X3:TC/AP - (not) New vanilla trick using transporter / jumpdrive

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

glenmcd
x3tc

X3:TC/AP - (not) New vanilla trick using transporter / jumpdrive

Post by glenmcd » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 13:15

hi all,
it's been quite some time that I've been on the forums here, however I've been playing both AP and TC constantly! The trick I have for you today requires a transporter device and a jumpdrive. The situation is that you have some ship that doesn't have a jumpdrive, but you really need to get into some other sector quickly. Assume this is an Octopus M5, which can't even use a jumpdrive. In the same sector you are in some ship (assume it's a Mercury TS) that has a jumpdrive, and sufficient ECs for the jump you require. You can jump both ships (in two steps), if you want this then again ensure you have sufficient ECs to jump each ship.

This loophole takes advantage of the delay while transferring between two ships using transporter device (which can be in either ship). This delay is around one second. You are initially in the Mercury (it has jumpdrive and ECs), and you are targeting the Octopus so you can transport yourself to it quickly at the required time. First, start the jump sequence and listen carefully to the countdown. When she says "jumping", quickly hit the key to transport yourself to the Octopus. You should see the animations for both a jump and a transport happen at same time. The screen will then black out. When it comes back, you should be in the Octopus, in the destination sector! If you have sufficient ECs in the Mercury, you still have the jumpdrive in it, so you are free to command it to jump to you if you so desire.

Enjoy!
Glen

update: thanks Alan for confirming this was already known. It was still fun finding it the long way! :)
Last edited by glenmcd on Wed, 17. Mar 21, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3:TC/AP - New vanilla trick using transporter / jumpdrive

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 13:40

I'd argue about the new in the thread title. :wink: That's an old exploit trick well-known and used successfully to defeat an XUFQ quiz conundrum set by myself a long while back. :D

It is particularly useful in getting lots of ships back from UFJD sectors into real space where you would otherwise be unable to keep them! (PS: I didn't tell you that!)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Re: X3:TC/AP - (not) New vanilla trick using transporter / jumpdrive

Post by Cursed Ghost » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 00:57

I've got a variation of that exploit that allows you to jump 2 ships with 1 jump drive transfer the jump drive and e-cells to the second ship and order it to jump while the jump is counting down open the cargo transfer window and select to beam the jump drive back on board the ship you are on but don't hit enter just yet wait for the other ship to complete its jump and then quickly hit enter to beam the jump drive back to the ship that you are on as long as you time the transfer precisely the ship will complete it jump but the jump drive will end up on the ship you are piloting

this is really helpful for recovering captured ships I can transfer the jump drive and e-cells from my hyperion to the captured ship jump the captured ship to the nearest ship yard and then quickly transfer the jump drive back to my hyperion after the captured ship has completed its jump

you do need to be precise with the transfer though to soon and the captured ship wont complete its jump to late and you wont be able to beam the jump drive back to the ship you are piloting.

glenmcd
x3tc

Re: X3:TC/AP - (not) New vanilla trick using transporter / jumpdrive

Post by glenmcd » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 03:18

Thanks. I've used that one, and found that a keyboard macro helped enormously with the timing. Pretty much nails it every time. I'm still using the Logitech G19 k/b.
Glen

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”