[X2] Finishing X2

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fig
x2

[X2] Finishing X2

Post by fig » Fri, 25. Jun 21, 14:01

I have decided to record the final stages of my X2 game. I've made a YouTube channel and I will try to record about an hours worth of playing each month. If you like, you can follow my progress as I attempt to complete my final goal of fixing the economy. I have made 3 episodes so far.

You'll probably be able to tell that I don't really plan anything in my game and I don't normally make YouTube videos. I'm just making it up as I go along. Hopefully, you will find some of it interesting, and you might find it amusing when I screw things up! I reckon I'll still be playing X2 for at least another year or so. Maybe then I will be able to move on!

My YouTube channel is here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmO2aB ... oNbnvtok0g

Jimmyjamjohnson42
x4

Re: [X2] Finishing X2

Post by Jimmyjamjohnson42 » Mon, 12. Jul 21, 19:26

how would you even fix the economy? whats your final plan
I play X2 a lot, possibly too much.
800 hours and counting :P

fig
x2

Post by fig » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 13:12

Well, energy and food are in short supply everywhere, so the first part of the plan is to deal with that. There are plentry of silicon asteroids in the game, so it can be done.
The second part of the plan is to provide enough secondary resources to each of the regions in the galaxy. Unfortunately, I can't control whether the NPC freighters will actucally come and buy them and I can't stop my UTs from buying them and taking them elsewhere though. The best I can do is to provide the resources and hope that it will work. You can buy factories from anywhere and build factories anywhere in X2, but I don't want to do it like that. I am imagining that the X universe is a bit like the situation we have in real life. Certain products can only be produced in certain locations (think of Champagne, for example), so I am building trading docks in each region with advanced traders that will buy the required secondary resources from 8-12 sectors away and bring them to the trading dock. So far, it is coming along nicely but it's going to take a very long time to get to the point where I will be able to consider it finished!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 22:31

Jimmyjamjohnson42 wrote:
Mon, 12. Jul 21, 19:26
how would you even fix the economy?
X2 has very static setup. The location of every NPC factory is known. The only thing that can change the "landscape" is something, player or Xenon, destroying NPC factories. Those are permanent changes -- losses.

Given that we know every consumer and producer, we could calculate the maximum throughput that the system as a whole would have, if every NPC station were "perfectly" supplied. From it follows also which resources have shortages; more consumers than production capacity.

The maximum consumption in the X-Universe is the consumption at Equipment Docks, Trading Stations, and all the secondary resource consumers. Furthermore, ships do get lost and hence their cargo is an additional, harder to estimate sink.

A "plan" could thus (A) arrange logistics to keep everything rolling as fast as possible, and (B) produce the "missing" resources.
fig wrote:
Sun, 25. Jul 21, 13:12
... the point where I will be able to consider it finished!
This. Player decides what is "broken" and what would "fix" it.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Jimmyjamjohnson42
x4

Post by Jimmyjamjohnson42 » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 18:01

jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 25. Jul 21, 22:31
Jimmyjamjohnson42 wrote:
Mon, 12. Jul 21, 19:26
how would you even fix the economy?
X2 has very static setup. The location of every NPC factory is known. The only thing that can change the "landscape" is something, player or Xenon, destroying NPC factories. Those are permanent changes -- losses.

Given that we know every consumer and producer, we could calculate the maximum throughput that the system as a whole would have, if every NPC station were "perfectly" supplied. From it follows also which resources have shortages; more consumers than production capacity.

The maximum consumption in the X-Universe is the consumption at Equipment Docks, Trading Stations, and all the secondary resource consumers. Furthermore, ships do get lost and hence their cargo is an additional, harder to estimate sink.

A "plan" could thus (A) arrange logistics to keep everything rolling as fast as possible, and (B) produce the "missing" resources.
fig wrote:
Sun, 25. Jul 21, 13:12
... the point where I will be able to consider it finished!
This. Player decides what is "broken" and what would "fix" it.
Ah right, thanks for explaining.
I play X2 a lot, possibly too much.
800 hours and counting :P

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”