X:BtF & X-T (Windows 10 & Steam) Static Audio

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ScifiGuy7
x3ap

X:BtF & X-T (Windows 10 & Steam) Static Audio

Post by ScifiGuy7 » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 17:35

CODE RED! Request for assistance please.

X: Beyond the Frontier V2.2 - audio is hissing static.

Changing to the correct audio device doesn't result in any change. Still hissing static. Same results in X-Tension.
Using a standard Microsoft audio driver as motherboard was manufactured prior to Windows 10. Audio on all of my other games works fine with this driver.

[ F8 > Sound Setting > Advanced ]
Selecting this menu at any resolution over 1080p, even if no other selection is made, results in a visit to Task Manager. If this menu is selected in 'Full Screen' mode then Task Manager cannot be accessed, resulting in a full system reset.

Also of note, X-Tension will not run in a test window with 16 bit colour, even when reduced colour mode is selected in exe properties. X:BtF runs fine in a test window with 16 bit colour when reduced colour mode is selected in exe properties.

Cheers.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X:BtF & X-T (Windows 10 & Steam) Static Audio

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 19:04

Post up a link to your DxDiag please and we can take a look at your devices, drivers and codecs for you. We can also probably advise you of the latest correct manufacturer's sound driver to use.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ScifiGuy7
x3ap

Post by ScifiGuy7 » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 05:40

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 11. Mar 21, 19:04
Post up a link to your DxDiag please and we can take a look at your devices, drivers and codecs for you. We can also probably advise you of the latest correct manufacturer's sound driver to use.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pytaom1y5jlzl ... g.txt?dl=0

Just tried the Realtek_Audio_V7848_20160617 64 bit drivers from the Asus website. The game now keeps the correct audio device setting but I still get static.

Cheers.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 11:28

Thanks. I had a look at your DxDiag although it obviously does not show the Realtek sound driver. Your codec list looks OK for X gaming.

If your games are from Steam or GOG then have you verified the game installations? (Obviously use the appropriate X game names.)

Generally speaking I would get device drivers from the device manufacturers (in this case Realtek) and not the mobo site or via Windows Update. That 2016 Realtek driver you have found from ASUS is definitely not the latest release version (HD Audio Codec R2.82).

Go into Control Panel, Device Manager, Sound/Audio devices and disable any sound device and drivers that you do not use (right-click on a device in the list for a disable/enable pop-up).

Make sure that your speaker layout in Windows Sound Control or Realtek control panel is set to stereo or quadraphonic as these early games do not really support surroundsound (eg 5.1 or 7.1) in OSs after XP. Make sure the setting for EAX in the game splash screen is set to 'off'.

Your Windows Error Reports show several different X game issues of which some are related to D3DIM.DLL which is a key file from Win10's Microsoft Direct 3D suite. It may not itself be sound-related but it could point to further issues in your OS's files related to DirectShow, DirectSound and DirectX 9.0c - which are essential for playing early X games. It may be worth doing an OS file check such as here.

Good luck.

ScifiGuy7
x3ap

Post by ScifiGuy7 » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 17:26

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 11:28
Thanks. I had a look at your DxDiag although it obviously does not show the Realtek sound driver. Your codec list looks OK for X gaming.

If your games are from Steam or GOG then have you verified the game installations? (Obviously use the appropriate X game names.)

Generally speaking I would get device drivers from the device manufacturers (in this case Realtek) and not the mobo site or via Windows Update. That 2016 Realtek driver you have found from ASUS is definitely not the latest release version (HD Audio Codec R2.82).

Go into Control Panel, Device Manager, Sound/Audio devices and disable any sound device and drivers that you do not use (right-click on a device in the list for a disable/enable pop-up).

Make sure that your speaker layout in Windows Sound Control or Realtek control panel is set to stereo or quadraphonic as these early games do not really support surroundsound (eg 5.1 or 7.1) in OSs after XP. Make sure the setting for EAX in the game splash screen is set to 'off'.

