Ship Capture Guide: X2 Version 2 (Updated for 1.4)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Thu, 3. Jun 04, 21:50

AI uses a keyboard?

Maybe I don't need a joystick to rise to greatness after all. :wink:

Keyboards Rock!

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 3. Jun 04, 21:55

Actually my keyboard sucks. Cant stand typing on it and its probably only because I'm used to it for gaming that it doesn't drive me round the bend....

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Thu, 3. Jun 04, 21:58

I'm used to it for gaming that it doesn't drive me round the bend....
Maybe I will get a joystick after all...

This is the only game where I don't use a mouse/ mouse and keyboard combination.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 3. Jun 04, 22:00

I actually like using the keyboard its just the one I use that I seriously dislike :roll:

Al
X2 Capture Guide

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Thu, 3. Jun 04, 22:02

I actually like using the keyboard its just the one I use that I seriously dislike
:?

Yeah... That makes LOADS of sense...

You're losing it AI... :P

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 3. Jun 04, 22:04

OK perhaps I should have said:

In general I actually like using keyboards, its just the one I use that I seriously dislike!

Better? :p

Al

PS I'm at work where I've been since 8am and I haven't stopped yet. I dont know anything about nothing except I'm hungry :(
X2 Capture Guide

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Thu, 3. Jun 04, 22:14

I get it now. :P

Warpedshark
x2

Post by Warpedshark » Thu, 3. Jun 04, 23:06

I like keyboards because of the precise-ness of them.
Sweet guide Al I read it ages ago and neva bothered to reply in my eagerness to do sum capping. Now that i am a fairly decent capper i have returned.
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

IvanT
x4

Post by IvanT » Fri, 4. Jun 04, 00:06

Great to see you giving X2 a piece of your legendary capturing skills Al..

Looking forward to seeing how you handle the might of X2 v1.4.. let us know how you get on.. ;) You think things are easy for you now.. ... .... :P
--
IvanT
Author/Scriptwriter

lighty68
x3

Post by lighty68 » Sun, 6. Jun 04, 02:23

:evil:i wish i read this 2 weeks ago,i cannot believe the amount of ships i have destroyed to capture a few .right im off to make some moolah,centaur here i come and many thanks.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 6. Jun 04, 14:45

Anyone tried capping in a Dragon??

The number of times I have heard the pilot about to bail and then they blow up in a ball of hot plasma.

I have been considering getting a bunch of mass drivers for capping ships in my Dragon. Anyone got any experience with this?
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Sun, 6. Jun 04, 15:05

IvanT wrote:Great to see you giving X2 a piece of your legendary capturing skills Al..

Looking forward to seeing how you handle the might of X2 v1.4.. let us know how you get on.. ;) You think things are easy for you now.. ... .... :P
Long time no see Ivan :)

I look forward to the challenge of 1.4! I have stopped using Ions for most of my capturing as it has been driving me nuts just constantly firing away aftre getting them down to 87% hull. I'm currently trying out using hepts to keep the shields down but trying not to damage the hull too much is difficult. I need to get some low power lasers installed in my Nova.

Mind you its all irrelevant at the moment as until I figure out why the Pc keeps crashing I aint going to get much playing time.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Sun, 6. Jun 04, 15:08

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Anyone tried capping in a Dragon??

The number of times I have heard the pilot about to bail and then they blow up in a ball of hot plasma.

I have been considering getting a bunch of mass drivers for capping ships in my Dragon. Anyone got any experience with this?
I believe PJK did a lot of capping in a Dragon but I might be mistaken. The problem of having ships with turrets is that you can stop firing at will but they will continue until the ship becomes friendly and at this point there can easily be enough shots in flight to destroy an unshielded ship.

Perhaps using the strafe drive as soon as you see/hear the ship becoming yours might help. Or perhaps installing lower power lasers in the turrets?

Al
X2 Capture Guide

jaketus

Post by jaketus » Sun, 6. Jun 04, 19:05

I too upgraded from 1.0 to 1.3 and was stunned about the change to capturing. Actually this change totally ruined the game for me. After playing like a maniac for 2 weeks and gotten really hooked into the game and specially to capping I did the patching and after that its been a week since I last played and no hurry back. Attacked a pirate base, shot ~15 ships below 87% and proceeded to do the Ion thingie and after 1,5h got one mandalay and one bayamon while I was going after&targeting the Orinocos = boring as hell, no fun whatsoever. Tried capturing for about 5h and results were about nonexistent.

