The X3 Savegame Manager - updated 07/01/2012 - X3: Albion Prelude Version released

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Deeparth
x4

Post by Deeparth » Fri, 17. Dec 10, 13:22

I want a vanilla and an XTM X3R on the same machine. How do i install the other game such that these 2 games don't interfere with eachother and i have save game seperate savdgame folders for each.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 17. Dec 10, 13:26

You can use the same savegame folder and use the savegame manager to switch each games saves in and out, depending on which game you want to play.

You should find this explained in the usage guide, if it isn't, then ask here for further clarification.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Carl99
x3tc

Post by Carl99 » Mon, 27. Dec 10, 16:42

I have a question for everyone:

I;m using the steam vershioon of X3TC, so when i try to create a new campaign it just screws u since it dosen;t boot X3TC itself and manually booting then quiting fails to fix the isue.

The thing is i currently have 2 campaigns stored in my savegames i need to seperate out and i can't seem to create a new campaign so that i can do this.

Walkthrough anyone?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 27. Dec 10, 17:07

Not sure what you mean there.

The Save game manager is NOT TIED to the game.
It just manages the saved games in your save folder.

If you have two dif. games in your current save folder
save it as campaign 1.

Rename the campaign to represent one of the game-saves.

Then "Fork" it. and give another name for your second saved game.

Then use the notation log area to remind you the save postion for the campaign.

Just be careful to get at least one auto save for the curent campaigne once you have separated them.
After that it shoild be ok,providing you remember which campaign is which.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 27. Dec 10, 17:09

Do you mean that the savegame manager isn't booting X3? It's not meant to, in fact it comes up with a message window telling you to start X3 and begin a new game, after which the new savegames will become associated with the campaign you just created and be managed by the savegame manager.

Is that what you meant?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Carl99
x3tc

Post by Carl99 » Mon, 27. Dec 10, 17:15

Ahhh, i read it to mean it would boot X3TC for me;).

Gah, bad comprehenshion skills:p

That said i may have another question in a moment so hang around a minute if possibble;).

EDIT: Everythings fine now: in the process of trying to restore my defualt campaign manually as i couldn't get the manager to do it, (no savegames DUH), i accidently left myself unable to play anmy of my save games. (bassiclly it dosen't check to see if the currently active campaigns stored savgame files are in fact in the savegames folder, it just assumes)

But i figured the issue out myself:), (putting them in the wrong folder. I have an o0ld backup folder for the vanilla games i played and iassumed that was the folder nto a backup. Bad labeling on my part:)).

dmatter
xr

Post by dmatter » Sat, 29. Jan 11, 23:26

Hello
I'm French I wanted to know is, if you provided a file to translate that into you one piece of software you can select the language, and you can have a French or another language you one software
if so what is this file?, if I sent the French translation you can include it in you one software?

currently in your source I found is that he or global.java text

sorry for me one but I use google trad English

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 30. Jan 11, 00:39

Sorry but that isn't something I can do easily.

I was planning on including something to make that possible, but I didn't have the time, and unfortunatelly still don't.

dmatter
xr

Post by dmatter » Sun, 30. Jan 11, 10:43

thank you for the reply
and keeps in mind for next update

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 30. Jan 11, 10:50

dmatter wrote:thank you for the reply
and keeps in mind for next update
This program is 'finished' from my point of view, but when Egosoft release their next game I'll be writing a completelly new savegame manager.
That will have much the same feature set, but it will include the option to produce other language versions.

I'll do a 'request for feature suggestions' thing when I do this. Not till the game is out mind....

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 30. Jan 11, 11:03

ooh! Mr Badger...can we have....?
:lol:

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 30. Jan 11, 11:35

Stuff I'm planning to do for the next savegame manager:

1: Support for every X series game plus TNBT.
2: Translations will be easier (always wanted this myself as well)
3: Skinning/themes so the look of it can be changed.

Feature (1) does mean that I could actually start now if there was time, but I'm just about to start a new teaching job, and I've got a whole supercomputer to play with for my physics stuff when I do, so don't expect anything soon :)

Nebulaewolf
x3

Post by Nebulaewolf » Tue, 15. Mar 11, 21:42

G'day there,

I have only just reinstalled X3 after many years and I noticed your great looking save game manger.

Would very much like to use it; but get this when trying to run it.... :(

[ external image ]

Could you spare a little help please? :)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 15. Mar 11, 22:07

Don't know if it helps ,but I had a similar problem until I updated to latest version of Javascript Runtime Environment.
Work ok then.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 00:33

@Nebulaewolf, the problem is caused by the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The solution is to update, which you can do here. A few people have had this problem in the past. I don't know how to avoid it other than to update the JRE

In the next version, which is currently in seriously early development and not even close to ready (won't be till TNBT is out), I'll be using C++, so this problem won't occur.

Nebulaewolf
x3

Post by Nebulaewolf » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 01:38

mrbadger,

Thank you.

Interesting: I had the latest JAVA 6.24 already on my system, in order to heed your advice I uninstalled it and re-installed just to see if that would make any difference.

It did :) :) :)

Many thanks, and I hope the C++ version works well and does the job. :)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 09:59

The "C" family languages ,iirc, is very intuitive and was used extensively with Amigas,all those years ago. I was seriously considering learning "C+" at one stage,bur my life took a different direction.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 10:11

I rather like C, used it exclusivelly for 5 years, but it's just not up to the demands of modern GUI based applications, not to mention the fact that programmming with C can sometimes be an exercise in unrelenting mental torture.

C++ is much nicer.

This is OT though, so that'll do on that.

Zero Tolerance
xr

"Bug" in Save game manager

Post by Zero Tolerance » Sat, 26. Mar 11, 14:22

Hi, I flicked through the pages of this thread, but didn't read every post.
Sorry in advance if I missed it.

My "problem"
I have a 3-monitor setup (2 Graphic Cards).
When I startup the SaveGameManager the first time I don't see the program window.

After opening task manager and setting the window to "Maximize" I saw the main window, but not the dialog box in which the program asks for the default name. When "killing" the process I got the message that the program was waiting for me. Logical, I have to name the campaign.

I've seen this behaviour before (in other programs) so I disabled all monitors but one, and hey, what do you know, the program window show up and I can input the campaign name.

When I enabled all my monitors and started the tool again - mmm, no program window. When I minimised it I saw it coming from the "right" (all my monitors are on the "left" of my main screen). So, one simple move command later program is on my screen again.

This last behaviour doesn't change, so every time I open the program, I have to go looking for the program window.

Is there a setting which I can change so as to tell the program to show up on the main screen? That would probably also solve the problem at first startup.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons. For thou art crunchy an taste good with ketchup.
Notice: My website is not always up and running - mostly during the day, but not always - will change soon.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 26. Mar 11, 15:32

That sounds like a problem with your setup rather than with the savegame manager, I don't have any idea how to solve it.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”