The X3 Savegame Manager - updated 07/01/2012 - X3: Albion Prelude Version released

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Sun, 11. Mar 12, 18:44

I used this for TC before, and it works fine.

Now, when I update it for AP, and run it, I can save campaign, but restoring a previous campaign always fail. It insists on looking for save directory under X3TC, not X3AP. Here is the error message verbatim (but retyped):

Code: Select all

The currently active campaign appears to have no savegame files in the X3TC savegame folder.
Could it be because the DiD mode have no save game?

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Sun, 11. Mar 12, 22:00

VincentTH wrote:I used this for TC before, and it works fine.

Now, when I update it for AP, and run it, I can save campaign, but restoring a previous campaign always fail. It insists on looking for save directory under X3TC, not X3AP. Here is the error message verbatim (but retyped):

Code: Select all

The currently active campaign appears to have no savegame files in the X3TC savegame folder.
Could it be because the DiD mode have no save game?
The DID games are stored on a remote steam server.
I fly Terran for the accents

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 11. Mar 12, 23:46

Mine works fine.

There is a new Java update.
I am hesitant to let it update ,due the previous problems I had last time.

Edit

Update installed ok this this time :D
Last edited by TTD on Fri, 16. Mar 12, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

rafezetter
x3

Post by rafezetter » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 14:04

I tip my hat sir *doff* now I can alter anything for testing and not worry about losing my main game :D

edit: ahh this uses the SAME internal game files in the x3 folder just alters the savegame output

I need to be able to have separate x3 installations, files n all, so that if something goes bad INTERNALLY it wont hurt anything

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 16:43

@ rafezetter: I think you have misunderstood as mrbadger's manager puts gamesave campaigns into subfolders in your Documents folder (or wherever you redirect it to). It does not care less where your actual gamefiles are or how many X3TC versions and folders you have since all X3TC games (apart from X3AP) will try to save in the same place in Documents etc. Similar application for X3R.

Nothing in a gamesave can or will change your program gamefiles (although the gamesave might not work with them if different version/mods).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Alacard1
x4

Post by Alacard1 » Tue, 3. Apr 12, 12:38

Very well done program but... overly complicated :(

[ external image ]

Just compress your saves into the save game directory. Delete the previously compressed saves & boom, your done :)

I truly think this program is well-made and from the perspective of the engineer who designed and built it, this application works perfectly. Credit where credit is due.

Why not just call a save game file set what it is... a "save game file set".

Seriously, A+ for effort though. I'm sure many find this application very useful though I cannot bring myself to spend an hour (reading 16 page manual, starting X3, testing whether I've got it right, etc.) learning how to use an application that Windows natively does.

/feedback/

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 3. Apr 12, 23:09

Alacard1 wrote:Very well done program but... overly complicated :(

[ external image ]

Just compress your saves into the save game directory. Delete the previously compressed saves & boom, your done :)

I truly think this program is well-made and from the perspective of the engineer who designed and built it, this application works perfectly. Credit where credit is due.

Why not just call a save game file set what it is... a "save game file set".

Seriously, A+ for effort though. I'm sure many find this application very useful though I cannot bring myself to spend an hour (reading 16 page manual, starting X3, testing whether I've got it right, etc.) learning how to use an application that Windows natively does.

/feedback/
Windows does not have an application that does all that this does.

If there is a manual for this,wonderful program,I have not needed to read it,as all the button are marked intuitively,I do not need to read the manual.

With a click of a button or two,I can check what campaigns I have.
And bring up a log where I have recorded what stage I am at and what mods I am using,or even which .exe to use to load the game without any problems.
I have many .exe files as I have many variations on X,with different combinations of scripts and mods,including both DVD and Steam installations.

Windows can do it all,but I would have to use many different parts of windows to do that.

As for over complicated,I find it makes life so much easier having all I need at the touch of a button in just one application. :P

EDIT...

Yes,those who work with the Windows system a lot, may find it second nature to just use Windows features and if they are efficient keyboard users,may find it just as quick or quicker .

But not all of us knows Windows inside out,and I'm not a touch typist,
so that is where Mr Badger's application comes in useful.

I was merely pointing out the other side to the coin.
No offense meant
Last edited by TTD on Wed, 4. Apr 12, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.

Alacard1
x4

Post by Alacard1 » Wed, 4. Apr 12, 00:30

I will not be replying to (or checking this thread) again (no flame war here).

This program does exactly what it says it will do.

It does it well.

I just offered my feedback.

Just my .02$

Have fun gaming :)

comedian
x2

Post by comedian » Thu, 12. Apr 12, 04:39

I had problems running this on Windows 7 X86_64 with Java 1.7 X86_64, so I recompiled it using 64-bit SWT and Eclipse.

My *new* version appears to work fine for me. YMMV.

It's here if you want it.

http://www.filedropper.com/x3tcsavegamemanager1i

*NOTE* This is the X3TC version *ONLY*.

pezza
x3tc

Post by pezza » Wed, 13. Jun 12, 23:53

does any1 know where to get saved games.. just lost all mine due to pc wipe.
thx in advance for the help

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Tue, 28. Aug 12, 20:24

This doesn't work for me. When I double click on the AP .jar nothing happens. I'm running the latest versions of 64 bit and 32 bit Java 7.
These days I mainly just talk to plants and dogs,
all human contact seems painful, risky, odd,
so I stay acting god in my own X-Universe!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 28. Aug 12, 20:48

@ Da-V-Man: I'm using Win7 x64 and Sun Java v7 Update 6 and the X3AP savegame manager opens and works just fine. Have you put the manager .jar in a folder with read/write permissions and no UAC or AntiVirus interference?

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Tue, 28. Aug 12, 20:51

Are you sure you have 'un-zipped' the file? The file is downloaded in .zip format so needs to be unpacked before use. :)
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Tue, 28. Aug 12, 21:37

I am running it on an administrator account. I also tried the x3tc version and when I execute it a message box pops up saying "A java exception has occured", but it doesn't specify what exception.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 28. Aug 12, 21:46

"I am running it on an administrator account." That still does not 100% prevent UAC interfering with anything put in Programs folders. Move it into a non-Programs folder if necessary. Make sure the .jar is seeing and calling the correct bit size java version (x(86) for 32 bit X3 usually).

If all else fails install latest Sun Java which I know works and redownload, extract and install the manager completely afresh.

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Tue, 28. Aug 12, 22:31

Reintsalling seemed to fix the problem. I installed the 64-bit jre and it still didn't seem to work, and then I installed the 32 bit afterwards on top of it and that seemed to fix the problem.

I guess the issue was that it required the 32 bit jre but was running it with the 64 bit version.

marcos09
xr

Post by marcos09 » Mon, 26. Nov 12, 01:05

gues ı'm doing something wrong 'couse when i double click on it it says unable to launch the app.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 26. Nov 12, 12:01

Coreblimey wrote:Are you sure you have 'un-zipped' the file? The file is downloaded in .zip format so needs to be unpacked before use. :)
@ marcos09

Also check you have latest Java in correct location.
And as Da-V-Man says,try using the 32 bit versions.

ahddib
x4

Post by ahddib » Sat, 24. Aug 13, 00:33

It doesn't seem to want to open for me. Any ideas? I have java already...
Game Player, Designer, Fanatic

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 24. Aug 13, 03:13

In what way won't open? Do you mean it opens as if it were a zip file archive, or that it just won't do anything?

The main reasons it hasn't run for people are that Java is out of date or something else is handling Jar files. Try downloading and installing Java again and see if that works.

It shouldn't be long before the new savegame manager is out anyway.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”