Is there any script/cheat/whatever to make the capturing the same in 1.3 as it was in 1.0? If not then I guess thats it then for me and x2 :(
If someone finds it fun playing 1h to get a single capture then Im happy for them but for me it isnt. The positive side is of course that my fast evolved addiction to X2 was wiped out in a flash after the upgrade. Hopefully 1.4 does something to this so I guess Ill just wait for that unless I find some other way to make the capping fun again.

Captain_Elson
x2

Post by Captain_Elson » Sun, 6. Jun 04, 21:51

Al I need Help with my capturing.
A.I'm so poor i can't afford a Ion
B. My combo is 1 GIRE, 1GPAC on a buster (3 5MW)
C. when i get cash my Sector trade uses it (trying to build capital for a factory)
Any Advice for this newbie to your capture kingdom? besides restart cause i'm on start # 1999 :(

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Sun, 6. Jun 04, 22:24

Advice? Yeah plenty. Firstly probably the most important thing to do is get the buster upgraded to max speed asap. 15Mw shields is plenty as long as you can stay out of the fire most of the time.

What I'd recommend is heading to Split Fire and docking at a station and saving. There should be plenty of pirate traffic coming through that sector. I'd stay away from pirate ships as the turret will make life difficult in that ship at the moment. Try and find a small group of pirate fighters and provided they are reasonably far away head towards and save at the closest station.

Now select your target carefully, making sure its not the lead ship in the group. this will normally be the heaviest fighter (but no always). Pick a ship from the back of the group preferably a Mandalay to start with. Get in behind the group and in a position to get a clear shot at your target. Now its time to make your move. Close in a little more and fire at it. Try and get the shields down on the first pass although this doesn't matter too much. Move away from the group and you should find that the rest carry on without attacking.

Now the most important part is to try and avoid its fire. Its probably going to be relatively quick although you should have the edge on it. Everytime it comes in to attack move so that it misses and then turn to get on its tail. If its a slow ship make sure you drop your speed accordingly.

Once you are behind you want to fire enough to get the shields down and then damage the hull a little. The golden number is 87% and at any time after this there is a random chance of the pilot bailing out. Get the shields down and try not to damage the hull too much. You might want to switch to just the IRE at this point. Let the shields build back up a little and then take them down again. If the hull gets too damaged its best to kill it odd and then find another target.

The other alternative is to use missiles. a single wasp will strip the shields on a Mandalay and 2 will do the same for a Bayamon. Then get in quick with the IRE and see how you get on.

Good luck

HTH

Al
X2 Capture Guide

gmac
x2

Post by gmac » Tue, 8. Jun 04, 04:44

So is it possible to capture corvettes like the centaur?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 8. Jun 04, 08:44

gmac wrote:So is it possible to capture corvettes like the centaur?
Nothing larger than an M3 can be captured in the normal course of events. The only exception is the Xenon K--when you get one spawned as part of a "Please help me escape the Xenon!" BBS mission, THOSE are capturable. Normal ones aren't.

WPI2010
x2

Post by WPI2010 » Wed, 16. Jun 04, 00:36

I can get their hull down to 60% and they refuse to eject. I've tried this a dozen times now and they just dont leave their ship. What am I doing wrong???

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 16. Jun 04, 08:47

Goa'uld killer wrote:I can get their hull down to 60% and they refuse to eject. I've tried this a dozen times now and they just dont leave their ship. What am I doing wrong???
Not being patient enough, or else not taking on enough targets at once. For example, if I shoot up a pirate base with, say, 30 assorted ships inside, I can expect to capture maybe half of them before I get so bored with trying that I blow the rest up and move on--that will take about 3/4 hour of near continuous Ion Disruptor blasting, too!

If you're lucky (as I was last night), you can get a ship to bail on the first pass. (Got a Boron Barracuda with 2 BHEPTs intact which is going to do duty as my capping ship from now on!). Otherwise it can take AGES...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”