X3AP Retail versions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Thu, 15. Mar 12, 22:19

Thank you for your patience CBJ. :)

I too got my War pack today, I will attempt to instal it soon. I have questions.

I can instal the whole thing on a seperate partition on my HD and my 3.1 TC will be unafected on the other partition?

If I go with the no steam exe., ( only the patching thing is a concern, steam can go jump! ) is it a one way street? i.e.: if you produce another good patch, can I reinstal the game on Steam and get it?

Does it mean you intend to offer new patches for AP? :roll:

Why oh why don't Egosoft do any merchandise?

*edit* I did not get the option to place the TC 3.2, Steam version on the other partition! ARGGHHH! I hope I can recover TC to no Steam and 3.1! Not a good start! :( In the past games have always asked where to instal. Another minus to Steam? :( ( Although when I think about it, maybe Steam always operates that way? )
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 00:31

greypanther wrote:If I go with the no steam exe., ( only the patching thing is a concern, steam can go jump! ) is it a one way street? i.e.: if you produce another good patch, can I reinstal the game on Steam and get it?
No, it's not a one-way street at all. Just tell Steam to update your local installation and you'll be back to the normal Steam version.
greypanther wrote:*edit* I did not get the option to place the TC 3.2, Steam version on the other partition! ARGGHHH! I hope I can recover TC to no Steam and 3.1! Not a good start! :( In the past games have always asked where to instal. Another minus to Steam? :( ( Although when I think about it, maybe Steam always operates that way? )
Steam installs all its games in one place. Just install Steam on the drive/partition where you want the games to be installed.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 00:38

Thanks CBJ. :)

I just did it and it all turned out fine it seems! :)

I still have TC 3.1. which is good.

There are differences in the graphics, it seems to me. AP is good.
I will comment on the game further I am sure, but thank you for more good work! :D

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 00:43

CBJ wrote:
greypanther wrote:If I go with the no steam exe., ( only the patching thing is a concern, steam can go jump! ) is it a one way street? i.e.: if you produce another good patch, can I reinstal the game on Steam and get it?
No, it's not a one-way street at all. Just tell Steam to update your local installation and you'll be back to the normal Steam version.
greypanther wrote:*edit* I did not get the option to place the TC 3.2, Steam version on the other partition! ARGGHHH! I hope I can recover TC to no Steam and 3.1! Not a good start! :( In the past games have always asked where to instal. Another minus to Steam? :( ( Although when I think about it, maybe Steam always operates that way? )
Steam installs all its games in one place. Just install Steam on the drive/partition where you want the games to be installed.
Building on what CBJ said, it is possible to move your Steam installation and all downloaded games without having to reacquire your games.

Follow the instructions here. I've done this on my main gaming PC, and can confirm it does work. :)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 01:03

Thank you. :)

I have tried to download the AP bonus pack, but it will not let me. It says a sav. does not exist? Any help with out more detail and a shift to the other forum? :D

I will try your advice Ty, thank you.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 01:10

greypanther wrote:I will try your advice Ty, thank you.
No problemo :)

Regarding your AP bonus pack problem, do you mean you can't download it from the Egosoft site, or you're having trouble installing it? I've just managed to download it from here with no problems. :S

Installing it, it needs to be pointed at the Steam directory:

c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict\addon (for me - might be different for you!)

Hang on... are you trying to back up your save files when installing? If you have none, that might be why it's having trouble installing.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 01:14

Downloading is fine ty. :)
When I try to instal I get told that a sav. file doesn't exist and I get the options to retry; abort or ignore?

*edit* OK! I unticked the save games option and it appears to have downloded, Thank You again. :D
Last edited by greypanther on Fri, 16. Mar 12, 01:19, edited 2 times in total.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 01:17

greypanther wrote:Downloading is fine ty. :)
When I try to instal I get told that a sav. file doesn't exist and I get the options to retry; abort or ignore?
Odd. Try ignoring it maybe? If that doesn't work, rerun the installer and untick "Back up saves" when you get the opportunity before installing. That might work. :S

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 01:18

Please see my edit above. Thank you Tycow.

Incidently, I did have save games...

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 01:22

greypanther wrote:Please see my edit above. Thank you Tycow.

