The X3 Online / Multiplayer FAQ

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

User avatar
Deadbeat_Spinn
Posts: 6106
Joined: Wed, 19. Nov 08, 21:47
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 16:54

If you really must know, the X series is a niche game not a mainstream game and Egosoft is a small company as opposed to EA, Valve, & Blizzard (as well as many others).
Image
Image
Image

jlehtone
Posts: 17253
Joined: Sat, 23. Apr 05, 21:42
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 16:58

freddiel wrote:Excellent thread, just what I was looking for, but instead of reading through all these links could someone tell me why X3 TC isn't multiplayer?
The assumption is that if you cannot read anything that has already been written, then you won't read the next copy of the explanation either.

It was not made that way. That is why.

User avatar
perkint
Posts: 4763
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x3tc

Post by perkint » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 18:01

I could be getting completely the wrong end of the stick, but I thought freddiel's comment was sarcastic as opposed to sincere.

"losing a fortune cos me and my 8 mates" seemed a little too much to be serious...

;)

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

User avatar
freddiel
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat, 24. Jan 04, 19:08
x3tc

Post by freddiel » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 18:06

perkint wrote:I could be getting completely the wrong end of the stick, but I thought freddiel's comment was sarcastic as opposed to sincere.

"losing a fortune cos me and my 8 mates" seemed a little too much to be serious...

;)

Tim

You haven't got the wrong end of the stick at all. :D
X3 TC 3.2
Bringing peace to the Commonwealth with overwhelming fire power.

Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?

irR4tiOn4L
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed, 19. Oct 05, 14:07
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 05:11

freddiel wrote:I mean Egosoft must be losing a fortune cos me and my 8 mates would love to play on a LAN.
That you have to buy 8 copies of Company of Heroes (or similar game) to play a simple LAN game is an absolute rort. It really ticks me off that multiplayer has been reduced to either 'online' or nothing at all

Lord Dakier
Posts: 2732
Joined: Fri, 8. Dec 06, 14:45
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 05:42

A simple 4 man lobby would be nice however, development costs money and so does expansion. Would you be willing to pay £5 per month to go online such as in World of Warcraft?
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz
CPU Fan: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Ripjaws-X
Graphic Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING Twin Frozr V
SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB SATA
Power Supply: 650W EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

irR4tiOn4L
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed, 19. Oct 05, 14:07
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 08:59

Lord_Dakier wrote:A simple 4 man lobby would be nice however, development costs money and so does expansion. Would you be willing to pay £5 per month to go online such as in World of Warcraft?
Id prefer a one-off cost, but that ongoing cost would probably be acceptable.

Having said that this is not World of Warcraft, even basic LAN play (let alone multiplayer) would involve an incredible amount of extra work and so theres just no point even thinking about it.

Its not a funding thing so much as it would mean fundamental changes to the game that go against both Egosoft's credo among this community and probably Egosoft's stance on game development. Itd be a big risk; no risk, no reward i guess though

rujikin
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri, 22. Jul 05, 09:46
x3tc

Post by rujikin » Tue, 8. Sep 09, 23:04

I know X3 isn't a multiplayer built game, but what if you released X3 Online as an expansion. You have to buy X3 than the online expansion to play it :D More happy players more money in the pocket
Using X3 AP + All TC plots enabled

User avatar
perkint
Posts: 4763
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 00:16

But the point is that multiplayer requires a massive development investment and the reliably predicted returns for something like X3 do not match up to the required investment.

By that I mean reliably predicted as in "This is how much we could rely on getting" not how much may come in as increased profit.

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

User avatar
Killjaeden
Posts: 5146
Joined: Sun, 3. Sep 06, 18:19
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 00:53

X3 lan with a couple of friends right after the begining...
1:'where are you guys?'
2:'OL'
1:'AP'
3:'Hatikvahs Faith, 50% hull dmg, swamped by M5'
4:'xenon coresect...dead'
...
5:'Jupiter, EVAing to Commonwealth'

No SETA?
sounds interesting
Image
XTC Mod Team Veteran. My current work:
Image

irR4tiOn4L
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed, 19. Oct 05, 14:07
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 04:04

Killjaeden wrote:X3 lan with a couple of friends right after the begining...
1:'where are you guys?'
2:'OL'
1:'AP'
3:'Hatikvahs Faith, 50% hull dmg, swamped by M5'
4:'xenon coresect...dead'
...
5:'Jupiter, EVAing to Commonwealth'

No SETA?
sounds interesting
Rubbish. Start off in the same sector and itd be great fun.

Development work is really what it comes down to

SinisterDeath
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun, 26. Apr 09, 04:32
x4

Post by SinisterDeath » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 07:34

It would be very interesting to have this in mmo format, or at least online-lan play with friends. Only way to compinsate for lack of S.E.T.A is to boost all the speeds, or make the zones smaller.. Specially in an mmo setting. People are impatient and don't like traveling for more then 5 minutes... Course the game would naturally de-evolve into GTA lets cause havoc... But thats what a bounty hunter system is for!

Does it make me a bad person, that I want to create a lan game, team up with one of my friends, and cap his ship and sell it?

irR4tiOn4L
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed, 19. Oct 05, 14:07
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 08:40

SinisterDeath wrote: Does it make me a bad person, that I want to create a lan game, team up with one of my friends, and cap his ship and sell it?
Yes. You are a VERY bad man as a result!

DeadlyDarkness
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri, 28. Jul 06, 19:36
x3tc

Post by DeadlyDarkness » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 14:08

A little off topic, but if you want to play company of heroes over a LAN, simply disable your internet/wireless, then start the game up with the disc in the drive, and get to the main menu. The game will do a CD check instead of an online check. Then minimise and activate your radio again. do this for the other computers and you can play.

This also works for other games, like Neverwinter Nights.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Posts: 20599
Joined: Mon, 15. Nov 04, 00:26
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 18:31

rujikin wrote:I know X3 isn't a multiplayer built game, but what if you released X3 Online as an expansion. You have to buy X3 than the online expansion to play it :D More happy players more money in the pocket
this could be very risky.

what if u spend a million to develop the expansion and only 5 ppl actually buy it.

theres no guarantee that lots of ppl will buy an expansion purely for a lan mod.

SinisterDeath wrote: It would be very interesting to have this in mmo format, or at least online-lan play with friends. Only way to compinsate for lack of S.E.T.A is to boost all the speeds, or make the zones smaller.. Specially in an mmo setting. People are impatient and don't like traveling for more then 5 minutes... Course the game would naturally de-evolve into GTA lets cause havoc... But thats what a bounty hunter system is for!
the issue of SETA always comes up. However its not just a massive problem, but it just illistrate game changes that need to be make. SETA is just one of many things that need to change, althou SETA is one of the easier changes

Post Reply

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”