[Discussion] Generic Galaxy Editing Questions

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Farnham's Legacy

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

alexalsp
x4

Re: [Discussion] Generic Galaxy Editing Questions

Post by alexalsp » Sat, 13. Nov 21, 17:45

And it is better to use not the main text file, but your own, so that all your changes are in one text file and pilots could easily find and translate them into another language if necessary.

For example call the file 9800.xml or 6000.xml

Specify new identifiers for your sectors, etc.
Last edited by alexalsp on Sun, 14. Nov 21, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 13. Nov 21, 23:25

Realspace wrote:
Sat, 13. Nov 21, 14:56
In conclusion, say I want to make a new sector called "Menelaus' Frontier beta" I make a new unique id number at the bottom, like this example:

Code: Select all

<t id="1024093">{7,1020104} {12,101}(Menelaus' Frontier beta)</t>
where '1024093' is the next number possible after the last (Xenon hub) and '102104' the id of Menelaus' Frontier in vanilla and '101' the id for 'beta'
then in the map I use the '1024093' as custom name
Correct. Would advise to create pairings with sector descriptions so that you have then always grouped, thus you would add 1034093 in page 19 even if its just a reference ( as in {19,whatever number}) to an existing description ID.
alexalsp wrote:
Sat, 13. Nov 21, 17:45
And it is better to use not the main text file, but your own, so that all your changes are in one text file and you can easily find and translate them into another language if necessary.
While this is true, its important to note that any text file with own number would require a script to load it for the text to work ingame.

MFG

Ketraar

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 15. Nov 21, 12:22

Thank you guys, I think I want to follow the added file route, to keep max compatibility, since I just want to add sectors so I'll only touch the page 390007 for sector names and the page 390019 for Sector descriptions. I'll recall the new names in the X3_universe.xml so I just have to ADD names, not change existing ones
Could you please provide a line of code to create such a script?
(suppose it's quite standard, but I never implemented scripts for x3)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 15. Nov 21, 12:44

you can load a text file via either the MD or a script.

to do it from a script, just create a new script, name it setup.* (IE setup.realspace). Any script starting with .setup are automatically run when loading a modified game

then add the command, load text: id:={fileid}
the fileid being the 4 digit id of your filename, which would be XXXX-L044.xml (for english). XXXX being the fileid

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 09:07

Thank you it works perfectly. Also it allows to turn on/off the new names by loading the script or not. Only I had to create it in-game, since it does not recognize a file made externally (by me).
Another naive question. I noticed some sectors have no planets in the vanilla map. I know stations etc. can be added by scripts, are you adding planets dynamically in some sector too? Also, are you adding sectors that are not in the map? Mean not even in the x3_universe.xml not the 749? Just to be sure, I am aiming at max vanilla compatibility

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 10:32

You can add planets via scripts, but its more cumbersome, best is to load the map file in teh ingame galaxy editor and add them there as you then can see how they will look. Dont forget to export your changes before quiting.

MFG

Ketraar

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 11:19

In FL everything is done via the map, even things that were done via scripts in TC/AP like the Trade Software MK3 are done via the map in FL

The only sector that isn't is the one in the bottom corner used for unfocused jumpdrive and custom start. But the Unfocused drive is not in vanilla anyway

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 21:02

Thank you guys. No I don't want to add planets via scripts, I was asking to avoid me doing some changes directly on the map IF scripts are used later that add planets or move. But fortunally this is not the case.

I am at a good completion, about 70% of the map redone. Made +120 custom planets for making each sector unique.

Cycrow, right now I am in the middle of working on HOLY VISION and THE VOID. I noticed the greek letters make not much sense there, alpha being not core and not orbital but distant. Is there any reason for that? Any changing script happening later in the plot? I ask bc I'd like to make them match the usual orbital sectors' patter.

Also, I am doing new sectors and connections, moving some too. There are inactive gates in the map. Are they reactivated later in the game or are just decorative? I ask bc some sectors have changed cohordinates, just in case any script will search for them later..

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 11:43

Ok this is my last question 😅
It's about the Xenon hub. I use the spoiler..
Spoiler
Show
it contains special gates but seems that only N and S gates are randomly connected, right? I've done other hub-like sectors I'd like to connect to it, so can I use the inactive (labeled with a X) W and E special gates?
In order to have all compatible with vanilla
Last edited by Realspace on Tue, 23. Nov 21, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 12:22

The HUB gates are placed via MD in the 3.08 Sector Management.xml under HUB Gates. If you created multiple HUBs all you have to do is copy & paste that whole cue and rename it to be unique (cue name and all the object reference names) and adjust the coordinates to where your other HUB is. There could be a way to automate this to find and place HUB gates for whatever amount of HUBs there are in the map but it may be just more complicated to explain then to just use the c&p method.

