[TC] O B S

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gruber1232002
x3

Post by Gruber1232002 » Fri, 23. Jul 10, 20:43

Carlo the Curious wrote:Game version? As far as I know, from 2.7 onwards the player fleet is irrelevant. Remember that there's a random factor as well.
So... to clarify, I can have 10 pythons sitting around IS when I take a V. Hard patrol mission, but if I'm sitting in an M5 when I do it I'm going to get cheesy enemies?
AP 3.1 Vanilla + Bonus Pack. For now....

XENON
Boarding the Xenon TC 2.7

Exotic Boarding Maneuvers TC 2.7
2 TP's
2 M7M's

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 23. Jul 10, 22:03

Gruber1232002 wrote:
Carlo the Curious wrote:Game version? As far as I know, from 2.7 onwards the player fleet is irrelevant. Remember that there's a random factor as well.
So... to clarify, I can have 10 pythons sitting around IS when I take a V. Hard patrol mission, but if I'm sitting in an M5 when I do it I'm going to get cheesy enemies?
Er, no, he said exactly the opposite--player fleet no longer affects the opposition you face, so whether your assets in sector consist of a lone M5 or 373 M2s, you'll have the same enemies to fight (assuming the random number comes up the same both times).

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 23. Jul 10, 22:33

Those experiences were in a 2.7 game. Either the random factor just picked that moment to go to the high end, or else my "Graduate" combat rating and "Easy" missions just kept spawning 1-3 M5 ships until that moment, then decided to make things livelier.

If player fleet is irrelevant, then why did I keep facing combinations of M4, and M5 ships when I was flying an M3 in my last run through the game, with a lower combat rating than in the present one, yet keep facing almost nothing but a couple of M5s in the current game while piloting a Buster?

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Fri, 23. Jul 10, 23:07

Honved wrote:Those experiences were in a 2.7 game. Either the random factor just picked that moment to go to the high end, or else my "Graduate" combat rating and "Easy" missions just kept spawning 1-3 M5 ships until that moment, then decided to make things livelier.

If player fleet is irrelevant, then why did I keep facing combinations of M4, and M5 ships when I was flying an M3 in my last run through the game, with a lower combat rating than in the present one, yet keep facing almost nothing but a couple of M5s in the current game while piloting a Buster?
Player fleet means, other ships you own than the one you pilot yourself.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

Gruber1232002
x3

Post by Gruber1232002 » Fri, 23. Jul 10, 23:23

pjknibbs wrote:
Gruber1232002 wrote:
Er, no, he said exactly the opposite--player fleet no longer affects the opposition you face, so whether your assets in sector consist of a lone M5 or 373 M2s, you'll have the same enemies to fight (assuming the random number comes up the same both times).

My bad, what I meant by cheesy enemies was a couple of M4/5's. I take a sector patrol when I'm looking for a serious fight. I want white knuckles and sweat dripping off my joystick, otherwise I can't be bothered to spend that kind of time for a couple of million. So I'll try to be more clear.

The #/strength etc. of bad guys will now only be affected by my personal ship, rank and mission difficulty right?

Essentially nerfing the crap out of my habit of filling a sector with M2's before starting a fight.

If I have understood this correctly... gentlemen, (+ladies) I may have done my very last sector patrol.
AP 3.1 Vanilla + Bonus Pack. For now....

XENON
Boarding the Xenon TC 2.7

Exotic Boarding Maneuvers TC 2.7
2 TP's
2 M7M's

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Fri, 23. Jul 10, 23:30

As far as I can tell the player ship isn't counted either.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Fri, 23. Jul 10, 23:45

so in the end only the Fight rank and mission difficulty counts ? I hope there is still some challenge on higher fight ranks.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 24. Jul 10, 00:00

Seems so.

A very small test:
  • Fight rank: Harmless
    Mission difficulty: Very Hard (station defence)
    (= pool of 1-2 points, regardless of ships)

Player ships: 1xM3
    Spawns: 1xM5

Player ships: 1xM2, 10xM2 IS
    Spawns: 2xM5
With the old OBS the first case would be at least 23 points (M3/multiple M4s + M5s), and the second would be at least 2100 or so (multiple capships).

