Station Manager getting stucked, detected cases

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Farnham's Legacy

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

CheloDeAstora
x3fl

Station Manager getting stucked, detected cases

Post by CheloDeAstora » Mon, 24. Jul 23, 22:23

Hello, I have detected two cases in which the station manager gets stucked in trading stations and equipment docks.
All wares are set to "Tradeable" and there are two or more wares being traded.

Case 1:
There is no more space for one of the wares in the trading station. The managed ship in charge of buying this ware can't unload all the buyed stock. The station manager seems to "wait" until there is space for unloading the ware. This can take some time or simply never happen. Meanwhile, the station manager stops assigning new tasks to other managed ships.

Case 2:
A managed ship is in charge of selling a ware, but there is not a station in range to sell this ware, or if there is one place where to sell then it is at full capacity. The station manager seems to "wait" until there is a place where it can actually sell the ware. This can take some time or simply never happen. Meanwhile, the station manager stops assigning new tasks to other managed ships.

There are workarounds for both cases.

Workaround for case 1: Make sure that the trading station's ware stock never gets full for too long. Basically, make that ware flow constantly in any other way helps.

Workaround for case 2: Increase the selling range so the station manager can find another place where to sell the wares.

The positive side:
Once the player understand the causes and cases in which the station manager gets stucked, it is pretty easy to find a solution. So getting stucked is actually not the problem. In fact, whenever I discover a station manager stucked, it was because an error in my trading strategy, eg.: selling a ware where hardly anyone buys it. So it is very helpful when determining what was the error in my trading strategy, thus I can fix it. Getting stucked can actually be considered a feature.

The real problem:
The station manager does not say anything when it gets stucked. So you can actually spend several hours conquering the universe just to later discover that a subset of your trading stations have been slacking and absorbing your credits like parasytes.

The proposed solution:
After two or three payments to the station manager without positive income inbetween send a message to the player indicating the particular ware why it stopped. This will also help new players who try to use the station manager at first, but then abbandon it because it got "stucked".

So far, the station manager, as it is, has done a great work for me, it pushed me up to super-magnate in an enjoyable way trading only in 3 or 4 clusters. I think I will get X-treme thanks to this tool if I decide to build more trading stations with station managers in other clusters. I write this with the hope other players also have fun with it.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy - Scripts and Modding”