X3AP Retail versions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 17. Mar 12, 22:15

I have installed the no steam exe., all fine so far.
Except AP still shows on Steam and even though I have set it to NOT auto update, Steam keeps altering the setting to auto update! :evil:

My question is, will Steam still try to update even though I have the no steam exe.?

This is not as smooth as I hoped. :|

*edit* I guess what I was hoping for with the no Steam exe., was that Steam would then disregard AP altogether, I think I was maybe hoping for too much in that. :roll:
Last edited by greypanther on Sat, 17. Mar 12, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sat, 17. Mar 12, 22:18

greypanther wrote:I have installed the no steam exe., all fine so far.
Except AP still shows on Steam and even though I have set it to NOT auto update, Steam keeps altering the setting to auto update! :evil:

My question is, will Steam still try to update even though I have the no steam exe.?

This is not as smooth as I hoped. :|
game will show up on steam because the game itself is not taken of it, the installation on your PC is, if you want to be 100% sure you are "safe" copy the whole folder somewhere off steam and use it as your heart desires :)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 17. Mar 12, 22:21

I had forgotten you could do that, DOH!
I will try it, thanks. :)

David Howland
x3tc

Info.

Post by David Howland » Sun, 18. Mar 12, 09:54

Please let us know how you get on greypanther.
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 18. Mar 12, 18:09

Copied it to the other partition easy! :)
Now I have two versions of AP in effect. One Steam version, another not linked to Steam, which I do not think will update, even if the Steam one does! ( I think. :roll: )

RicoOcho
xr

Post by RicoOcho » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 03:46

Boo..i was hoping AP would come out here in the States:(..i was stoked
An object in motion, stays in motion unless acted on by an outside force.
Sir Isaac Newton, The meanest person in space.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Wed, 21. Mar 12, 20:39

RicoOcho wrote:Boo..i was hoping AP would come out here in the States:(..i was stoked
Can you just get the Steam version then apply the no-Steam patch?

Graxster
x3tc

Post by Graxster » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 00:53

So it's now April 14, 2012, and no English\USA Albion Prelude DVD? The only one listed in the Egosoft store is German. I've purchased all X-games up to Terran Conflict. I refuse to install Steam in order to purchase AP. Hate everything about Steam. And no, you'll never talk me into going back to using it. :)

I sincerely hope that X Rebirth will be a store-bought, standalone DVD. Would be a shame to make it a Steam game also. :(

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 04:11

VincentTH wrote:Can you just get the Steam version then apply the no-Steam patch?
AFAIK, it doesn't install w/o steam, so you have to install steam to get it running and THEN you can apply the patch. I remember spending 3 damn hours troubleshooting that thing.

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Sun, 15. Apr 12, 06:20

Graxster wrote:So it's now April 14, 2012, and no English\USA Albion Prelude DVD? The only one listed in the Egosoft store is German. I've purchased all X-games up to Terran Conflict. I refuse to install Steam in order to purchase AP. Hate everything about Steam. And no, you'll never talk me into going back to using it. :)

I sincerely hope that X Rebirth will be a store-bought, standalone DVD. Would be a shame to make it a Steam game also. :(
I got my English AP DVD a week or so ago. Maybe they ran out?
I fly Terran for the accents

scooter14
x3ap

Post by scooter14 » Thu, 24. May 12, 19:31

At this point I'm really over it. Egosoft, future reference:

DO NOT USE STEAM TO DISTRIBUTE YOUR GAME.

1. I don't enjoy having to wait 3 hours while the game downloads on our slow US servers. Yes, i do have to do reinstalls once in awhile when stuff goes haywire with Steam.

2. I don't enjoy having to install a third party app that tries to insinuate in everything I do game related.

3. I faithfully buy Egosoft games on disk and patiently wait for patches and DRM updates.

Seriously? Why all the drama over physically publishing and distributing a game disk in the US? I'm sick of endless workarounds and technical issues with Steam and X3:AP... I feel left out and pretty damn betrayed that I can't enjoy the game the way the rest of the world can.

