How to start AP as Judith Ukada

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RavenLycanth
x3tc

How to start AP as Judith Ukada

Post by RavenLycanth » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:01

Hey,

I'm asking myself how the heck i'm supposed to make money with this:
Argon Discoverer:
Capacity: 18 (class S)
Weapons: none
Shields: 1 MW

Budget: 2500 Credits
I can't even pass the tutorial because i can't destroy the containers!!

wRAR
x3tc

Post by wRAR » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:20

What start is it?

RavenLycanth
x3tc

Post by RavenLycanth » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:23

Judith Ukada
"Unknown Argon"

grumman
x3tc

Post by grumman » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:26

Doesn't the Discoverer have M class cargo? I'd suggest scavenging: get over to the war sectors, look for a Remote Guided Warhead or similarly juicy missile, and pick it up and sell it.
Grumman - killjoy extraordinaire

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:26

All Discoverers accept M class cargo.

Scavenge missiles from combat zones.

Steal a ship or two from retrieval missions.

Upgrade ship, buy cargo life support.

Do taxi missions.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

RavenLycanth
x3tc

Post by RavenLycanth » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:32

i've tried to steal a ship, they sent a discoverer and slowly killed the ship, then me plus my fame sank to neutral.

what's the next warzone to argon prime?
the pirate sectors around farnhams legend are unbearable peaceful ...

medea_dei
x3tc

Post by medea_dei » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:46

Elena'a Fortune usually has some action going on. You will find missiles there.

wRAR
x3tc

Post by wRAR » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:46

RavenLycanth wrote:what's the next warzone to argon prime?
Omycron Lyrae (further to the East from Farhham's)

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:46

Anonymous Argon is a very challenging start because you start out with so little, especially if you're unfamiliar with the game. I'm pretty sure it only says "average" difficulty on the start screen because no one is actively out to kill you from the very start of the game.

As has been mentioned, the easy way to do small-ship starts is usually to scavenge missiles from skirmishes between local authorities and pirates until you can afford Cargo Life Support, a Mineral Scanner, or a few IREs. From there on out, you can work your way up doing missions.
what's the next warzone to argon prime?
It's a long haul to the warzone -- it only goes on in the OL region.
Cruise around for long enough and you'll run into something.

RavenLycanth
x3tc

Post by RavenLycanth » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 14:52

for a new player it's rather "impossible"

i'm not new but geez .. you can't do anything

last game i had some weapons and shot my way through but this ship has NOTHING

you can't do any missions except finding lost ships, but if it's too far away they kill you for "stealing", because those ships are heavily damaged and very slow; they rarely make it in time

Legionos
x3tc

Post by Legionos » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 15:06

you need to think outside the box

x isnt just about pew pew and you shoukd know this bring a 2004 guy

RavenLycanth
x3tc

Post by RavenLycanth » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 15:11

i know but ... flying through half the galaxy to a sector between two xenon sectors and the only "safe" path is full of pirate bases ... to dig in space graves ?

nap_rz
x3tc

Re: How to start AP as Judith Ukada

Post by nap_rz » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 15:15

RavenLycanth wrote:Hey,

I'm asking myself how the heck i'm supposed to make money with this:
Argon Discoverer:
Capacity: 18 (class S)
Weapons: none
Shields: 1 MW

Budget: 2500 Credits
I can't even pass the tutorial because i can't destroy the containers!!
sell that ship and spacewalk through the game :lol:

that reminds me of something, why there's no job in the game that we get money from repairing NPC ships with our repair laser??? :lol: :lol:

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 15:34

Last time I did UA, I roleplayed as a "smuggler" type, moving space fuel and eventually space weed around in small quantities. You can unload stuff one or two at a time for full-price cash (even after the Herron's station is full) if you look for a good spot to barter.

It was tedious and slow, but I was kind of in that sort of mood at the time. I think I played it up until I was in an M3 before I quit.

And I'm sorry for implying you were new, btw :oops: I didn't notice the date on your forum tag before posting.
nap_rz wrote:sell that ship and spacewalk through the game :lol:
hah, I actually tried that once! N-S Style ftw!

But then this happened...

And it wasn't pretty.
so much for that idea... :lol:

RavenLycanth
x3tc

Post by RavenLycanth » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 15:40

in X2 i managed to lose my M3 ship, eject before it exploded and send another M3 ship to pick me up ... in the middle of the final battle

that was a lot easier than this ^^

mcjomar
x3tc

Post by mcjomar » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 16:04

I've actually just done this start, and gotten a nova.
Admittedly I also made use of the stock market prior to the update, but it should still be workable.