Incidently, I did have save games...
Very odd then... at least it works now. :D

Snickly
x3tc

Post by Snickly » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 09:19

ok CBJ Thanks I will do that :)
Snickly -signing off

jeti
x4

Post by jeti » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 13:22

Firewrath wrote: I know I'm just one lost buy* VS the newer 'larger audience' and that statistically I don't matter, but I just wanted to throw this up and have a say anyways.
As another one of the (most likely) lost buys, I agree. It is too bad you had to choose Steam instead of, for example, Gamers Gate or Impulse. My problems with Steam are primarily technical though I get the feeling I would hate it if I did get it working. I have been your customer long time and it sad to part with you.
Firewrath wrote: (*I'll admit the 'NoSteam.exe' has me tempted to buy AP, but with no guarantee that it'll be updated and all AP patch updates released only through Steam, it seems unlikely.
I know the feeling. I actually can't get the Steam to connect at all on my game Windows, but I'm tempted to buy the box and try if I could move the installation from some other machine to it. The problem is that I don't own or have access to a Windows computer with full Internet access that Steam needs. I seem to remember that at least sometime you could get Steam working with Wine but lately I have been too busy to try.
Firewrath wrote: However maybe Steam will wiseup to people like me and release a client that only validates game installs, patches games, isnt 200-300megs and doesn't have to be run constantly to play the games.
...Ya know, like Impulse. :P)
Or at least, like Impulse used to be. It is now called GameStop and seems only to sell Steam enabled games. I used to buy games there regularly but now I can't even remember when I last bought something.

David Howland
x3tc

Site Shop?

Post by David Howland » Sat, 17. Mar 12, 11:11

I was looking at the site shop yesterday for the disk version of AP but could not see a package that specifically mentioned a disk in content.
Can anyone tell me, is it just badly described or are they out of stock?
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 17. Mar 12, 11:17

Link to the Egosoft Shop

First two entries are the X3 Terran War Pack (Multilanguage, English Box):
Description of the X3 Terran War Pack wrote:X3 Terran War Pack (English Box)
Format: PC DVD-Rom
and the X3 Albion Prelude (German box, requires X3TC):
Description of the X3 Albion Prelude Addon package wrote:X3 Albion Prelude (German Box, requires X3: Terran Conflict)
Format: PC DVD-Rom
Both Boxes are still in stock.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

David Howland
x3tc

Thanks!

Post by David Howland » Sat, 17. Mar 12, 11:35

Thank you for such a prompt response X2-Illuminatus!
That is certainly very clear! I do not know what section I was in yesterday but I clicked on shop and I certainly did not get into that section?
Site Admin. might want to check out the linkages there, Ego. could be missing out on the custom of many casual potential buyers?
The BANISHED RETURNS.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 17. Mar 12, 22:15

I have installed the no steam exe., all fine so far.
Except AP still shows on Steam and even though I have set it to NOT auto update, Steam keeps altering the setting to auto update! :evil:

My question is, will Steam still try to update even though I have the no steam exe.?

This is not as smooth as I hoped. :|

*edit* I guess what I was hoping for with the no Steam exe., was that Steam would then disregard AP altogether, I think I was maybe hoping for too much in that. :roll:
Last edited by greypanther on Sat, 17. Mar 12, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sat, 17. Mar 12, 22:18

greypanther wrote:I have installed the no steam exe., all fine so far.
Except AP still shows on Steam and even though I have set it to NOT auto update, Steam keeps altering the setting to auto update! :evil:

My question is, will Steam still try to update even though I have the no steam exe.?

This is not as smooth as I hoped. :|
game will show up on steam because the game itself is not taken of it, the installation on your PC is, if you want to be 100% sure you are "safe" copy the whole folder somewhere off steam and use it as your heart desires :)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 17. Mar 12, 22:21

I had forgotten you could do that, DOH!
I will try it, thanks. :)

David Howland
x3tc

Info.

Post by David Howland » Sun, 18. Mar 12, 09:54

Please let us know how you get on greypanther.
The BANISHED RETURNS.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 18. Mar 12, 18:09

Copied it to the other partition easy! :)
Now I have two versions of AP in effect. One Steam version, another not linked to Steam, which I do not think will update, even if the Steam one does! ( I think. :roll: )

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”