How about it? US disk? No Steam? Please?!!!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 24. May 12, 19:46

All released X3AP versions are bound to Steam. However, with the NoSteam executable you can play X3AP, even if Steam is not installed (you still need Steam to install X3AP). See also the in the download entry linked FAQ article.

As for reinstalling and having to download the whole game again: Why do you make no backup of your X3AP folder? Steam has its own backup feature, but also by simply copying the X3AP "addon" folder to another directory and recopying, once you want / have to reinstall, you should be able to save a considerable amount of time.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

scooter14
x3ap

Post by scooter14 » Fri, 25. May 12, 16:22

Sorry gents (and ladies?) bit of frustration and bad form.

I really do hate Steam and I'm hoping Egosoft will rethink their involvement with them. An AP addon / Bonus content download for registered owners of X3:TC DVD would be sweet sauce.

Thanks for your patience... I'll give the backup feature a try. :)

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Fri, 25. May 12, 19:13

No Australian release? No AP for me ;_;

rayray1123
x3tc

Post by rayray1123 » Wed, 30. May 12, 18:09

i need to have the disk version of it since i have dial up it would take months to download it so steam is not an option :x and they would have such a big following if they did a little advertising over here

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 30. May 12, 18:25

If by "over here" you mean the US, then you're almost certainly not seeing advertising for the simple reason that there is no US publisher for the game.

Without getting bogged down in the details, many of which I don't know anyway, US publishers tend to be more conservative than in many other parts of the world, and less willing to take on titles that do not fit into the major FPS/RTS/RPG genres. Indeed, with the high fixed costs associated with a run of DVD production and packaging, it's increasingly hard for publishers in many countries to justify releasing games that way unless they can be pretty sure of selling millions of copies.

If you live in a country that doesn't have a publishing or distribution deal, then there is nothing stopping you from ordering the game from an importer, or from a supplier willing to ship internationally. The Egosoft shop does this, as do various retailers. You don't even have to order the English version. If you can only find, say, the German version available for international delivery, then the only difference is in the packaging; the contents of the DVDs are exactly the same. :)

Oh, and as always: please take general discussion of the pros and cons of Steam to the extensive Steam thread in the X Rebirth forum. :)

ken851
x3

Post by ken851 » Mon, 25. Jun 12, 17:57

1 -- I have the Superbox, but the DVD i damaged, is there any way I can get a replacement if I send the disk back to ??? with postage ???.

2 -- I have finally got X- beyond the fontier, X2 The Treath and Reunion to work on GA790 DX4, 5670 1Gb radon, 8 Gb ram 7 pro 64 bit using cat 12.3. updating, C++ 2010. I am super chuffed to see the grafics, and the game play on one of my 2 screens. Deleated from XP PC and reinstalled on to 7pro 64 bit.

3. I wish the command screens was on a floating screen to the other physical screen. Because I am slow and old I take time to do things.
4- I am one of those who want a hard copy on DVD.
I like your manuals in PDF. I will be printing some of the pages. I wish I had a A1 printer on got A4.
5- I love the old games as they are (excluding bugs) but wound like them upgraded to the new TEC of 64 bit, multi screen, 3D passive.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 25. Jun 12, 18:09

ken851 wrote:I have the Superbox, but the DVD i damaged, is there any way I can get a replacement if I send the disk back to ??? with postage ???.
That's something you'd have to ask the publisher, as they are the ones who deal with the companies that produce the disks. However, they would be under no obligation to do so (unless the disk was damaged when you bought it) and quite frankly I doubt they have spare disks lying around any more than Egosoft does. A much simpler solution might be to simply register your Superbox with Steam and download the game from there.

ken851
x3

Post by ken851 » Tue, 26. Jun 12, 14:23

Thank You

Iwill try to reg the superbox as soon as i figure it out.
Finding the discs are difficult as I dont use the net to buy.

thanks again

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 26. Jun 12, 22:02

If you have the x-encyclopedia edition,the code key is on the leaflet that explains how to bind the 'pedia.
Not sure of other versions.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”