Firstly Elena's Fortune, and all nearby pirate sectors are a goldmine in disguise. As other players have said, scavenge stuff. Especially missiles.
Brennan's triumph is also a good spot - and Ore Belt seems to start with a pirate base in the system. Camp these three areas for salvage after pirate strikes, and make sure to run everytime something glares at you in a vaguely threatening manner (yes, yes, boring, I know) and you'll survive.

Once you've improved both speed and cargobay to max doing this, begin saving for your 4 IREs (no, ignore the shields, if you get hit, you're probably dead anyway, whether you've got 1k or 3k of shields).
After you've got guns, THEN, get shields.
Also try and buy the fight software mk1 (you don't *need* more than this).

After this, hunt other M5s, and some M4s. Carefully. Missiles are nasty - if you've scooped some mosquitos, they may be useful (I prefer to use lasers and strafing to deal with missiles myself).
Eventually you may get lucky - try to focus on teladi or argon pirate hulls, such as the buster, or harrier, or whatever. These - for me - have been the easiest to "convince" to bail. But watch out for missiles, especially wasps! Owch!

At some point, swing past Siezewell in teladi space, and dock to unlock the teladi stock market. It costs 10k in credits, and is worth it. Make sure to buy a basic nav sat to keep track of purchases here, and also make sure to have (if you haven't already) a trading system extension installed on your ship to allow you to access the stock market.

Follow existing guides on the stock market, and you should be able to use it to supplement your earnings.

Also - target Duke's freighters. Sometimes you can get one to bail. This means a free hauler for you. Use free haulers to help you out by setting them up as a remote trading system - send them to buy cheap wares, then find a place low on that ware, and sell for profit. If you find a milk run , then go for it.

Once you've earned about 2-3 mill, make sure you've got cloudbase south east on your map, and watch the shipyard - the ship you'll want is the nova raider L class - imho the best single person fighter in the game bar none.

4 hepts, 2pacs, 2 ires, 3 25mw shields, and 190ms speed, plus 216 cargo units makes for a good balance between firepower (for capping) speed, and hauling space, and it's pretty good on the turn too. It's also the same price as a basic nova - use "i" when checking ships in the shipyard to get a full statistical layout of the ship, and compare the two. the basic nova is slower, has a slightly bigger cargobay, but that's pretty much it. Beyond that, the Raider is the better ship, and with a rear turret for missile defence (I use an IRE for rapid fire) you should be all set as long as you're a good combat pilot.

On my gun choice - 4 hepts still has a lot of power without draining the capacitor too rapidly. a pair of PACs serve duty for stripping shields/armour in a controlled manner, and the IREs even more so.
If it bothers you, just add an ION disruptor (bought from the boron) for shield killing, and a mass driver (you can find these in argon space) for hull eating. Carrying a stock of missiles that you can use and don't need to sell is smart money - review each missile you salvage early on to see which ones are good for what.

Also - autosave/dock in stations as often as possible, and especially before a combat encounter (when possible of course). Just in case.
SHA Vice Admiral

chibajoe
x3tc

Post by chibajoe » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 16:07

Seriously? You've been playing since X2 and haven't figured out that defend station missions in core sectors require absolutely no effort on your part to complete and so are basically free money? :?

RavenLycanth
x3tc

Post by RavenLycanth » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 17:05

none there

Lanky
x3tc

Post by Lanky » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 17:23

I did this start, now up to 120mil and a Griffin but put in the hard yards at the start selling e-cells etc to increase cargo and buy the right addons got a couple of bails, repaired them and sold the first to get cash to upgrade enough then the second I moved intoa nd went from there.
York "Lanky" Rider
Marine, Steve's Psychos

Frymaster-UK-

Post by Frymaster-UK- » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 18:27

RavenLycanth wrote:for a new player it's rather "impossible"

i'm not new but geez .. you can't do anything

last game i had some weapons and shot my way through but this ship has NOTHING
it's probably worth noting that you've just described the starting scenario for the very first X-Beyond The Frontier ;)

It was hours and hours before I had to courage to leave the bosom of nice safe starting sector.

Back then, I seem to remember having the money to afford SETA was a major milestone. And yes, it cost around the same back then as it does now.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”