Your Windows Error Reports show several different X game issues of which some are related to D3DIM.DLL which is a key file from Win10's Microsoft Direct 3D suite. It may not itself be sound-related but it could point to further issues in your OS's files related to DirectShow, DirectSound and DirectX 9.0c - which are essential for playing early X games. It may be worth doing an OS file check such as here.

Good luck.
Games verified, Realtek driver updated, other sound devices disabled in Device Manager, stereo selected at matching frequency of 44kHz and 16bit, no mention of EAX anywhere, and system file checker completed. Audio is still very much static unfortunately.

Is this the splash screen you were referring to? This is a screen capture.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqlbpa83czpze ... h.jpg?dl=0

No EAX setting here either.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/188ij2t24bxpamv/X.jpg?dl=0

Cheers

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 17:49

Yes, the second screenshot. Later X games offer EAX in there.

Could you link a fresh run of DxDiag after all the changes so that I can dig further please. Thanks in advance.

ScifiGuy7
x3ap

Post by ScifiGuy7 » Sat, 13. Mar 21, 12:14

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 17:49
Yes, the second screenshot. Later X games offer EAX in there.

Could you link a fresh run of DxDiag after all the changes so that I can dig further please. Thanks in advance.
Got desperate and dug out my old Diamond Monster Sound MX300 sound card. Unfortunately no 64 bit Windows drivers were ever written for it. :(
I've now removed it for the dxdiag and rebooted. Even tried the AC97 option through BIOS and case front audio output. Same result.

I've removed my microphone and disabled nvidia HD audio.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yl8nrut4ucflg ... g.txt?dl=0

Cheers.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 13. Mar 21, 12:35

Thanks. The DxDiag looks OK. Can I check that it is all game audio that comes out as static, ie music, speech, effects?

One thing that you could try is to run the games in 'XP with SP3' compatibility mode. You will need to run them while in supervisor mode too.

ScifiGuy7
x3ap

Post by ScifiGuy7 » Sat, 13. Mar 21, 15:41

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 13. Mar 21, 12:35
Thanks. The DxDiag looks OK. Can I check that it is all game audio that comes out as static, ie music, speech, effects?

One thing that you could try is to run the games in 'XP with SP3' compatibility mode. You will need to run them while in supervisor mode too.
Properties from the program file with game opened via steam shortcut:
No matter which mode I choose (even if I untick the box), it always returns to Windows 7 compatibility mode with reduced colour mode also selected. Also it automatically deselects [ ]Run this program as an administrator.

Properties in a shortcut made from the program file then placed on the desktop:
The game's sound *menu* will fail under 95, 98/ME, and XP. The sound menu is still able to be closed under Vista, 7, and 8. [ ]Run this program as an administrator is greyed out.

In every example there is a very loud static noise is over the top of the normal audio which I can just barely make out in the background. Hang on!!!
Just turned the music slider in the game down to '0' and voila! Speech and effects working 100%.

So now that it's isolated, how can I fix the music issue?

Cheers.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 13. Mar 21, 15:54

That I can probably help with. An old and trusted remedy for music replay issues is to convert the in-game music files from whatever format they are in now to .wma format. You can get free reformatting tools .xxx -> .wma from the internet.

Back up the original music files first so that you can go back to step one if anything goes wrong in the reformat.

I have no idea why your OS is playing up over your administrator and compatibility settings.

Good luck.

ScifiGuy7
x3ap

Post by ScifiGuy7 » Sat, 13. Mar 21, 16:03

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 13. Mar 21, 15:54
That I can probably help with. An old and trusted remedy for music replay issues is to convert the in-game music files from whatever format they are in now to .wma format. You can get free reformatting tools .xxx -> .wma from the internet.

Back up the original music files first so that you can go back to step one if anything goes wrong in the reformat.

I have no idea why your OS is playing up over your administrator and compatibility settings.

Good luck.
You've been a great help. Thanks very much. :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”