Palladin888
x3tc

Post by Palladin888 » Sat, 24. Jul 10, 01:04

I've done a number of very hard missions in my Vidar and they never seem all that hard to be honest. If it gets bad I just jump out after I have killed the person marked for death in combat missions.
X3TC Vanilla with bonus pack
Start: Terran Defender
Terran plot complete
Goner plot complete
New Home plot at 50,000,000 credits step
Operation Final Furry on last step.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Sat, 24. Jul 10, 01:57

Did the same pre 2.7 in my Heavy Hydra and always rush and ram the target (assasination missions) then proceed to kill all remaining ships, jump to the nearest gate if it becomes too dangerous. It was nice since for the current level it gave me some opposition and some work to do

nap_rz
x3tc

Post by nap_rz » Tue, 23. Nov 10, 03:16

how about in 3.0? is there any way to make player ships matters again? but perhaps toned down a bit?

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Fri, 26. Nov 10, 08:43

nap_rz wrote:how about in 3.0? is there any way to make player ships matters again? but perhaps toned down a bit?
From a very brief look it appears to be the same as 2.7.

Jawms
x4

Post by Jawms » Thu, 3. Mar 11, 19:20

Jawms wrote:Sorry for the resurrection of this thread.. but i had a bit of a head scratching moment shortly after reading the contents of the first post..

I took a "Very Easy" station protect mission from a station around OTAS HQ, and launched my fighters to handle the small swarm of M5's coming through the gate, although to my surprise, a Pirate Carrak then pushes in and i have to take it out with my panther..
How is that "Very Easy" ?

Heres a print screen..
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e261/ ... n00027.jpg
My fight rank was "Warlord" and i accepted the mission in a Kestrel, while my Panther was still at the Jumpgate.. over 15km away..
(Was lucky to get the screenshot with the carrak in it.. was at 1% hull :D

EDIT: Just went back and read the updated information.. guess this isn't as odd as i thought.. disregard this post :P

seePyou
x4

Post by seePyou » Mon, 13. Jun 11, 23:33

Starting to wondering about mission types I ended up here and what a great post!

But I needed something a bit more, so I made this excel file.

It is an Excel 2007 file, should work with the latest OpenOffice too. There are no macros in and you only need to change one cell to your own numeric rank which is also provided in the xls (far left).

I have also provided an Excel 97-2003 file, but the conversion reported that some visual queues I have placed (conditional formatting) will be lost - makes data easier to read but no lost functionality - and that the accuracy might also be affected (different usage of the rand functions most likely).

Hope it proves useful.

Edit: For those that might not about it, click on an empty cell inside the workbook and just press Delete, and then again, and again, and again... Random functions in Excel refresh whenever you do that, so you can keep pressing to view different "scenarios".

NOO3TASTIC
x3ap

Post by NOO3TASTIC » Sat, 6. Aug 11, 04:29

Jawms wrote:
Jawms wrote:Sorry for the resurrection of this thread.. but i had a bit of a head scratching moment shortly after reading the contents of the first post..

I took a "Very Easy" station protect mission from a station around OTAS HQ, and launched my fighters to handle the small swarm of M5's coming through the gate, although to my surprise, a Pirate Carrak then pushes in and i have to take it out with my panther..
How is that "Very Easy" ?

Heres a print screen..
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e261/ ... n00027.jpg
My fight rank was "Warlord" and i accepted the mission in a Kestrel, while my Panther was still at the Jumpgate.. over 15km away..
(Was lucky to get the screenshot with the carrak in it.. was at 1% hull :D

EDIT: Just went back and read the updated information.. guess this isn't as odd as i thought.. disregard this post :P
Was your Kestrel upgraded i.e Did it have ship equipment installed and shields/weapons in it. I am at fighter chief 88% in my current game and mainly doing corporations stuff before I start main plots. Defend stations when I take in an M5 have been constantly spawning 1 M8 and couple of M5 and one or two M3/M4 mix per defend station mission with average difficulty because corporations missions are usually average.

I tried a bit of experiment and took the defend station mission from Strong Arms HQ in a stripped down M5 (Funjin Raider) without shields and weapons and only Trading System Extension, Boost Extension and SETA installed. Mission spawned 4-5 M5-M3 ships and no M8. M8 along with few fighter ships was spawned when I took the mission in Fujin Raider with usual set of ship equipments and two 1MJ shields and 1 Impulse Ray Emitter. I got the same oponnents when took the mission in fully upgraded Kestrel with all ship equipment except Turbo Booster MK2 and Spacefly Collector and 15MJ shield 2PAC and 1 IRE in rear turret.

IMO a very easy mission at warlord ranking could pit you against an M7 even if you accept the mission in an M5. Try taking the mission in M5 with no weapons or shields and possibly a bit of hull damage. It might spawn M6 or M8 and no M7/M2/M1.

BTW game version is 3.1 with latest Bonus Pack installed. No mods/scripts.

-------

P.S Sorry for thread resurrection.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”