X2 the threat LFL Crash - Resolved by sound driver clean up.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jefferz90s
x3ap

X2 the threat LFL Crash - Resolved by sound driver clean up.

Post by jefferz90s » Sun, 7. Nov 21, 21:31

Hi,

I saw an old post but as it was dead thought it would be more appropriate to create a new one rather than post on an old one. I have been enjoying a new play through in years on X2 the Threat and I am experiencing the ctd in the cut scene after you get the LFL. There are a few suggested ways to resolve this but none seem to be 100% reliable for anyone nor work for me but wondering if anyone else has experienced this, have any fixe or if unable to fix I am happy to share my save to get past it hahaha. Other cutscenes and such have worked fine until this point, any suggestions are much appreciated. Is it just the game is getting so hold it is just starting to become a real pain to run on modern systems?

The DxDiag is so big I have had to share below because of character limits.

In the meantime I will carry on building up my ships and wealth! The game runs absolutely fine as long as I don't progress to the cutscene.
Last edited by jefferz90s on Mon, 8. Nov 21, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X2 the threat LFL Crash

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 8. Nov 21, 09:16

Thanks for the DxDiag. The only real issue I can see with it (apart from all the generic X2.exe AppCrash reports that do little to help narrow down the cause) is that you have two sound devices and drivers on the go at the same time, Nvidia and Realtek, and that the Realtek driver is incomplete or corrupt. Disable the sound device and driver that you do not use in Control Panel, Device Manager, Sound/Audio Devices (right-click on a device in the list for a disable/enable pop-up).

If you keep the Realtek device then download and clean install the latest appropriate sound driver from the Realtek site; HD Audiocodec R2.82 is the latest I believe.

If that doesn't help then maybe try changing some of your resolution settings, and your graphics settings in-game and/or in your Nvidia control panel, to see if any setting in particular is vulnerable for the issue.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jefferz90s
x3ap

Re: X2 the threat LFL Crash

Post by jefferz90s » Mon, 8. Nov 21, 13:00

Messed with the Audio and sorted the driver and the game works lovely now. Strange how it seems to only impact on/from this cutscene!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X2 the threat LFL Crash - Resolved by sound driver clean up.

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 8. Nov 21, 18:25

Good to hear. You'd be amazed how sensitive XP era DirectSound games are to sound codec and sound driver issues. Enjoy the game.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”