MFG

Ketraar

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 20:15

Thank you! Let's say I want to make the connections STATIC so just to connect the other hubs to the xenon hub, am I right at saying that W and E special gates remain always unused so I can use those as static connections to my new hubs?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 21:42

Well when the hub is given the the player, they will be able to change all 3 gate sets

All 3 are used during the plot too

For sandbox starts, only the first set is linked until acquired by the player

electricsponge

Post by electricsponge » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 12:32

I'm trying to figure out how to edit the 00749.bod file. According to "Northstars X3 Modding for Beginners V1.6" ( https://vdocuments.mx/x3-modding-guide.html ), there should be two types of nodes: one with a pair of x/y coordinates for a sector, and one with two pairs of coordinates for a line joining two sectors. Since I generated a 480-sector map with MapTools_V2 ( viewtopic.php?f=94&t=299553 ), there should be 480 sector nodes and 1832 line nodes, but I see that there are additional nodes that appear to have three coordinates (just 3, not 3 pairs), like this:

P 10; B 10103; N B10103; b
{ 0x2002; 800; -17500; 0; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; 1; } // 0

What are these? Can I get rid of them? Also, x3_universe.xml starts at (0,0) but 00749.bod seems to start at (1,1), so is every coordinate moved over by one in both axes?

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 12:51

electricsponge wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 12:32
Also, x3_universe.xml starts at (0,0) but 00749.bod seems to start at (1,1), so is every coordinate moved over by one in both axes?
Yes that's unfortunately the case.
electricsponge wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 12:32
P 10; B 10103; N B10103; b
{ 0x2002; 800; -17500; 0; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; 1; } // 0

What are these? Can I get rid of them?
The bod contains 3 sets of info, 1 for the Name, 1 for the sector square and (up to) 4 for the connection lines, you need them all. At least thats how I recall it, its been a while since I manually edited a bod as I used the Map tool mostly as its way more efficient unless you like to add "depth" to the map (I prefer the flat layout).

MFG

Ketraar

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 16:38

Thanks for the help guys, I've finally managed to complete the map and all models. I am proud to say that not one planet is repeated in any sector (sortof), that every sector is unique for atmosphere and music, etc. That the universe has expanded (hopefully) following the lore and concept of FL. I've developed a new idea of how the universe should be connected, gave explanations in sector's descriptions, without renouncing at jumpdrives but they are very limited. Well, just take a look ;-)
https://www.nexusmods.com/x3terranconflict/mods/118
p.s. the music from Litcube is needed:
http://litcube.xtimelines.net/redirect. ... ZoNTQ/view
Btw if the author reads, I'd ask permission to include the specific tracks I used in my map in the next update, with full credits oc

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 21. Dec 21, 12:22

Sorry to bother again but I am facing a very strange issue I think comes form the many sectors added: starting a game makes some sector or gate disappear.
So I reduced the sectors in the map but the problem still happens, not sectors anymore yet some gate still disappears.
It seems related to some shortage of memory in the SAVE file because it happens in late game after some savings. :evil:
Or could it be something else? :gruebel:
Thanks

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 21. Dec 21, 12:52

What do you mean disappear? Not aware of any thing related to that, thought is been a while. How many gates have you added?

MFG

Ketraar

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 21. Dec 21, 13:37

Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 21. Dec 21, 12:52
What do you mean disappear? Not aware of any thing related to that, thought is been a while. How many gates have you added?

MFG

Ketraar
They are no more, it happens randomly, not always the same sector. I check the map ingame using the cheat script and large-scan satellites added to any sector that covers thousands of kms, and warping where the gate was supposed to be. Mostly are TOA but many more gates are TOA in my map. So I checked for any inconsistency, like a TOA connecting to a regular gate, but no. The map is ok, gate system is validated. As told if I reveal the map at the beginning of the game, the map is ok (it was not in my initial largest map). After some saving this issue happens. It was worse in my last map, where I used almost all the sectors available (472 max?), then I deleted some sector and it happens less, still in 2 or 3 max randomly. It seems related to the savings, as if they don't store all informations (my guess)

EDIT:
Tested again a new game, sometime misses one or two gate (TOA). Start again, eventually all gates are ok. Save it. Reload, MANY gates (TOA) are no more.
At better look also in a fresh start, most Access Points are no more (warping to them, no signal), many gates missing. It definetly seems a memory issue expecially when saving. Like the map is too big to be loaded/saved correctly. :evil:
Nothing of this happens in Galaxy Editor, where everything is at place

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 21. Dec 21, 21:19

So, I finally figured out the 3.10 RSM HSAP Management was doing its job on my map by making gates not discoverable
This thing was driving me mad, I changed the map so may times, started new game, again... :doh:
Any code to make all HASAP discoverable in 3.10 RSM HSAP Management? please..

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy - Scripts and Modding”