

There is only one question: what fun do you get from playing? My answer is: I get more fun from X2, that's why I never finished X3 (I will, some time...).
--------------------------------

[ external image ]

Blown
x4

Post by Blown » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 11:48

interesting...

is there a big difference in the speed between the rolling demo, and the game?

I found that in X2, the fully patched game, actually ran faster than the demo.

Is it a similar case in X3?
Targeting and shooting Reds at every opportunity, and the occasional blue...

Thank you for your valuable assistance, we offer you a pittance in credits, and some goodwill for you covering for our incompetent defenses.

Please cease attacking our assets!

skkayman

Post by skkayman » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 18:19

hi
The Trade Empire: I figured it after I have posted a post. I found this topic by search :P

thanks for replies ;)
I tried demo of x2 and x3. X3 is a little slower :) But I don't think that I want to speed it up. It looks real to me now :P (but I just tried demo for ~15minutes, so the game should be later boring.) When I played Eve Online, I sometimes was reading a book when I need to fly to far distance. I set autopilot and it fly from one portal to another even 30 minutes :)))
What I do not like on x2 is cockpit. Maybe because I see less of very nice space outside. Or maybe it looks like space shooter like Freespace.. (btw, there is cockpit for X3! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zvhUBZO4Qg )
What I like on X2 is the menu. Just press button and use it without moving mouse! Impressing!! I don't understand why devs replaced it with icons on bottom..
I think that both games have pros and cons. And it should be better to buy newer. maybe.. :)
Why I started to think about X2 was that story in X3 should be a little continous from X2, so I can miss some things.
But what I readed here (and other topics), story is bad. So if I wouldn't play it, I won't miss anything.
I am not afraid of bugs, LGP is working on X3 for a few years now and they have time (yeah, I am linux fanatic and play only linux games). They will release it when it is finished and that is the best thing for the game (I was working in one game studio, so I know what is deadline. Even if you know a lot bugs and there is no time for repair them, you have to choose the most important... :/ )

Btw, how is the fullgameplay similiar to demogameplay?

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 18:54

I own both but X2 runs amazingly smoother and is more basic. X3 i find too advanced not as in option wise but all together. still the Terran ships do kick teladi ass. But X2 is the dominant best for killing Teladi lol.

adobis
x3tc

Post by adobis » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 19:14

What'ssss the problem with Teladi?
Do you wanna Ceo to come right now? :mrgreen:

I never tried the demo of X3 because it'd have taken me too much time to download :shock:

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 19:27

Teladi Pilot: Teladi requestsssss creditssss.
Lord Dakier: Who the hell are you?
Teladi Pilot: Teladi requestsssss creditssss.
Lord Dakier: Here ya go beggar!
Teladi Pilot: Teladi requestsssss your ship.
Lord Dakier: I just give you some credits now you want my ship.
Teladi Pilot: Teladi requestsssss your ship.
Lord Dakier: Ah hell naa.
Teladi Pilot: Teladi requestsssss you stop attacking.
Lord Dakier: Stop the damn requests!
Teladi Pilot 2: Teladi shall shoot down your ship with thissssss M6'ssssss.
Lord Dakier: That's a TS :wink:
Teladi Pilot 2: Teladi gave good profit for thissssss M6'ssssss.
Lord Dakier: Yeah but it's a TS.
Teladi Pilot 2: Teladi know give you death.
Lord Dakier: That's what the Split are meant to say?
Teladi Pilot 2: Teladi Pilot asks which button fires the laser?
Lord Dakier: Oh brother... the big red one saying self-destruct... its english for 'kill everything'.
Teladi Pilot: Teladi thanks you for your time.

Thats why I hate them. Annoying space gorms lol.

SWAHILI!!!

Post by SWAHILI!!! » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 19:30

Sure, that's how it happened! :lol:

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Mon, 16. Jun 08, 19:33

It must of had something to do with the Xenon war me and the Teladi had inside the sectors. I was aiming at the Xenon lol.

The_Vamp
x3

Post by The_Vamp » Tue, 17. Jun 08, 08:29

Okay, an update from me on X3.

I was looking for something to play and came across a rather dusty copy of X3 that I had tossed aside figuring once they patched the hell out of it, well, we would give it a whirl....

What is this, something like two years later? Okay, the game runs quite smoothly on my system, but OMG the ship speeds are so very awful slow. Wonder why that is? Speed them up a bit and it sounds like fireworks as they crash repeatedly into one another. The AI is so poorly written they had to slow down the ships to keep the blood bath to a minimum.

Bugs. I have to admit that I was on the lookout for bugs in this game, and like turning a rock over, the popped out everywhere. The docking system sucks (pretty much anything in system sucks) and whoa, what a difference compared to OOS.

I bought two TLs (mammoth) and sent them to the EQ dock in their respective systems (argon prime and light of heart). I was watching the Mammoth in Argon Prime (In Sector), while I watch the pretty dot at Light of Heart (Out Of Sector). Light of Heart docked in thirty second flat, I think the Argon Prime Mammoth is still trying to dock. The Out of System and In System mechanic are truly messed up (while this was true with X2 as well, OMG X3 freaking took that little bugginess made it one big fat monster).

While the graphics in X3 are nicer (the HQ addition was the only reason I picked the game up again to be honest), the game engine, interface, and overall game enjoyability factor are all inferior to X2.

Just looking at the forums as an example, the X3 scripting forum is relatively dead (feel free to see my posts on the buggy nature of their scripting process *ughhh*). The X2 scripting forum is still alive and kicking (more so that its X3 brother....

Egosoft, just ripped X3 off my system again, could you please add a player HQ to X2? Thank you so much!

Bottomline again ---> X3 sucks. For those that have been playing X2 and waiting for the opportunity for X3, remember I warned you.

SWAHILI!!!

Post by SWAHILI!!! » Tue, 17. Jun 08, 16:11

Well, Harlock has added a Starbase to Top Gun 3.0 (not out yet), but it can't move, has extremely powerful shielding, dangerous weapons, and an office, so you could say that the Starbase is the Player HQ in Top Gun,

And there probably will be a Player HQ in Pandora, but whether or not it'll be a ship or a station, we don't know yet.

So, just keep updating on Top Gun, Harlock hasn't posted for a while, but he said he was real busy with RL stuff and modding, so he'll probably give us a big update soon.

But yes, there will be Player HQs in both of the most popular X2 mods!

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”